Ole Miss NCAA Investigation continues

Yawn.  The Penn State ordeal convinced me once and for all that no P5 team will ever suffer any real consequences beyond maybe being ineligible for a bowl game in some cherry picked transitional losing season.  

If there is any reason the P5 should invite SMU into their ranks, it's that the death penalty was so harsh that it made the rest of P5 football infallible and perpetually immune to any real government.  

Some third string kicker gets suspended for a half against Wofford on September 10th.  End of story.  Nothing further to see here.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Ole Miss? No big deal.  Southern Miss?  Time for the NCAA to set an example.  

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Yawn.  The Penn State ordeal convinced me once and for all that no P5 team will ever suffer any real consequences beyond maybe being ineligible for a bowl game in some cherry picked transitional losing season.  

If there is any reason the P5 should invite SMU into their ranks, it's that the death penalty was so harsh that it made the rest of P5 football infallible and perpetually immune to any real government.  

Some third string kicker gets suspended for a half against Wofford on September 10th.  End of story.  Nothing further to see here.

Eh, they aren't P5 royalty so it's possible Ole Miss will get serious sanctions (not the death penalty), maybe even as much as the NCAA handed down to USC (west) for the Reggie Bush era violations.

9 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Eh, they aren't P5 royalty so it's possible Ole Miss will get serious sanctions (not the death penalty), maybe even as much as the NCAA handed down to USC (west) for the Reggie Bush era violations.

Public vs private. They didn't hit Ohio State nearly as hard. They may decide to hit Baylor hard though.

Edited by Cr1028

56 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

The NCAA got its hand slapped pretty hard by the courts in appeals for its punishments it levied against Penn State. I doubt the NCAA gets in-between a university and the law again any time soon, like the situation with Baylor.

Let the criminal and civil courts hash out those types of matters.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Is avoiding prosecution because you play football a permissible benefit?

1. Did they avoid prosecution because of something Baylor athletics did or was it the local police and/or DA? (If anyone avoided prosecution at all)

2. I'm not sure that would fit into whatever definition the NCAA is using...

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

While i agree with the statement about them not coming down like they once did i think the Miami comparison would be a much better one then Penn State.  While what happened at Penn State was horrible, the NCAA should have never got involved.  

Alabama got hit with some significant penalties as has USC so sometimes the royals are told they have no clothes.  

Both Penn State and Baylor are cases that are more in the realm of the legal system than a violation of NCAA rules. The NCAA isn't a part of the legal system and I don't think we'd really want them to be! 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

1. Did they avoid prosecution because of something Baylor athletics did or was it the local police and/or DA? (If anyone avoided prosecution at all)

2. I'm not sure that would fit into whatever definition the NCAA is using...

The staff talked to victims about the crime, that is something the Baylor athletics did. Also, the NCAA needs to look at their definition.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Baylor is the perfect school for the NCAA to come down hard upon. Small private school in the South, playing in a conference with big public giants, and an absolutely no-brainer of a case to punish them.

Baylor is going to be a piñata for the NCAA...

Given everything that has happened already surrounding Baylor, why has the NCAA been so quiet? Shouldn't they have already dropped the hammer on Baylor? What is the NCAA waiting for? I don't think there's even been an announcement that the NCAA is investigating Baylor.

1 minute ago, forevereagle said:

The staff talked to victims about the crime, that is something the Baylor athletics did. Also, the NCAA needs to look at their definition.

Best you could expect then is maybe some coaches being banned for a year or maybe a few scholarships removed for a few years. Hardly worth some of the harsh penalties some are calling for.

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

Best you could expect then is maybe some coaches being banned for a year or maybe a few scholarships removed for a few years. Hardly worth some of the harsh penalties some are calling for.

Since staff from the school was involved, it seems that there should be something coming their way. Not sure they should get the harshest penalty, but the coaching staff has no business talking to victims. This is different from FSU where the police acted of their own accord and there is no evidence of school involvement. The coaches involved should also have some sort of punishment.