La Tech mentioned as Top Candidate for AAC

10 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

Yes. Rice isn't it. LA Tech or Marshall. Ask yourself,  if you could pick 1 team to join your conference from CUSA, who would you pick?

Depends extremely on where I am geographically. I would guess in that sense La tech is the best compromise candidate.

Could C-USA get ULL to replace them, or has it fallen so much that it cannot poach the belt at will anymore?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If SMU can shoot for the Big 12, there is no reason that NT should not be aiming for the AAC.   Wins and losses can change, but location, academics, and size of school are a lot more stagnant.   The good news is that one good year can turnaround the perception of a program.   

I believe that NT is in as good of a position to move up as any other Western division CUSA team even with an awful recent record in the major sports.  In terms of a combination of location, markets, size, academics and potential; NT has advantages over every team.    Based on winning in the big three sports, NT would be at the bottom; but that is actually the easiest factor to change.   

Not one good year. Not at UNT. Multiple good years with wins that matter is what will turn heads and perception around. 

No one will buy the "we just need facilities and we will explode" argument anymore. And they shouldn't.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No conference wants a team at the FBS level that gets stomped 66-7 by an FCS team. It's just honesty. Our athletics are pathetic these days. Our sports need to improve and then maybe we can worry about conferences. Right now we bring nothing to the table other location.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Not one good year. Not at UNT. Multiple good years with wins that matter is what will turn heads and perception around. 

No one will buy the "we just need facilities and we will explode" argument anymore. And they shouldn't.

Obviously, the more good years the better.   However, one good year will turn the perception around at least till it is followed by a disaster such as occurred the season after the Dallas Bowl.    

Edited by GrandGreen

13 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I still see Rice replacing Houston if they get a promotion. NT ain't going anywhere right now.....if they do some one needs a raise.  

Most likely scenario is Houston and BYU to the Big 12. AAC will likely take Rice and MWC might take a team like UTEP. Either way, we aren't going anywhere and could be left with one or two fewer in-state rivals. I'd rather AAC take La Tech and MWC take someone besides UTEP. That way we can easily replace LaTech with ULL and not be much the lesser. 

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Obviously, the more good years the better.   However, one good year will turn the perception around at least till it is followed by a disaster such as occurred the season after the Dallas Bowl.    

Keep in mind season ticket sales DROPPED the year after the HOD bowl. 

Its going to take wins that matter and winning consistently. 

Sadly, that's the state this thing is in. 

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

We couldn't get so lucky.  The odds are that we lose some combination of Rice, Southern Miss, Marshall.  Hopefully just one.

My uneducated guess would be adding LA Tech to those three as the top 4. I hope there is very little movement this go around to buy time. I hate to think things are finally in place and then there is a major shake up/realignment and then all the teams are stuck in place for a long time.