we need to change our name?

6 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I like the way we brand ourselves now. Rick did that right.

UNT=university

NT=athletics

NT unites everyone who ever went here no matter the school name.

Another thing Rick did was prevent Dallas Lee from putting UNT on the helmet back in '03.

Thats one of a couple of things he is responsible for that I'll always be appreciative for.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6

I really like how people say things about national name recognition without any national polling data or market research to back it up.  I think that people recognize Texas State nationally more than any name our university could legally and logically could be changed too.  However San Marcus Community College beat us to it.  You know what things hurt name recognition the most; losing, lower starting salaries for graduates, changing your name every 30 years and alumni that would not be caught dead with anything with NTSU, UNT, or NTU printed on it that isn't a degree.  Pointless debate because I believe the people in charge know that changing the name won't improve anything in a substantial way.

• Upvote 2

UNT's a fine name.

North Texas is home to the fourth biggest metropolitan area in the U.S. with over 7 million people. If it was a state it would be the 14th largest in the U.S.

Our name establishes our status as the preeminent public university for this region.

Even though football and basketball have been weak for too long, when you look at where the school is today compared to where it was in the 1980s, a UNT graduate has a lot to be proud of.

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, rcade said:

UNT's a fine name.

North Texas is home to the fourth biggest metropolitan area in the U.S. with over 7 million people. If it was a state it would be the 14th largest in the U.S.

Our name establishes our status as the preeminent public university for this region.

Even though football and basketball have been weak for too long, when you look at where the school is today compared to where it was in the 1980s, a UNT graduate has a lot to be proud of.

Like back when we were beating TCU, Texas Tech, Rice and Texas(yeah it was a win)  in football in the Southwest Conference,...or when we beat Oklahoma State in baseball,..or when we were one of only three teams in the state of Texas to go to the NCAA's in 1988,...or the year our industrial technology Dept finish 18th out of 32 entries in the first ever GM Sunrace USA solar powered car race across the country,...all on a shoe string budget of $20K and the car was featured at the state fair later that year? I thought it was pretty cool seeing a crowd of people surrounding it's display, reading about the 10 day race and looking at the photos of that event. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We no more need to change our name than USC needs to change theirs.  Keeping the name tied to the region was smart. It is an awesome region, unlike for example Western Kentucky or Southern Mississippi. Just need to do everything possible to promote people thinking of the metropolitan area as 'The North Texas Region'.  And unlike USC who has an entire metro further South in San Diego, there is no more Northerly region in Texas.

I agree NT has made progress in some absolute ways since the 80s, but relatively speaking, other universities in the state have made so much more progress that in some ways we essentially regressed. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I am cringing as, in my head, I hear a chant rising from the opponent's fans. We are down by 17 points with two minutes to play and they have the ball.

"See you !(clap, clap) NT ! (clap, clap)".

Maybe I'm just hearing voices, but please lets not go there.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Who gives a s $@#&?!

I remember in the late '90s when people were walking around campus with T-Shirts that read "You can't spell C... without UNT."

At least we can be known for something other than sucking at sports.

Personally, I find it all pretty humorous.  I disagree with the original post that this somehow brings national disrespect.  Losing 66-7 to an FCS team at home brings national disrespect. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Had we continued marching through CUSA like we did the Sun Belt, winning seasons, winning bowl games, continued NCAA basketball appearances, etc., etc., owning a coffee UNT mug with the handle forming a "C" would probably be a cool thing to have.  Nationwide sales of UNT coffee mugs, with UNT getting a "piece" of the action.  Pun intended.  None of that happened and now we have egg on our face. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Like back when we were beating TCU, Texas Tech, Rice and Texas(yeah it was a win)  in football in the Southwest Conference,...or when we beat Oklahoma State in baseball,..or when we were one of only three teams in the state of Texas to go to the NCAA's in 1988,...or the year our industrial technology Dept finish 18th out of 32 entries in the first ever GM Sunrace USA solar powered car race across the country,...all on a shoe string budget of $20K and the car was featured at the state fair later that year? I thought it was pretty cool seeing a crowd of people surrounding it's display, reading about the 10 day race and looking at the photos of that event. 

I was talking about where we were overall in the 1980s, not just in athletics. UNT has grown up. It has a name that better fits its stature today than NTSU did.

I do think it would be cool to be able to pick up retro NTSU gear the next time I'm on campus. The Flying Worm will never be topped.

18 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

I am cringing as, in my head, I hear a chant rising from the opponent's fans. We are down by 17 points with two minutes to play and they have the ball.

"See you !(clap, clap) NT ! (clap, clap)".

Maybe I'm just hearing voices, but please lets not go there.

You just did. That would be an epic chant against us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, rcade said:

I was talking about where we were overall in the 1980s, not just in athletics. UNT has grown up. It has a name that better fits its stature today than NTSU did.

I do think it would be cool to be able to pick up retro NTSU gear the next time I'm on campus. The Flying Worm will never be topped.

I was too, which is why I mentioned the Solar Car success.  

Our chicks were even hotter back then.  There were four girls in the same Dr. Jeff Seager's Intro to Marketing class I took who were in the Miss Texas pageant that year.

And our band was even better.  They marched into the stadium on game days.  And one time, they caught a slap to the face through a negative comment by a music professor from uT.  And considering how little respect we have for that school the Mean Green Band stuck a finger right back in his eye by rotating the drum line towards the uT home side during a game, raising and showing a letter on the bottom of the drum that spelled "F" "U"...and then the guy's last name..of which I can't think of.  

Now That I think of it..this may have been in '91.  But it was the first game between the two schools since the '88 Train Robbery, and the front page of the Statesman that morning had a Dedicated report on it.

image.png

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On July 15, 2016 at 1:36 PM, letsgiveacheer said:

Yes, the mug joke comes around about every three years but this time it has quite a bit of traction. On my Facebook account, this is shown as the #1 trending "news"item today.

yes...I'm not on Facebook but had two friends both forward different UNT coffee cup images to me last week. I assumed it was trending in social media. 

"You can't spell PUNT or C_NT without U.N.T." 

I say all the more reason to brand/market sports & spirit gear with our letterman's interlocked NT....just like North Carolina, Southern California & Notre Dame. 

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Army of Dad said:

Nah, cerebus just allowed a hoodie joke in the ban announcement thread. The mods might be lightening up...

Which begs the question, how does that Ukraine thread keep going? Is it only American politics we Americans can't discuss?

#fightthepower

#moderatordoublestandards 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Which begs the question, how does that Ukraine thread keep going? Is it only American politics we Americans can't discuss?

#fightthepower

#moderatordoublestandards 

The Ukraine thread is about WAR! 

Not politics, way more important than that...

(yeah yeah, war is politics by other means, yada yada)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Army of Dad said:

The Ukraine thread is about WAR! 

Not politics, way more important than that...

(yeah yeah, war is politics by other means, yada yada)

So like people who believe in different forms of authority shooting at and killing each other? 

(treads lightly on the ban hammer)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 7/15/2016 at 3:42 PM, Ryan Munthe said:

NTSU has better name recognition, without a doubt. But the name "North Texas State" is way too third-rate directional college for me.

Florida State
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Ohio State
Arizona State
Mississippi State
Oregon State
Washington State
Michigan State
Boise State
Fresno State

I mean, ya know.  "State" schools can have some gridiron success.  Our best gridiron successes were under the NTSU name.  Check the all-time record of NTSU versus UNT.

It's not our fault that Texas is so big we went with North Texas back in the day. 

Go tell Mean Joe that the name NTSU is third-rate directional.  J.T. Smith.