Who will be our backup QB this season?

BillySee58

Who will be our backup QB this season?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to be our BACKUP QB this season?

• Connor Means
    • Caleb Chumley
    • Quinn Shanbour
    • Mason Fine
    • Alec Morris
    • Other

I think Fine can make an immediate case for being the first backup. Weight don't mean nothin if he is able to prove he can sling it.

I don't think the staff brings someone else in this year. I think they'll use this offseason (read: more time) to bring a HS and another transfer QB for 2017.

1 hour ago, UTSA Fan said:

I guess this opens the floor to ask how much time does a qb need to get acclimated enough to be successful? 

Supposedly they'll have everything installed in 5 days. That's one of the Air Raid (even spinoffs) biggest pushes.  It is very easy to learn. 

1 hour ago, UTSA Fan said:

What's the critical element for success or failure - timing, reading coverages, etc.?

Reading coverages/ defense to figure out what the best play to put your team in based on what D gives you by alignment. IMO. 

Looking at their high school high light tapes on youtube.  Means looks like the slightly better prospect.  He played against tougher competitions at 5A I believe also.  Given a fresh start and equal time to develop this spring I would be surprised if Quinn shot past him in the depth chart.  As pedestrian as DeMarcus was (which says more about the QB in depth chart ahead of him last year), I am very surprised that nether Quinn nor Connor got a shot.   As bad as the offense was last year they could have put Dillman out there running the flexibone and I would have commend the coach for at least trying everything.

Of the QBs left on the roster who has the strongest arm?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Aldo said:

I think Fine can make an immediate case for being the first backup. Weight don't mean nothin if he is able to prove he can sling it.

I don't think the staff brings someone else in this year. I think they'll use this offseason (read: more time) to bring a HS and another transfer QB for 2017.

Did you see Dodge play?  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Did you see Dodge play?  

In 2010 the OL averaged 275 pounds compared to 315 at times this past year and about 319/320 the year before. Not that one set of players is better than the other, but our line is a better size nowadays.

And Dodge was #46 qb rating in 2010.

22 minutes ago, Aldo said:

In 2010 the OL averaged 275 pounds compared to 315 at times this past year and about 319/320 the year before. Not that one set of players is better than the other, but our line is a better size nowadays.

And Dodge was #46 qb rating in 2010.

The OL is better now, but my point is that Dodge who was of similar size of Fine was continually injured.  Dodge was also like Fine in that he had incredible accolades, Parade All American, and only had 1 offer to play QB at the FB level.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The OL is better now, but my point is that Dodge who was of similar size of Fine was continually injured.  Dodge was also like Fine in that he had incredible accolades, Parade All American, and only had 1 offer to play QB at the FB level.  

How much more weight is he really going to gain? If we were afraid of that, then we shouldn't have signed him in the first place.

There are ways to protect the QB from getting hit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

How much more weight is he really going to gain? If we were afraid of that, then we shouldn't have signed him in the first place.

15-20 pounds of weight gain isn't an unreasonable expectation over the next year and a half for a guy his size. If he's as slippery as a bar of soap in a prison shower I guess his current size doesn't matter as much, but if not, things could potentially get pretty ugly without some D1 muscle.

Just now, foutsrouts said:

15-20 pounds of weight gain isn't an unreasonable expectation over the next year and a half for a guy his size. If he's as slippery as a bar of soap in a prison shower I guess his current size doesn't matter as much, but if not, things could potentially get pretty ugly without some D1 muscle.

But what I've been arguing in a couple threads is that his size shouldn't keep him from seeing the field if he is the best option available.

12 minutes ago, Aldo said:

But what I've been arguing in a couple threads is that his size shouldn't keep him from seeing the field if he is the best option available.

Well, I guess we could think more toward the future and get him prepared enough to live and fight well another day, or we could roll the dice and throw him to the wolves right off the bat. Glad I don't have to make that decision.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

Well, I guess we could think more toward the future and get him prepared enough to live and fight well another day, or we could roll the dice and throw him to the wolves right off the bat. Glad I don't have to make that decision.

I would prefer he sit at least 2 years and learn, but that would suggest a pattern of success at recruiting QBs.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Aldo said:

Other than leaving him on the bench, there are no ways to keep a QB from getting hit.  The likelihood of getting hit can be mitigated by quick passes and not running the QB, however not sure that would be much of an offense. 

• Upvote 1