DaMarcus Smith kicked off team

MeanGreenDan

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I really wonder if Dillman is going to get a shot.    No way you trot Fine out there as a true Freshman, even if Morris gets hurt.

One thing I've noticed about some successful short QBs is that they often played early. 6' and under QBs Manziel, Russell Wilson, Kellen Moore, Stockstill, Cato (started as a true freshman), even Bogenschutz all started as redshirt freshman. I know Fine could use the redshirt year, but I don't think his height makes him some project who won't be ready to see the field for a few years.

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

KB ain't slender, but I'd agree he could be high risk high reward. Watching Chumley in spring drills, he is physically imposing. He towered over Means, and he's not small at 6-4, 215.

He's a big athlete, just need to put him in the right spot.

Benjamin definitely isn't slender as a wide receiver, but he would be as a tight end. That's what I'm saying with Chumley. I think he's more of a big receiver, like Benjamin, than a tight end

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I'm actually confident Littrell has this QB situation under control, so far.

Really? What inspires this confidence? That he was a P5 assistant like Benford? Because the only QB's he brought in are a freshman with zero other FBS offers and a grad transfer that couldn't break third string on Alabama's team? 

With Smith gone, there is one option at QB. Morris. One option. What if he gets hurt? What if he is no better than Chad? We just don't know.

To get on here and say "I'm confident Littrell has this under control" is just silly. I'm quite confident he doesn't. 

Pray for Morris's health and pray that he can play. Otherwise, expect QB play to be on par or worse than last year. Yes, that's a very real possibility.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 11

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Benjamin definitely isn't slender as a wide receiver, but he would be as a tight end. That's what I'm saying with Chumley. I think he's more of a big receiver, like Benjamin, than a tight end

Ah I see. I can agree to that. 

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Really? What inspires this confidence? That he was a P5 assistant like Benford? Because the only QB's he brought in are a freshman with zero other FBS offers and a grad transfer that couldn't break third string on Alabama's team? 

With Smith gone, there is one option at QB. Smith. One option. What if he gets hurt? What if he is no better than Chad? We just don't know.

To get on here and say "I'm confident Littrell has this under control" is just silly. I'm quite confident he doesn't. 

Pray for Smith's health and pray that he can play. Otherwise, expect QB play to be on par or worse than last year. Yes, that's a very real possibility.

Do you mean Morris? Because We don't have 2 Smith's at QB.

I get what you're talking about, but the QB situation has actually improved based on the evidence we see so far. You may be right and I can eat my words. But starting a 3rd stringer who almost started at Alabama over a guy from Iowa with no other FBS offers is progress in my book.

16 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

With Smith gone, there is one option at QB. Smith. One option. What if he gets hurt? What if he is no better than Chad? We just don't know.

Pray for Smith's health and pray that he can play. Otherwise, expect QB play to be on par or worse than last year. Yes, that's a very real possibility.

giphy.gif

or do you mean the Red Hot Chili Pepper's drummer is coming in as a walk-on qb?

tumblr_n5zy53gDWI1qhub34o5_r2_400.gif

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

What happens to the scholarships of the players kicked off or leaving the team?

Will they be available for class of 2017?

Another scholarship of the team's overall total of 85 will be opened up, but next year's signing class will have 26 slots available...  Unless Littrell uses his last 2016 scholarship before the start of the season, then it will be the standard 25 scholarships per class for 2017.

31 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

One thing I've noticed about some successful short QBs is that they often played early. 6' and under QBs Manziel, Russell Wilson, Kellen Moore, Stockstill, Cato (started as a true freshman), even Bogenschutz all started as redshirt freshman. I know Fine could use the redshirt year, but I don't think his height makes him some project who won't be ready to see the field for a few years.

I'm not necessarily worried about his height.  He's pretty thin.   And he's not used to big-time speed.   He ripped Oklahoma 3-A to shreds.  He has talent for sure, but I think he may need some time to put some weight on and get used to the pace of D1 football.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Do you mean Morris? Because We don't have 2 Smith's at QB.

I get what you're talking about, but the QB situation has actually improved based on the evidence we see so far. You may be right and I can eat my words. But starting a 3rd stringer who almost started at Alabama over a guy from Iowa with no other FBS offers is progress in my book.

Yes, Morris. Fixed.

Horseshoes and hand grenades. He is better than a former 4 star dual threat QB? 

Time will tell. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

For you to compare an assist BB coach to a top 10 Offensive co-ordinator is stupid. The biggest gripe of B is his no game time experience. Litt has plenty of high competition game time experience! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

For you to compare an assist BB coach to a top 10 Offensive co-ordinator is stupid. The biggest gripe of B is his no game time experience. Litt has plenty of high competition game time experience! 

Really? I thought they were both assistants. I thought neither had been a head coach before coming to UNT. Stupid me.

Are you saying an offensive only assistant in football learns more than an assistant head coach of a basketball team?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Another scholarship of the team's overall total of 85 will be opened up, but next year's signing class will have 26 slots available...  Unless Littrell uses his last 2016 scholarship before the start of the season, then it will be the standard 25 scholarships per class for 2017.

We hope. There's a chance we may have to give a few spots in the class to walkons Mccarney put on scholarship. Hopefully not, but it's a possibility based on how many players we signed in 2015 and 2016. Also, we're down to just 73 scholarship players for next season if every scholarship player stays and every signee makes it in. We really need to be able to sign a big class next year.

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

You know, I think there's a misconception that Chumley has a tight end frame. He's a lot more slender than people realize. I think in reality he's in the 220s. I would like to see him be the CUSA Kelvin Benjamin.

You've given me an idea for the next QB...

TRNqt.jpg

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I'm wondering if he has some family issues he has to take care of?

That or he felt that he would never get a fair shake once the new coach came in and transferred in another qb.

If the latter, then he's not a competitor and him leaving is probably for the best.  I just don't think that's him, based on the "discussion" he had with Chico prior to getting his shot to start.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, drex said:

Never had a lot of faith in Smith's being any better.

But at least he has been out there, and could run well and take a shot. Hate to be doom and gloom, but I thought the position was hanging by a string before, and now I find myself praying that Littrell/Harrell are miracle workers. I hope that Chumley proves his detractors wrong and becomes a viable backup this year. Otherwise it's looking like Means to me.

• Upvote 1