Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

The Mean Green Should Go Back to Black


Fry Guy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Bring back the 2013 uniforms but with all white pants with a green SOW on the hip. Those are clean, marketable, and just have an overall good look. Our current setup looks just about awful. The 2013 is also the "proper" green whereas our current one's look like some kind of variation never before seen. Just something else this AD squandered. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be okay if we wore the 2013 throwbacks again. Those looked sharp. Although I will agree that the black, in contract with the green, looks better overall. If we could have green tops/black pants as a home alternate that would look good. Hell even the away look they had in Indiana with the white top/black pants and helmet looked decent. If we could incorporate more black in our uniforms in general I'd be cool with that

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:59 PM, Fry Guy said:

Hey guys! Just for the heck of it, I've compiled a list showing the results of North Texas football games, over the last five years, based on the different uniform combinations worn throughout that time period. I feel that these seasons best reflect an overall trend towards uniform variation throughout college football, and they also coincide with beginning of the Mean Green's relationship with Nike. The evidence presented here, although purely anecdotal, suggests that a return to the "blackout" look may be in order. ;)

 

Results by Uniform Combination
               
HELMET JERSEY PANTS W-L Win % PF-PA PD Avg PD
               
White White White 0-2 .000 27-80 -53 -26.5
White White Green 0-1 .000 7-41 -34 -34
White Green White 1-1 .500 47-72 -25 -12.5
Green Green Green 3-2 .600 147-90 57 11.4
Green Green White 9-6 .600 449-332 117 7.8
Green White Green 2-7 .222 143-344 -201 -22.3
Green White White 4-12 .250 367-527 -160 -10
Green Black Black 2-0 1.000 69-23 46 23
Black Black Black 3-1 .750 105-80 25 6.25
Black Green Green 0-3 .000 69-113 -44 -14.6
Black White Black 0-2 .000 41-84 -43 -21.5
               
Results by Uniform Component
               
HELMET: White   1-4 .200 81-193 -112 -22.4
  Green   20-27 .426 1175-1316 -141 -3
  Black   3-6 .333 215-277 -62 -6.8
               
JERSEY: White   6-24 .200 585-1076 -491 -16.3
  Green   13-12 .520 712-607 105 4.2
  Black   5-1 .833 174-103 71 11.83
               
PANTS: White   14-21 .400 890-1011 -121 -3.4
  Green   5-13 .277 366-588 -222 -12.33
  Black   5.-3 .625 215-187 28 3.5

I think some consideration should be given to the level of opponent we played and if the game was home or away in each variation of uniform. For instance, we are usually wearing white when we get our heads kicked in for bodybag games. White jerseys are not cursed and are not the cause of a poor outcome. The poor outcome was caused by a coach who could not win on the road anywhere he has coached. The white jerseys were just unfortunate to be the road jersey most of the time.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The black jerseys worked, so those should have stayed,

The HOD Bowl, how great that D played!

Our coaches then fizzled and stopped showing up,

66-7, couldn't help throwing up.

What would it take to write a new book?,

No more Coach Mac, we fired the crook.

Our football was bad, it's worse now I guess,

Sir Calvin is gone, who anchors this mess? 

I watch Ponies practice, It doesn't seem fair,

I go to their home games..can pick any chair.

Black or green jerseys.. I really don't care,

Just win a damn game, RV.. act like you care!

 

(a small poem from the mind of a disgruntled Alum) 

GMG

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I think some consideration should be given to the level of opponent we played and if the game was home or away in each variation of uniform. For instance, we are usually wearing white when we get our heads kicked in for bodybag games. White jerseys are not cursed and are not the cause of a poor outcome. The poor outcome was caused by a coach who could not win on the road anywhere he has coached. The white jerseys were just unfortunate to be the road jersey most of the time.

 

That's a very good point. Here's a game by game breakdown of every uniform combination since 2011. Just in case anyone is interested in seeing exactly how the data came together. GMG!
 
2015
 
9/12 @ SMU - WWW, L 13-31
9/19 v. Rice - BGG, L 24-38
9/26 @ Iowa - GWG, L 16-62
10/3  @ So. Miss - WWW, L 14-49
10/10 v. Port St. - WGW, L 7-66
10/15 @ WKU - BGG, L 28-55
10/24 @ Marshall - GWW, L 13-30
10/31 v. UTSA - GGW, W 30-23
11/7 @ La. Tech - GWG, L 13-56
11/14 @ Tenn - GWG, L 0-24
11/21 @ MTSU - WWG, L 7-41
11/27 v. UTEP - BGG, L 17-20
 
2014:
 
8/30 @ Texas - GWW, L 7-38
9/6 v. SMU - GGW, W 43-6
9/11 v. La. Tech - BBB, L 21-42
9/20 v. Nich St. - GGW, W 77-3
10/4 @ Indiana - BWB, L 24-49
10/11 @ UAB - GWW, L 21-56
10/18 v. So. Miss - GGW, L 20-30
10/25 @ Rice - GWW, L 21-41
11/08 v. FAU - BBB, W 31-10
11/15 @ UTEP - BWB, L 17-35
11/22 v. FIU - BBB, W 17-14
11/29 @ UTSA - GWW, L 27-34
 
2013:
 
8/31 v. Idaho - WGW, W 40-6
9/7 @ Ohio - GWW, L 21-27
9/14 v. Ball St. - GGW, W 34-27
9/21 @ Georgia - GWW, L 21-45
10/5 @ Tulane - GGW, L 21-24
10/12 v. MTSU - GGW, W 34-7
10/19 @ La. Tech - GWW, W 28-13
10/26 @ So. Miss - GWW, W 55-14
10/31 v. Rice - GBB, W 28-16
11/9 v. UTEP - GBB, W 41-7
11/23 v. UTSA - GGW, L 13-21
11/30 @ Tulsa - GWW, W 42-10
1/1/14 v. UNLV - BBB, W 36-14
 
2012:
 
9/1 @ LSU - GGW, L 14-41
9/8 v. Tex So. - GGG, W 34-7
9/15 @ Kan St. - GWG, L 21-35
9/22 v. Troy - GGG, L 7-14
9/29 @ FAU GWW, W 20-14
10/6 @ Houston - GWW, L 21-44
10/16 v. ULL - GGW, W 30-23
10/27 @ MTSU - GWG, L 21-38
11/3 v. Ark St. - GGW, L 19-37
11/10 v. So. Ala - GGG, W 24-14
11/17 @ ULM - GWW, L 16-42
11/24 @ WKU - GWG, L 24-25
 
2011:
 
9/1 @ FIU - GWW, L 16-41
9/10 v. Houston - GGG, L 23-48
9/17 @ Alabama - GWG, L 0-41
9/24 v. Indiana - GGW W 24-21
10/1 @ Tulsa - GWW, L 24-41
10/8 v. FAU - GGW, W 31-17
10/15 @ ULL - GWG, W* 10-30
10/22 v. ULM - GGW, W 38-21
10/29 @ Ark St. - GWW, L 14-37
11/12 @ Troy - GWG, W 38-33
11/19 v. WKU - GGW, L 21-31
12/3 v. MTSU - GGG, W 59-7
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Fry Guy said:

 

That's a very good point. Here's a game by game breakdown of every uniform combination since 2011. Just in case anyone is interested in seeing exactly how the data came together. GMG!
 
2015
 
9/12 @ SMU - WWW, L 13-31
9/19 v. Rice - BGG, L 24-38
9/26 @ Iowa - GWG, L 16-62
10/3  @ So. Miss - WWW, L 14-49
10/10 v. Port St. - WGW, L 7-66
10/15 @ WKU - BGG, L 28-55
10/24 @ Marshall - GWW, L 13-30
10/31 v. UTSA - GGW, W 30-23
11/7 @ La. Tech - GWG, L 13-56
11/14 @ Tenn - GWG, L 0-24
11/21 @ MTSU - WWG, L 7-41
11/27 v. UTEP - BGG, L 17-20
 
2014:
 
8/30 @ Texas - GWW, L 7-38
9/6 v. SMU - GGW, W 43-6
9/11 v. La. Tech - BBB, L 21-42
9/20 v. Nich St. - GGW, W 77-3
10/4 @ Indiana - BWB, L 24-49
10/11 @ UAB - GWW, L 21-56
10/18 v. So. Miss - GGW, L 20-30
10/25 @ Rice - GWW, L 21-41
11/08 v. FAU - BBB, W 31-10
11/15 @ UTEP - BWB, L 17-35
11/22 v. FIU - BBB, W 17-14
11/29 @ UTSA - GWW, L 27-34
 
2013:
 
8/31 v. Idaho - WGW, W 40-6
9/7 @ Ohio - GWW, L 21-27
9/14 v. Ball St. - GGW, W 34-27
9/21 @ Georgia - GWW, L 21-45
10/5 @ Tulane - GGW, L 21-24
10/12 v. MTSU - GGW, W 34-7
10/19 @ La. Tech - GWW, W 28-13
10/26 @ So. Miss - GWW, W 55-14
10/31 v. Rice - GBB, W 28-16
11/9 v. UTEP - GBB, W 41-7
11/23 v. UTSA - GGW, L 13-21
11/30 @ Tulsa - GWW, W 42-10
1/1/14 v. UNLV - BBB, W 36-14
 
2012:
 
9/1 @ LSU - GGW, L 14-41
9/8 v. Tex So. - GGG, W 34-7
9/15 @ Kan St. - GWG, L 21-35
9/22 v. Troy - GGG, L 7-14
9/29 @ FAU GWW, W 20-14
10/6 @ Houston - GWW, L 21-44
10/16 v. ULL - GGW, W 30-23
10/27 @ MTSU - GWG, L 21-38
11/3 v. Ark St. - GGW, L 19-37
11/10 v. So. Ala - GGG, W 24-14
11/17 @ ULM - GWW, L 16-42
11/24 @ WKU - GWG, L 24-25
 
2011:
 
9/1 @ FIU - GWW, L 16-41
9/10 v. Houston - GGG, L 23-48
9/17 @ Alabama - GWG, L 0-41
9/24 v. Indiana - GGW W 24-21
10/1 @ Tulsa - GWW, L 24-41
10/8 v. FAU - GGW, W 31-17
10/15 @ ULL - GWG, W* 10-30
10/22 v. ULM - GGW, W 38-21
10/29 @ Ark St. - GWW, L 14-37
11/12 @ Troy - GWG, W 38-33
11/19 v. WKU - GGW, L 21-31
12/3 v. MTSU - GGG, W 59-7

Thanks for putting this together. FYI, we were GWG for the '13 Georgia game. GMG.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

The above looks like a team wearing green and white, and only green and white, blocking a punt against an SEC opponent. 

That's not all.

meangreen_medium.gif

I will always remember that game fondly because it was the first time in my Mean Green fandom that I felt we actually stood toe-to-toe with a legitimate P5 opponent and didn't get manhandled. We looked like we belonged for the first time, like a real FBS football team. We held top 10 NFL draft pick Todd Gurley to his lowest YPC of the entire regular season, better than Clemson, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, and South Carolina. Plus, Brelan.

aob77.gif

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

That's not all.

meangreen_medium.gif

I will always remember that game fondly because it was the first time in my Mean Green fandom that I felt we actually stood toe-to-toe with a legitimate P5 opponent and didn't get manhandled. We looked like we belonged for the first time, like a real FBS football team. We held top 10 NFL draft pick Todd Gurley to his lowest YPC of the entire regular season, better than Clemson, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, and South Carolina. Plus, Brelan.

aob77.gif

  gallery_41356_216_2628.jpggallery_41356_149_54305.jpg

digging the Fry Guy's crazy uni stats...& Georgia's helmet with their signature G. 

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

We held top 10 NFL draft pick Todd Gurley to his lowest YPC of the entire regular season, better than Clemson, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, and South Carolina. Plus, Brelan.

Speaking of Gurley...
 

Quote


With 566 yards in his first four NFL starts, Gurley became the most prolific rusher in his first four NFL games since the AFL-NFL merger.[22] Following the 27-6 win over the 49ers in week 8, Gurley's jersey and cleats were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. [23]

Wiki

Gurley went on to win NFL Offensive ROTY

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Thanks for putting this together. FYI, we were GWG for the '13 Georgia game. GMG.

maxresdefault.jpg

Oops. Nice catch! That was definitely a GWG game. And what a game it was! I tried to double-check for mistakes before posting, but I guess I must have missed that one.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.