UNT is Now a Carnegie Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity (R1)

Cerebus

27 minutes ago, keith said:

What if we, as a University, just say that we self-identify as a Tier 1 University?  Would that work?

I believe we need to tighten up our acceptance rate, but not for a specific acceptance rate number.   The more important numbers, IMHO, are freshman retention % and 4-year graduation %.  UNT suffers in these metrics because of our acceptance rate.  Tighten that up and these other two will improve.

The Eagle Express Tuition plan is a remediation strategy for this... however, I'm sorry everyone, but I'm afraid I contributed to this bad statistic. zstkngskvgr8teroepr9.gif

actually,

tumblr_ljm73kCYcK1qc8qo7.gif

• Upvote 4

• 9 months later...

Hey folks I wanted to updated you on news related to this.

One promising thing is that this classification has really upped the interest in open faculty positions on campus.  Not only are more people seeking out those jobs, but the applicants are higher quality. 

The other change is even larger.  The President so wants to capitalize on this and expand our success, the College of Arts and Sciences is splitting in two.  By Fall 2017 there will be a new College of Science, and a second as of yet unnamed college made up of the remaining departments.  

The President has promised to dump a ton of new money into these two new colleges.  

17 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

One promising thing is that this classification has really upped the interest in open faculty positions on campus.  Not only are more people seeking out those jobs, but the applicants are higher quality. 

The other change is even larger.  The President so wants to capitalize on this and expand our success, the College of Arts and Sciences is splitting in two.  By Fall 2017 there will be a new College of Science, and a second as of yet unnamed college made up of the remaining departments.  

The President has promised to dump a ton of new money into these two new colleges.  

That's some mighty good news !
Thanks !

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

How many Carnegie Tier 1 universities remain 'RNP' (rating not published) in the US New and World Report college rankings?  I really thought UNT was going to crack the top 200 and get ranked this year.

9 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

How many Carnegie Tier 1 universities remain 'RNP' (rating not published) in the US New and World Report college rankings?  I really thought UNT was going to crack the top 200 and get ranked this year.

Just a reminder:
The US News and World Report college rankings are based primarily on the colleges and universities that were attended by the good folks
who are employed by US News and World Report.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

US News doesn't rank what we're known for. That will probably continue to be a road block for us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Great news and thank you for the update! 

This has actually been in the works for 3-5 years. The issue has always been that is you split Arts and Sciences the Arts lose their funding arm. The success of the current grant programs in the Sciences have essentially forced this split because they finally realized that they did not want to share their hard earned winnings. Much like how the C of Business floats at least one additional college as far as operating revenue, the sciences side of the  C of A and S is the major money making arm and it impacts what they can do from an internal hiring and scholastic requirements standpoint.

This is great news in many regards and will have much greater of an impact than people think. It will now allow the College of Science to up their entrance requirements into the college and change how they give their scholarships vs how they have in the past under the old A and S label.  Ill ask those that I know in the Provost office if they are decided on the College of Liberal Arts or if they are trying to find a more progressive name to avoid the historic backlash to that name.

On a purely selfish note this makes it much easier for my wife and I to consider to be able to come back as faculty to UNT

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, laxtonto said:

This has actually been in the works for 3-5 years. The issue has always been that is you split Arts and Sciences the Arts lose their funding arm. The success of the current grant programs in the Sciences have essentially forced this split because they finally realized that they did not want to share their hard earned winnings. Much like how the C of Business floats at least one additional college as far as operating revenue, the sciences side of the  C of A and S is the major money making arm and it impacts what they can do from an internal hiring and scholastic requirements standpoint.

This is great news in many regards and will have much greater of an impact than people think. It will now allow the College of Science to up their entrance requirements into the college and change how they give their scholarships vs how they have in the past under the old A and S label.  Ill ask those that I know in the Provost office if they are decided on the College of Liberal Arts or if they are trying to find a more progressive name to avoid the historic backlash to that name.

On a purely selfish note this makes it much easier for my wife and I to consider to be able to come back as faculty to UNT

College of Arts and Humanities? What feedback can you guys come up with for that name?

• Upvote 3

Further addendum: Prez Smatresk is making a priority of preferring "High-Impact" faculty candidates. Meaning, they must already be involved in a particular level of high-volume research and output that they would automatically bring with them a number of grants and funding resources previously unattained by the University.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, laxtonto said:

the sciences side of the  C of A and S is the major money making arm 

To be fair here, lets remember the A side has it's strengths also.  For example every single student on campus will take English classes, and probably a  math, and possibly a foreign language.   

The #1 PhD granting department at NT (and that is a major component of Texas Tier 1) is Psychology.  

Laxtonto is only partially correct about the funding issue.  It is most probable the sciences pull in more grant money.  On the other hand the .arts people will likely generate substantially more SSCH's with the tuition and fees that go with it.  A large problem with the A& S alignment is finding a dean that both areas fully accept.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cerebus said:

To be fair here, lets remember the A side has it's strengths also.  For example every single student on campus will take English classes, and probably a  math, and possibly a foreign language.   

The #1 PhD granting department at NT (and that is a major component of Texas Tier 1) is Psychology.  

That is a fair statement, but once you pull out the lab sciences (and depending on the structure of what they call "Science" you should also lose mathematics) the impact across campus wide funding takes a huge hit. With how the design of the College core goes, those who have the labs and the mandatory math course hold the purse strings. There are 6 hrs of language plus your mandatory humanities courses (which are much more labor intensive) for a total of 12 or so hrs vs the 8 hrs of lab sciences, plus 3-6 hrs of mathematics, plus wherever they stash Econ (which tends to be 6 more hrs) and the labor vs funding created takes a huge hit once they split.

Psych is their own beast entirely, and I am curious if they fight to be put into an Applied Sciences wing with something like Econ.

This is one of the reasons that they raised the minimum faculty salary floor first before they split A and S. Many of the humanities courses require a large labor component plus tend to not be able to supplement instruction as easily with grad students vs. the hard sciences.

• Upvote 1

And on a fun side note...

Follow the money. It should have been a huge sign that in the last 12 months or so that both the Provost and Vice Provost have came out of the College of Business. Neal is trying to build the orginzational structure to get to the point that it becomes a money making machine

• Upvote 1