Improving HS coaches relations

GMG24

20 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Yep you got that right.  If I want to go to tx, tamu or a Baylor game all I have to do is click TX HS Coaches and type in my #. Bam get my 2 tix and easy. Unt is such a hassle. Step it up!

I just don't get why it's so hard to just be decent at running an athletic office... Blah. do those schools contact you after you get tickets to let you know where to go and pick up your tickets?

• Upvote 5

Found this interesting

As a guest at Kyle Field, you are expected to wear clothing in support of Texas A&M or neutral attire. If you are wearing clothing in support of the opposing team, you will be turned away at the window.The staff at Kyle Field reserves the right to deny admission to anyone who does not follow these rules. 

I hope UNT athletics has this same policy. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Found this interesting

As a guest at Kyle Field, you are expected to wear clothing in support of Texas A&M or neutral attire. If you are wearing clothing in support of the opposing team, you will be turned away at the window.The staff at Kyle Field reserves the right to deny admission to anyone who does not follow these rules. 

I hope UNT athletics has this same policy. 

That is an understood common practice. It's called professional courtesy. You DONT take free tickets then cheer for the opposing team. I've gone to several games and worn the schools colors, but inside my head root for the opposing team.  NEVER out loud it really is just common sense. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

That is an understood common practice. It's called professional courtesy. You DONT take free tickets then cheer for the opposing team. I've gone to several games and worn the schools colors, but inside my head root for the opposing team.  NEVERTHELESS out loud it really is just common sense. 

I figured. And you're right about finding links for HS coaches. on a&M website all i had to do was click extra and "High School Coaches" was there, Baylor all you do is go down to THSCA and click how many... i cant find it anywhere for us. 

Just now, meanJewGreen said:

I figured. And you're right about finding links for HS coaches. on a&M website all i had to do was click extra and "High School Coaches" was there, Baylor all you do is go down to THSCA and click how many... i cant find it anywhere for us. 

Keep looking, let me know when you find it lol 

I hope our athletic department reads this thread. It really is embarrassing. It's one thing when they make excuses for why we've had such awful records in revenue sports lately, or say it's only a minority who are unsatisfied. But they can't scoff at the high school coaches complaining and saying it's an inferior process to other schools.

• Upvote 4

OK, I get it ...it is hard and it should not be for high school coaches to come to UNT games for FREE.  If I were getting free tickets I would sure not want to be at all inconvenienced in figuring out how to get them.  Making free stuff hard to get just sucks!

Yes, that was tongue firmly planted in cheek because I get this...we should make this stuff easy if we want to develop and maintain good relations with high school coaches.  This, indeed, should be a matter of interest and it should be addressed promptly.

But, it is sort if numerous seeing folks complain a bit about getting free tickets.  It may not be a crumpled $100 bill, but it is at least a ten spot in "funniness".

Not don't go all ballistic on me here...this is sort of ironic and funny if you think about it a bit, and I do get it that it is a problem that needs to be addressed. Just having some Saturday afternoon fun before heading to the UNT game with purchased tickets.

Edit:. I see a bit of levity is no longer welcome in these days of angst and negativity on GMG.Com.  Sigh...it used to be that at least some folks had a sense of humor...or at least irony. I thought coaches had a sense of humor.  My bad.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 19

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I just don't get why it's so hard to just be decent at running an athletic office... Blah. do those schools contact you after you get tickets to let you know where to go and pick up your tickets?

Yes they tell me where to pick them up and what time. Easy always 

It's a perk of being a member of the THSCA. We don't get paid much and work tons of hours so we appreciate the little things. Say what you want but it makes a difference in recruiting 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, unt_rocket09 said:

It's a perk of being a member of the THSCA. We don't get paid much and work tons of hours so we appreciate the little things. Say what you want but it makes a difference in recruiting 

This ^

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Our process is to drawn out, call the ticket office ask about coaching tickets get transferred sit on hold, it's really a giant beat down.

I guess I've been lucky, but I've never been transferred.  Always just tell the person that answered that I'm with THSCA and reserve my two tickets.

That being said, a link on the website would be nice.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Good to know, maybe it will get fixed. I am going to tweet Littrell about it maybe that'll help.

5 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

OK, I get it ...it is hard and it should not be for high school coaches to come to UNT games for FREE.  If I were getting free tickets I would sure not want to be at all inconvenienced in figuring out how to get them.  Making free stuff hard to get just sucks!

Yes, that was tongue firmly planted in cheek because I get this...we should make this stuff easy if we want to develop and maintain good relations with high school coaches.  This, indeed, should be a matter of interest and it should be addressed promptly.

But, it is sort if numerous seeing folks complain a bit about getting free tickets.  It may not be a crumpled $100 bill, but it is at least a ten spot in "funniness".

Not don't go all ballistic on me here...this is sort of ironic and funny if you think about it a bit, and I do get it that it is a problem that needs to be addressed. Just having some Saturday afternoon fun before heading to the UNT game with purchased tickets.

Edit:. I see a bit of levity is no longer welcome in these days of angst and negativity on GMG.Com.  Sigh...it used to be that at least some folks had a sense of humor...or at least irony. I thought coaches had a sense of humor.  My bad.

Mark. I love the free tickets it makes getting to the games much more doable on what we make.  However, I am talking about the 1,000's of other coaches in the area who would probably come to games if they could have the same process as most every university who has football in this state.  Coaches can make time for what they want, but they also typically don't have a ton of free time and when they can log onto a website and click a few buttons and be done grabbing tickets in a few minutes (During the busiest time of the year for most coaches) it makes that process a little more free-flowing.  I am just telling you complaints I have heard and experienced first hand.  As I stated above I don't mind doing it because they are free, but if you are wanting to IMPROVE HS COACHES RELATIONSHIPS you may want to make the interactions they have with your University positive pleasant and memorable in a good way. 

49 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Wasn't aware that high school coaches get free tickets.  I wonder why, seems that the NCAA with all their rules would not allow this.  It is just a small way of buying off coaches, and when it comes to that; the bigs are always going to win.  

it is suppose to be a perk of coaching. You can't bring your players with you.  I take my wife and we spend time together at our University.  Friends go to watch good college football game.  I guess it is like allowing businessmen or women to write off lunches for business meetings.  That's the closest comparison I can come up with. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

I guess I've been lucky, but I've never been transferred.  Always just tell the person that answered that I'm with THSCA and reserve my two tickets.

That being said, a link on the website would be nice.

Same here. Back when I was a member of THSCA, I called Mary Hardin directly & was put on the list. Never had a problem.

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Wasn't aware that high school coaches get free tickets.  I wonder why, seems that the NCAA with all their rules would not allow this.  It is just a small way of buying off coaches, and when it comes to that; the bigs are always going to win.  

No need to worry about North Texas doing anything that might help our coaches gain an advantage on the competition, that's for sure.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

When all schools do it, it's tough to buy anyone off.

With our location...yeah, if we make it easy, a lot of the busy coaches in the DFW area are more likely to pick us than UT, Tech, aTm, etc...because we're local.  SMU and TCU would be competition for this sort of thing, but push it enough...cool.  And I get that Mark was being funny, but if we're going to TRY to get them to visit, the effort should be on our end and all they should have to do is show up.

3 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Yup 8am Monday morning. Never have a problem getting unt tickets tho. Wish that would change!

We need to have a coaches section on here where we can get on and chat. Network and look out for each other like the Boys from CS.

• Upvote 3