Grade the Littrell Hire

Cerebus

Grade the Littrell Hire!  

164 members have voted

1. 1. AT THIS MOMENT. What grade do you give the Littrell hire.

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • F

I gave him an A. Here are my reasons..

1. Runs a wide open, high scoring offense which will greatly improve the quality of football we have here. No, he hasn't done it here yet, but we know it's coming and it works based on every other place he has been. Exiting football brings in fans and re-invigorates the Alumni base, including myself. 

2. RECRUITING - in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area he is already knocking on doors that Mac refused to approach. He has already contacted a parent in the HEB area about their son. NO ONE contacted this kid or his parents last year from North Texas. I can vouch for that first hand. If the proof is in the pudding, this coach is already cooking.

3. Graham Harrell. I watched that kid play at TTech, and he is the real thing. Now, to address a point UNT90 is about to raise.. yes at the time he was a player not a coach. BUT who better to teach our young QB's the Air-Raid offense than a guy who has not only done it, but holds passing records at a Big-XII school KNOWN for that offense? Mike Leach thought enough of him to bring him to Washington State as a coach? I call that a positive endorsement. I believe Kliff Kingsbury is doing the same thing at TTech, and followed a very similar role to the running that offense in Lubbock. 

4. Attitude. Seth Litrell came in knowing about the issues here, and the words right out of his mouth were.. "The past is the past and I don't care about it". THANK YOU Coach. I haven't heard him say one thing about how difficult it is to recruit here, or how many unusual challenges there are here. Aggressive and positive works for me.

For the record, I would have given Kendall Briles an A, Sonnie Cumbie and A, and Dough Meachum a B+. Of course nothing has been done here yet, but the grades we give now are for the potential and excitement Seth Litrell brings with him. That is something we are in desperate need of. For the first time in a long time we have more than hope.. we have a coach that could bring the Mean Green Family back together. GRADE: A

GMG

Excellent points.  Wish I had seen this before I hit "enter" now.

I went with B+.  I feel like we hired someone that is young and has the energy to do the tough recruiting that will be required.  He has also shown that he could be successful at at places that are not accustomed to winning. His offenses have been some of the best in the country and that will put butt's in the seats.  So he gets a B+ because you can easily see that he has the potential to be a great hire.  I think B+ was the highest possible grade I would give someone that has no head coaching experience.  Just too many unknowns.

I gave it a C+.

1- I am not a fan of fun-n-gun glorified flag football.  Call it PTSD from the Dodge years.  I get that this is the direction football seems to be increasingly going to, but I don't have to like it.

2- Now, if we must play this brand of football, I like Littrell.  He's a young up and comer that seems to be really hungry and not afraid to work his tail off.  

3- He's going to be able to recruit.  He just is.

4- Worried about what kind of staff he can put together.  That said, I had a ton of faith in Mac's hiring ability and that got us 1-11.

In closing, and as a few others have said, "what do I know?!"....

• Upvote 1

OK OK  I voted.  I hate to be the guy that prevents a project from going on. 

I voted A minus.  Here's why.

Coach Littrell has never been a head coach before and has no apparent (north) Texas ties.  I'd have given extra credit for a coach with a household name.  But I'm all in with Coach Littrell.  I would be all in with Capt'n Crunch if he could win ball games. 

Welcome Coach Littrell

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

B grade, I saw him at a restaurant in Denton yesterday with a UNT shirt on. He had other guy's with him that had North Texas gear on. If I had to guess, I'm thinking they are looking at recruits in Denton. They had a bunch of paperwork on the table too.

I guarantee you that I would never see Mac in that situation if he were still here. Littrell definitely looked focused.

Edited by GreenTexan13

B grade, I saw him at a restaurant in Denton yesterday with a UNT shirt on. He had other guy's with him that had North Texas gear on. If I had to guess, I'm thinking they are looking at recruits in Denton. They had a bunch of paperwork on the table too.

I guarantee you that I would never see Mac in that situation if he were still here. Littrell definitely looked focused.

Old West?   Littrell looks/sounds like a dude you'd find at Old West at least 3X/wk.

• Upvote 1

could you tell us what restaurant? What grade would you give the restaurant?

• Upvote 1

I voted a B. I do really like the hire, but I was not wanting to grade based on expectations tempered by a little program mentality (i.e. me voting an A+ would mean we hired someone like Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh).

Out of the names floated around, I like this hire as much as anyone.

Still way too early to know much, but I'm hopeful again after being pretty run down by the last 2 years.

Edited by pastorgrant
Typo

Giving an A-/B+. I like the Littrell hire a lot. I also like the OC and receiver coach hire. What I like so much is the coaching tree that these guys come from, the coaches that share that tree have been shown to be pretty good at this coaching thing. The OC is intriguing to me when looking at the success of the two other QBs (Kingsbury and Cumbie) that came through the Leach system. That said, two success' doesn't exactly show a pattern, but it is somewhat encouraging seeing what they have done. I would have really liked to get Ruff as a DC but I thought that was a long shot to begin with. Hopefully we just get somebody that can just keep us in games while our offense marches up and down the field scoring at will. I'd be ok with that.