Todd Dodge

DougRush

If you haven't had a winning season in 

Nick Saban went 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, and 9-2 at MSU. Hardly commendable. MSU is 558-358 as a program. They win up there. Not at an ultra high level, but win nevertheless. 

If you haven't had a winning season in 5 years turning that around is commendable no matter where it is.  If Seth does that here Mean Green fans are overjoyed and remember we had a winning season just 2 years ago not 5.  And the leadership at the time at LSU thought it was commendable hence why they hired him.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely correct.  His best record at any of the non-upper-middle-class schools was 5-5. Provided with lots of resources......different story.

SeasonTeamWinsLossesNotes
1994Cameron Yoe37 
1995Cameron Yoe55 
1996Carrollton Newman Smith46 
1997Carrollton Newman Smith55 
1998Keller Fossil Ridge27 
1999Keller Fossil Ridge55 
2000Southlake Carroll95 
2001Southlake Carroll105 
2002Southlake Carroll1605A Division II state champions
2003Southlake Carroll151lost title game 16–15 to Katy
2004Southlake Carroll1605A Division II state champions
2005Southlake Carroll1605A Division II state champions
2006Southlake Carroll1605A Division I state champions
2012Marble Falls46 
2013Marble Falls46 
2014Austin Westlake73 
 Total13761 

And the lesson here? When Texas finally dumps Charlie Strong, they should hire Todd Dodge as their next coach.

I can't speak to the other non-lake schools but I know for a fact that Fossil Ridge had only existed for like two years when Dodge became the head coach. His improvement there is probably what landed him the SL job.

• Upvote 1

Our bowl was bottom level. Some sites even ranked it the worst bowl of the season. Just because it was on New Year's Day doesn't mean anything. 

UNT hasn't reached a level of success where this matters. Any bowl win is a good one for us. I hope Littrell has us back in one within two years, even if the experts think the bowl game is low-level.

• Upvote 1

P5 was involved and nobody ranked it the worst of the season. Mid level.

uh...we played a 7-5 UNLV team. In what world does that qualify as P5? It might be considered mid-level some years, but in 2013 it was at the bottom. The rankings below confirm that:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/24370140/the-top-35-your-201314-bowl-rankings 31 out of 35

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls13/story/_/id/10112150/every-bowl-game-ranked-1-35 35 out of 35

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/21/football-four-2013-14-college-football-bowl-game-rankings/4156017/
 35 out of 35 

• Upvote 3

Todd Dodge has Austin Westlake in the state finals after snapping Allen High School's 57 game win streak last night.  This is Dodge's 2nd season at Westlake.  I am not sure what went wrong at U.N.T. when he was here but the guy can coach. 

High school ball is different than division 1.

Sorry guys-- I guess I shouldn't have started this post.  I was just trying to give props to Coach Dodge for a job well done this year.  Winning at any place in Texas High School athletics is not as easy as you think.  You have to win a ton of rounds to win a state championship in Texas and I would love to have as many rings as Coach Dodge.  I underestimated the bitterness people must still have for the guy.  And just so you know for you people who like to bash high school coaches Morris at S.M.U., Graham? at Arizona State, Briles at Baylor, and now Jinks at Bowling Green all started out coaching Texas High School football.  I am sure there are others I don't know or am not thinking of.  It just did not work out for Coach Dodge here but I think he is a good guy that could have been a successful college coach at the right place and at the right time.  Just my opinion. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

And why did he NOT retain any of DD's defensive staff?

Hint:  It wasn't Gretchen Battialle's fault....

Rick

Answer:  Your current athletic director.

Oh..and accoring to previous numbers, Westlake has an enrollment of around 2900.  So for them to end Allen's 57 game winning streak in year two is a solid accomplishment.

Westlake is the remaining ranked (#9) team left in the largest division as Gelena Park North Shore defeated #7 Judson today.  I haven't seen them play but I'll assume Westlake will be heavily favored?  Anyone else see North Shore play this year?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

will you provide those schools records before he got there? yall are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. He can either 1 coach or 2 can't. Matters not where he is. He had to beat Allen arguably the deepest most talented team consistently in the state. The guy man can coach. 

Come on dude. Southlake has their 9th and 10th grade on one campus and their 11th and 12th grade on another. Just so they can keep all the talent under one program's roof.

Southlake ISD should have at least 2, most likely 3 high schools in the district. 

They dont. For football. 

Allen is the same way.

To say coaching has nothing to do with talent available is insane. 

6-37 indicates he is a terrible coach, that's if you go by the "he either can coach or he can't" theory.

But I guess "football is football," right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Come on dude. Southlake has their 9th and 10th grade on one campus and their 11th and 12th grade on another. Just so they can keep all the talent under one program's roof.

Southlake ISD should have at least 2, most likely 3 high schools in the district. 

They dont. For football. 

Allen is the same way.

To say coaching has nothing to do with talent available is insane. 

6-37 indicates he is a terrible coach, that's if you go by the "he either can coach or he can't" theory.

But I guess "football is football," right?

meh. He still had to beat schools who churned out a lot more D1 talent than SLC. Sure they had money. That's where his advantage lay, with having his kids and parents that could pay the 1500-2000 it cost for fast twitch, performance course, Michael Johnson speed camp or whatever the name has evolved to now. Those kids families then had enough $ to properly feed and nourish their bodies post workout.  Then eat right to fuel up for the next day so on and so forth.  Hell in The Colony we are doing good to make sure our kids get protein after a workout.  Most of them can't afford that.  So yes it does make a difference.  However, most if not a vast majority of their success was in their kids abilities to train.  Athlete for athlete your telling me his kids were better than say SOC, GP, DESOTO, ALLEN, TRINITY, I'm sure there are more.  I'm done arguing because there isn't one.  Yes he screwed the dog here.  He also put up some of the most impressive offensive numbers we have had in a long while.  He screwed the pooch in two areas. 

1. He did not bring in or retain any experienced college coaches who could help him navigate D1 football. The ins and outs of running a program etc

2. He brought in WAY to many HS guys on his staff.  

Those two two things and those alone, are why he failed here.  You can believe what you want but I'm telling you this guy is a hell of a football coach.  I am not saying he did something great here he sucked bad.  That was more on his hiring decisions than his ability to coach and I think we can both agree on that. To say anything else IMO is silly. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

meh. He still had to beat schools who churned out a lot more D1 talent than SLC. Sure they had money. That's where his advantage lay, with having his kids and parents that could pay the 1500-2000 it cost for fast twitch, performance course, Michael Johnson speed camp or whatever the name has evolved to now. Those kids families then had enough $ to properly feed and nourish their bodies post workout.  Then eat right to fuel up for the next day so on and so forth.  Hell in The Colony we are doing good to make sure our kids get protein after a workout.  Most of them can't afford that.  So yes it does make a difference.  However, most if not a vast majority of their success was in their kids abilities to train.  Athlete for athlete your telling me his kids were better than say SOC, GP, DESOTO, ALLEN, TRINITY, I'm sure there are more.  I'm done arguing because there isn't one.  Yes he screwed the dog here.  He also put up some of the most impressive offensive numbers we have had in a long while.  He screwed the pooch in two areas. 

1. He did not bring in or retain any experienced college coaches who could help him navigate D1 football. The ins and outs of running a program etc

2. He brought in WAY to many HS guys on his staff.  

Those two two things and those alone, are why he failed here.  You can believe what you want but I'm telling you this guy is a hell of a football coach.  I am not saying he did something great here he sucked bad.  That was more on his hiring decisions than his ability to coach and I think we can both agree on that. To say anything else IMO is silly. 

I have no clue how SLC performed pre and post Dodge. If you want a key indicator as to see what kind of coach he was/is I would start there.  

• Downvote 1

Congrats to Coach Dodge & to all the DFW area teams that advanced to the state championship game: Mansfield Lake Ridge, Frisco Lone Star, Argyle, Celina , and Brock.

FYI: Brandon Jackson is the receivers coach at Frisco Lone Star.

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 2

We played SLC in HS almost every year. They were well coached every year, and when i played, they were coached by Ledbetter.  

Their athletes were not any better or faster at that time than our team, but we were always surprised at how good they were. They have a long history of being well coached and tough. 

That's why they win consistently, IMO.

• Upvote 2