Littrell Played Against UNT for Oklahoma in 1998

rcade

At a glance, that North Texas team looks a WHOLE lot better than the 2015 North Texas team.

Sure do look better and a lot more enthusiastic too.  Wilburn was special and UNT had a great punter back then too (Baker). UNT used to be known for having great punters.

I for one hope that OU continues to play UNT. Very friendly fans up there in Norman too.

• Upvote 3

Now that's funny. 

I played on the 1994 Southland Conference Championship team, 1995 Independent team and two seasons of the Big West.

The reason I know the situation so well is because I was the starting long snapper for North Texas in 94, 95, 96 & 97 minus 2.5 quarters during the Oklahoma game in 95. I was benched by Matt Simon before the Oklahoma game for reasons never explained to me. I was told Chuck Mills fought like hell to keep me as the starter but Simon wanted the #2 guy to start. Needless to say I got my job back in the 3rd quarter in Norman after a second bad snap that went over the punters head.

I'll leave the names out even though it doesn't matter now and give y'all the readers digest version. OU pinned us on our own goal line. On 3rd down our tailback fumbled on a run up the middle. It appeared it was OU ball. It wasn't, the tailback recovered. OU ran their offense on the field. Our defense and punt team both started running on the field. Half our team realized it was still our ball. The defense returned to the sideline. OU still had their offense on the field. 10 members of our punt team lined up, minus a future All American/NFL punter. It's the up backs job to count players and he didn't. OU was switching out personnel so it should have been an easy free punt. The up back was screaming "snap the ball" over and over. The long snapper had never been on the field before and absolutely not in front of a sold out OU crowd. He did what the up back told him to do. He snapped the ball out of the endzone, minus a punter, for a safety.

So, who do you think was the long snapper in the media guide? Yours truly. ESPN ran it all year. Letterman called me the dumbest player in college football. My answering machine was full for weeks. My friends make fun of me to this day, although they know what happened.

So, where was I. Truth be told, the punter, kicker and I thought it was a fumble and we had been admiring a couple of OU coeds a couple of feet behind us. Crucify us for checking out girls/cheerleaders but that is standard operating procedure no matter what is going on at 20 years old. The punter saw what was happening and tried to run out. The long snapper should have taken the delay of game and backed up two feet but lacked experience, especially in the craziness of a large crowd.

In the end, I never screwed up a snap in four seasons and snapped the ball to 2 All-Americans who both went on to the NFL. Thankfully, few ever knew my name.

I was sitting on UNTexas's couch w/ his step dad in 2001 when ESPN showed the highlight, it could have been 2002, I don't recall. Craig James still used UNTexas's name, not the kid who snapped the ball. UNTexas went nuts screaming at the TV saying "It was ...., not me!"  In our circle of friends from UNT/Denton circa 1994 thru 2000 we still say it was UNTexas. However it isn't accurate. But since when does a good story have to be accurate!  You always get 10 % bs for comedic value. If a girl is involved you can shoot for the moon!!!

Good times fellas, good times.

GMG

• Upvote 3

I was sitting on UNTexas's couch w/ his step dad in 2001 when ESPN showed the highlight, it could have been 2002, I don't recall. Craig James still used UNTexas's name, not the kid who snapped the ball. UNTexas went nuts screaming at the TV saying "It was ...., not me!"  In our circle of friends from UNT/Denton circa 1994 thru 2000 we still say it was UNTexas. However it isn't accurate. But since when does a good story have to be accurate!  You always get 10 % bs for comedic value. If a girl is involved you can shoot for the moon!!!

Good times fellas, good times.

GMG

All I know is that I never saw him NOT snap that ball. It's really all the proof I need.  He did it and frankly should be ashamed to drag the good names of Letterman and Craig James through the mud.  

• Upvote 4

All I know is that I never saw him NOT snap that ball. It's really all the proof I need.  He did it and frankly should be ashamed to drag the good names of Letterman and Craig James through the mud.  

Are you insinuating that someone else, perhaps some long snapper on this very board, was the real agent behind the death of those five hookers?

This is the kind of hard hitting insight you can only get on gmg.com people, revel in it.

Are you insinuating that someone else, perhaps some long snapper on this very board, was the real agent behind the death of those five hookers?

This is the kind of hard hitting insight you can only get on gmg.com people, revel in it.

Well, one is a model citizen with a down to earth hard working son.  The other snapped the ball through the end zone at OU. You can draw your own conclusions. 

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 4

Well, one is a model citizen with a down to earth hard working son.  The other snapped the ball through the end zone at OU. You can draw your own conclusions.  

I need some time to think of a way to rebuke this slander against me. I've had 20 years for the OU jokes and the false claim you and the Mrs came up with about me losing a testicle. I will figure out my revenge. It's coming...

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...

Well well well, leave it to my old buddy TC to throw me under the bus after all these years. Tim, you conveniently left a few of the details off and kept the edges fuzzy to keep your good name intact.  If you remember, you lost your job the first game of the season against Missouri. Something about large linebackers spooking you to snap the ball over Tobys head.  OU was the 4th game of the season.  So to say I was rattled by my first big snapping experience is a bit off. You know as well as I do with repetition comes automation.  With your boy Simon and the full-back both screaming to snap the ball there was no time or reason to see if the punter was there. You assume he's there because he's always there.  Sorry you got caught up in the aftermath, imagine if you were actually on the field. Pal.

That all being said, what damn good times we had together.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Jmart87 said:

Well well well, leave it to my old buddy TC to throw me under the bus after all these years. Tim, you conveniently left a few of the details off and kept the edges fuzzy to keep your good name intact.  If you remember, you lost your job the first game of the season against Missouri. Something about large linebackers spooking you to snap the ball over Tobys head.  OU was the 4th game of the season.  So to say I was rattled by my first big snapping experience is a bit off. You know as well as I do with repetition comes automation.  With your boy Simon and the full-back both screaming to snap the ball there was no time or reason to see if the punter was there. You assume he's there because he's always there.  Sorry you got caught up in the aftermath, imagine if you were actually on the field. Pal.

Still snapped the ball to someone who wasn't there, reasons aside. That play is unfortunately one of the more lasting legacies of UNT football vs a P5 opponent. At least from a sound bite/video clip perspective. You build a 1000 bridges, but snap one ball to a guy who wasn't there, they don't call you a bridge builder.  Sorry man, you deserve to be under the bus. Of course it was a mistake and not indicative of your skills as a player, I don't think that was anyone's intent, especially #59. It was just a famous mistake. For me I am sad because I like to pin it on UNTexas.

Welcome to the board. It is great to have former player's perspectives. GMG

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, GM1998 said:

Still snapped the ball to someone who wasn't there, reasons aside. That play is unfortunately one of the more lasting legacies of UNT football vs a P5 opponent. At least from a sound bite/video clip perspective. You build a 1000 bridges, but snap one ball to a guy who wasn't there, they don't call you a bridge builder.  Sorry man, you deserve to be under the bus. Of course it was a mistake and not indicative of your skills as a player, I don't think that was anyone's intent, especially #59. It was just a famous mistake. For me I am sad because I like to pin it on UNTexas.

Welcome to the board. It is great to have former player's perspectives. GMG

BarnStirringMoulage.gif

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jmart87 said:

Dude I'm not throwing you under the bus! I never even said your name. Let me reply to your post and without internet arguing because you're an awesome guy. I didn't snap a ball over anyone's head, ever, in a game. Low, guilty as hell. Missouri was an example of that. Coach Mike actually sat me down and said I did nothing wrong. We split time until OU and then you were the starter. He said Simon wanted you plain and simple and gave no explanation. And I totally get how the whole thing happened because I've been there. Taking the delay of game wouldn't have been a big deal but who cares now. Its not a scenario you actually prepare for anyway.

Anyway, people on this board have talked about that play for years and no one was even close to right. But they always said it was me. After 21 years I think its okay to tell them it wasn't me. It's mostly funny after all these years. Some of the guys on this board love telling that story while changing the facts, to make it worse of course. They also died laughing when they said my name on ESPN in the early 2000s while we were watching the UNT vs OU after already telling their version again over beers. They now tell that story about the look on my face when they showed the play and said my name on a live broadcast. (It was very funny though.) David Letterman ran it and everyone I ever knew called me thinking it was me. ESPN ran it to, same story. Hell, I remember you joking and telling me you told people it was me. I laughed to because it's funny. I was listed in the media guide after all, so it made sense. 

Like I said, I'm not into pushing people under busses. But I'm not rewriting history because it wasn't me like all these guys on here claim. It was just shit that happens when you play a game as a kid. The story is pure gold now, like I said, some of my friends still tell it as a joke even though they were at the game. They also post here making up facts. They also tell people I have one testicle due to a pencil accident too, but that's another story all together. And I have two but really can't prove it because they have rebuttals, just like the story about that game.

I got the first beer next time I see you and we can swap war stories. Those were really fun times. I wouldn't have changed any of it. 

On another note, did you hear about Coach Mike?

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Dude I'm not throwing you under the bus! I never even said your name. Let me reply to your post and without internet arguing because you're an awesome guy. I didn't snap a ball over anyone's head, ever, in a game. Low, guilty as hell. Missouri was an example of that. Coach Mike actually sat me down and said I did nothing wrong. We split time until OU and then you were the starter. He said Simon wanted you plain and simple and gave no explanation. And I totally get how the whole thing happened because I've been there. Taking the delay of game wouldn't have been a big deal but who cares now. Its not a scenario you actually prepare for anyway.

Anyway, people on this board have talked about that play for years and no one was even close to right. But they always said it was me. After 21 years I think its okay to tell them it wasn't me. It's mostly funny after all these years. Some of the guys on this board love telling that story while changing the facts, to make it worse of course. They also died laughing when they said my name on ESPN in the early 2000s while we were watching the UNT vs OU after already telling their version again over beers. They now tell that story about the look on my face when they showed the play and said my name on a live broadcast. (It was very funny though.) David Letterman ran it and everyone I ever knew called me thinking it was me. ESPN ran it to, same story. Hell, I remember you joking and telling me you told people it was me. I laughed to because it's funny. I was listed in the media guide after all, so it made sense. 

Like I said, I'm not into pushing people under busses. But I'm not rewriting history because it wasn't me like all these guys on here claim. It was just shit that happens when you play a game as a kid. The story is pure gold now, like I said, some of my friends still tell it as a joke even though they were at the game. They also post here making up facts. They also tell people I have one testicle due to a pencil accident too, but that's another story all together. And I have two but really can't prove it because they have rebuttals, just like the story about that game.

I got the first beer next time I see you and we can swap war stories. Those were really fun times. I wouldn't have changed any of it. 

On another note, did you hear about Coach Mike?

You have reached a new low UNTexas.  For years you have been denying you snapped that ball as if Letterman and ESPN would just make up such slanderous allegations.  Now you go so far as have JM come on here and claim it was him? I don't know what nefarious pictures you have of JM but you should be ashamed of these low level tactics to clear your name.  Just own up to it..... you ordered the code red!  Errr... I mean snapped the ball!    Now nut up and admit it!!!! 

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 2