MGB Tuesday afternoon update

Brett Vito

Didn't Tom Herman go through that last year with OSU? He was putting a staff together as he worked with the team. The staff can hit the ground running. Besides, how cool would it sound to a recruit that his potential HC is off playing for a national championship?

Good point!  Hadn't thought of it that way.

I would think, they would have Meach as the plan B?  I am torn on who to pull for on Saturday.  Part of me wants to see him blow Clemson away, the other side of me is hoping Clemson pulls it out late...

My nightmare is that some BIG program has stated, IF you defeat Clemson we will offer you X.... however, the bigger ones are starting to fill up their dance cards.

Shirley, they have some type of intent to contract or something in place or they would not have let Meach off the hook.

Plan B? We don't even have Plan A defined yet..........

And stop calling me Shirley.

• Upvote 4

im betting Littrell gets announced during the ACC championship game. just like fuente was during Memphis last home game. guessing a deal is already in place. im thinking RV and president are just being respectful to UNC during there conference title game. even if UNC wins and makes the playoffs Fedora will have a month to groom the the next playcaller or may take on duties himself. Ohio state did it last year with herman and it work out alright. im sure fedora and UNC has just asked to keep it quit until the game has begun to keep their players from getting distracted 

• Upvote 6

im betting Littrell gets announced during the ACC championship game. just like fuente was during Memphis last home game. guessing a deal is already in place. im thinking RV and president are just being respectful to UNC during there conference title game. even if UNC wins and makes the playoffs Fedora will have a month to groom the the next playcaller or may take on duties himself. Ohio state did it last year with herman and it work out alright. im sure fedora and UNC has just asked to keep it quit until the game has begun to keep their players from getting distracted 

It's everywhere.  I'm sure the players know.  

And the fact that Littrell hasn't come out and said something like "I'm not looking at any other opportunities other than the opportunity to win an ACC Championship with my team...", is pretty damning.

It's everywhere.  I'm sure the players know.  

And the fact that Littrell hasn't come out and said something like "I'm not looking at any other opportunities other than the opportunity to win an ACC Championship with my team...", is pretty damning.

im sure but as long as its not announced officially Seth can say that there is nothing official and all rumors

I really can't see Fedora forcing anyone to stat past the conference championship game.  He already has two OC's who report to Littrell, good time to see if either will be THE OC next year.

Seth littrell replaced the last OC blake anderson who is now the head coach at Arkansas state. and fedora didnt try to stop him. some head coaches like there coaching tree to grow..Fedora was at southern miss before. i wonder if any of Rv old contacts help getting seth..

If this goes south...no one will buy season tickets, mean green club or want to attend a game again. Apogee will be turned into a soccer stadium and track. 

A little hyperbole perhaps? Back away from the cliff a bit.  We will have a head coach. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I have no doubt that Littrell is a done deal.  I'll be shocked (and extremely disappointed) if he is not our next head coach.

I have no more information than anyone on this board.  In my opinion all signs point to him being the guy.

Oh please let Littrell be the man.  Over the last 2 years, it has been nothing but heartache and bad luck around here.    Now, we just expect the worst to happen.

It's all about momentum.    Hopefully Seth is our guy and the momentum finally starts to swing the other way.

• Upvote 1

Good point!  Hadn't thought of it that way.

It was very important that a contract got done with Littrell yesterday at the latest.

Why?

Because we just snubbed the 2nd choice and that decreases negotiation leverage. If it wasn't done yesterday, it probably won't get done until Sunday, and maybe later if Lottrell has interviewed with anyone else. Littrell now has the leverage, but would be playing a dangerous game. 

Will UNT continue their history of comedic athletic faux pas? Or did they finally do it right? 

Stay tuned...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

i will assume this was done right since the smatresk was involved.  No way they announce a final 2, then sit and allow one to remove his name without a deal signed.  I would hope smastresk and a committee would be better than that.  A deal has to be done at this point.  Looks like meacham had a chance to steal the job, but it was Littrell's to lose.  

• Upvote 2

No way they announce a final 2, then sit and allow one to remove his name without a deal signed.

Among other things, I guess this is the main reason I think the deal is done.  It just seems impossible to me that this could happen...even by UNT athletic standards it seems impossible.

• Upvote 2

Among other things, I guess this is the main reason I think the deal is done.  It just seems impossible to me that this could happen...even by UNT athletic standards it seems impossible.

it's very possible. If this is a handshake deal and UNC smokes Clemson, Littrell can simply walk away for a better opportunity. If RV is involved, I consider this a VERY real possibility. 

I hope Smatresk would be smarter, but this isn't his field of expertise (which is why hiring a competent AD before a football coach is so important). 

And what is this "committee" of which you speak. This is the first I've heard of it.

• Upvote 2

it's very possible. If this is a handshake deal and UNC smokes Clemson, Littrell can simply walk away for a better opportunity. If RV is involved, I consider this a VERY real possibility. 

I hope Smatresk would be smarter, but this isn't his field of expertise (which is why hiring a competent AD before a football coach is so important). 

And what is this "committee" of which you speak. This is the first I've heard of it.

What better opportunity?

Yes I have. 

It won't be Georgia, Maryland, Miami, Mizzou or Virginia. Those teams want current head coaches. He won't get a P5 job. Tom Herman was the best OC last year and only got a G5 job  

Memphis has pretty much got their guy.

South Carolina is going after Smart or Muschamp  

Syracuse or Rutgers? Probably going to be a Northern guy.

So ULM, Toledo, Tulane really how much better are those jobs?

Have you forgotten who is still available?

Riley, Briles, Venerables, Fritz, Schiano, the list is long. 

Ruhle, Golden, Fleck, Troy Calhoun, Blake Anderson, Bill Clark, Monken, Chris Ash, Dykes, 

Toledo isn't a rebuild job and is in a similiar conference. Tulane is a better job in a better conference. 

Don't forget we have the worst talent in FBS right now, and a host of locker room and AD problems. We truly are the largest train wreck in college football right now. 

For that reason, I think just about any job outside of ULM could be considered a better job, especially for a first time head coach. 

You better hope he is already locked up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Toledo isn't a rebuild job and is in a similiar conference. Tulane is a better job in a better conference. 

Don't forget we have the worst talent in FBS right now, and a host of locker room and AD problems. We truly are the largest train wreck in college football right now. 

For that reason, I think just about any job outside of ULM could be considered a better job, especially for a first time head coach. 

You better hope he is already locked up. 

and a tough place to win at since 98'

Edited by All About UNT