MGB: Villarreal, school officials say no decision made

Brett Vito

This came from a Texas forum, and TIFWIW--I have no idea of the veracity of this info:

"I have a very well informed friend from the UNT side of things...Apparently Patterson offered Meacham a sizable raise to stay aboard when it became apparent that Cumbie would likely be jumping ship. Causing Meacham to cancel a meeting with the UNT folks scheduled for today."

http://www.orangebloods.com

Edited by LongJim

This came from a Texas forum, and TIFWIW--I have no idea of the veracity of this info:

"I have a very well informed friend from the UNT side of things...Apparently Patterson offered Meacham a sizable raise to stay aboard when it became apparent that Cumbie would likely be jumping ship. Causing Meacham to cancel a meeting with the UNT folks scheduled for today."

Link? 

• Upvote 1

If UNC scores a ton of points and beats #1 Clemson on Saturday, Littrell's value will go through the roof. 

If he is the choice, it needs to get done before this weekend. If it can't, move on to others and keep him as a fallback.

So you married the first girl that said yes? Patience my friend, things will work out in the end. We have something to offer these two candidates that nobody else can, location. We are driving distance from Meacham's home and we are the closest head coaching job to Littrell's beloved Oklahoma. Relax, everything will be fine.

^ Exactly, I'm not educated on how the coach hiring process works... But why can't UNT offer Littrell the job before his conference champ game? if they are very serious about him? I get that the guy's busy... But we are not exactly a school that should be waiting on candidates to finish up their business and letting them take their time to accept an offer. We have to get this show on the road and start recruiting. This year really shows there is a lot of work to do!

Who says we haven't?  Just because we've offered doesn't mean he'd immediately accept.  Ditto for Meacham.

Problem for us is, we are treated third class.  We need talent.  Our recruiting is thin already, and the days are burning.  These two candidates, who are good choices, have essentially put us on hold. 

So, where does that really put us with them?  They obviously consider us a fallback if other things don't work out. 

Would help to know that there is a third or fourth candidate out there ready to sign up and lead.  Totally understand Littrell's situation and, potentially, Meacham's.  But, here is where you tell either, "Fish or cut bait.  Our program is important as well." 

Remember, we waited and waited and waited for Dodge to finally finish his high school season, and lost valuable recruiting time.  Much of that initial Dodge signing class quit.  

Meacham and Littrell are great coaches.  But, with scholarships as important as they are, I doubt recruits just sit and wait to see who is named head coach at UNT.  Other coaches will use are void against us in recruiting.  

• Upvote 1

So you married the first girl that said yes? Patience my friend, things will work out in the end. We have something to offer these two candidates that nobody else can, location. We are driving distance from Meacham's home and we are the closest head coaching job to Littrell's beloved Oklahoma. Relax, everything will be fine.

You are very naive...

I can see this being a possibly. GP isn't going to let both leave regardless. Might let one go but definitely not both of them. The wallet will open quickly. 

While I agree with this logic, i doubt that they would rather do everything they can for Meacham, as compared to Cumbie, who could possibly be going to an in-conference rival...

We don't have any information to make an informed decision as to what is going on at UNT and TCU. Texas might have thrown a wrench in the deal by going after Cumbie which would give Meacham more leverage in terms of responsibility and compensation. No matter how this shakes out no one can look as bad as LSU in their failed attempt to fire Miles. The longer their A.D. backtracked the longer his nose got.

• Upvote 2

If Meacham doesn't take the job then, no matter how you slice it, RV couldn't convince him to take a HEAD coaching job over being a coordinator

If Meacham gets a huge raise from TCU, his family doesn't have to move, he keeps his same job, with the perks of recruiting to a rising P5 program, it might not be that RV couldn't sell him on this. It could be that TCU just made the situation much more comfortable for him, in a situation he has obviously thrived. The next three years at TCU should be a lot easier to coach in than it will be here in Denton digging out of this avalanche.

• Upvote 1

After D'Andre this summer I am a nervous wreck.  I hope Littrell is already signed because I bet UNC wins this weekend and Littrell will get pounced on by some big powers leaving us completely empty handed.

Nervous.
GMG

• Upvote 2

Who says we haven't?  Just because we've offered doesn't mean he'd immediately accept.  Ditto for Meacham.

Problem for us is, we are treated third class.  We need talent.  Our recruiting is thin already, and the days are burning.  These two candidates, who are good choices, have essentially put us on hold. 

So, where does that really put us with them?  They obviously consider us a fallback if other things don't work out. 

Would help to know that there is a third or fourth candidate out there ready to sign up and lead.  Totally understand Littrell's situation and, potentially, Meacham's.  But, here is where you tell either, "Fish or cut bait.  Our program is important as well." 

Remember, we waited and waited and waited for Dodge to finally finish his high school season, and lost valuable recruiting time.  Much of that initial Dodge signing class quit.  

Meacham and Littrell are great coaches.  But, with scholarships as important as they are, I doubt recruits just sit and wait to see who is named head coach at UNT.  Other coaches will use are void against us in recruiting.  

I agree it hurts timewise but I would be willing to forgo a week if it meant getting the best guy.   Again, both of these guys are good.  So long as we land one of them I'm good.  if we lose them both I'm pi$$ed.

Wow. That is a LOT of angst out here. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy our well earned battered fan syndrome as much as the next guy, but there are pletny of good reasons why we don't have a coach yet as well as bad ones (and yes I know experience tought us to assume the worst, but that is part of the pathology my friends).

For one we could sign Littrell if he is Smatresks choice. But for obvious reasons UNT can't announce it until AFTER the ACC championship game. Even if we sign him now, that is late enough for a FOIA to not come up before you announce on sunday. If it is Meecham, then delay is indeed a problem, as there are no good reasons for delay.

• Upvote 2

Wow. That is a LOT of angst out here. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy our well earned battered fan syndrome as much as the next guy, but there are pletny of good reasons why we don't have a coach yet as well as bad ones (and yes I know experience tought us to assume the worst, but that is part of the pathology my friends).

For one we could sign Littrell if he is Smatresks choice. But for obvious reasons UNT can't announce it until AFTER the ACC championship game. Even if we sign him now, that is late enough for a FOIA to not come up before you announce on sunday. If it is Meecham, then delay is indeed a problem, as there are no good reasons for delay.

Well -- it would ease our mind to know we had a contract in place with him prior to that Clemson game.  I am here to tell you, UNC with this guy calling plays could upset them, and his stock will go through the roof!

The problem here is that these coaches know what they face here. A P5 coordinator looks at their current job and thinks if they can get a raise or another season of success, there are better pay days ahead for them at their current schools or at another job. We are raising our pay, apparently, but that's a number that is below a lot of a schools not in the MAC, CUSA, or SBC. That makes it hard when schools like UH will pay their coach $3 million a year.