What is Derek Thompson doing?.....

GreenTexan13

Who cares? I proudly wear my North Texas and A&M gear because I will have diplomas from both schools. North Texas always comes first of course but A&M isn't a rival and the two are on completely separate levels. My GF is an Angels fans and I'd never wear their gear, but without a rivalry or even competing in the same league basically there's no conflict of interest. 

DT I am sure had plenty of reason and it is fine. Talk about a guy that bleeds green. 

How about giving your fan base a reason not to wear other school's apparel instead of criticizing the guy who helped lead the team that brought 35,000 fans to a New Years Day bowl game win. Joking or not, seems like bad taste to me. 

• Upvote 1

Who cares? I proudly wear my North Texas and A&M gear because I will have diplomas from both schools.

Nobody questions wearing gear for another school you attended. You get a pass.

But when I went to UNT there were more students in UT and A&M gear than UNT gear. That got on my nerves.

I love Derek Football, so I am not going to give him any grief for wearing the gear of his future siblings-in-law. As long as he only did it once. And he felt sick inside.

Edited by rcade
  • Downvote 1

I do wear UCLA stuff when we are at a UCLA event. However, I immediately put on my Brelan Chancellor Jersey after the event is over. If both teams are playing, UCLA loses. I can't mismatch. It just doesn't seem right. I may not be Carlos Harris level of fashion, but I try to avoid looking like a stock car.

• Upvote 1

Like I said, we don't know the reasoning behind it. I wouldn't do it, but I think you will find that fans and athletes have a different viewpoint about this sorta stuff. You may not like it and that's fine, but this is whole thing is way overblown. 

We do know the reason behind it. Read Derek's girlfriend's tweet earlier in this thread. 

Nothing wrong with what DT did. Just thank your lucky stars that he is still involved with UNT, unlike hundreds of other former players. 

Derek's parents own club seats, so are obviously MGC members and supports of a crappy, dysfunctional program that refuses to address problems. 

If he wanted to wear SMU stuff to support a family member on a day we don't play them, I could give a crap. 

Capper should be suspended from Twitter. He's worse than a lot of players.

• Upvote 6

Nobody questions wearing gear for another school you attended. You get a pass.

But when I went to UNT there were more students in UT and A&M gear than UNT gear. That got on my nerves.

I love Derek Football, so I am not going to give him any grief for wearing the gear of his future siblings-in-law. As long as he only did it once. And he felt sick inside.

That's to be expected though. It used to irritate me as well until I realized how dysfunctional our Athletic Department is and how we don't give them anything to root for. So of course they are going to go with who they rooted for growing up. It's on the AD to give them a reason not to. T-shirt fans are gonna t-shirt, nothing you can do about it. 

• Upvote 1

My fiancée wears UH gear to work (she works...well, worked) there...does that make her less of a UNT fan? 

Answer is no. 

It doesn't make her more of a UNT fan to wear UH gear.

Do the right thing: Buy her nothing but UNT gear for Christmas, for this and successive holidays, until she gets with the program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

FWIW, if my daughter-in-law (a TCU grad) invited me to a TCU game, I would show up in full NT gear.....yelling my head off for TCU........and she knows it.

I don't wear other schools gear. I wear the gear of the school that bestowed a degree on me.

I'm the same way. As a kid I grew up wearing Baylor gear on occasion (parents), but would never even consider wearing as much as a school hat that didn't have an NT on it to a college sporting event. Loyalty. 

FWIW, if my daughter-in-law (a TCU grad) invited me to a TCU game, I would show up in full NT gear.....yelling my head off for TCU........and she knows it.

I don't wear other schools gear. I wear the gear of the school that bestowed a degree on me.

Why not just wear non-logo gear?  If I go to a UT game or an A&M game with my buddies, I just wear a neutral color shirt.

I don't care who it is, when a fan wears the apparel of a team not playing, it looks very, very strange...I'm always amazed when I watch the Texas-OU game on TV every year and see the random Aggie Fan with his 12th man jersey on. The fan may think it makes him look extremely loyal to his school, but in reality, to the rest of the world, it screams many bad things I don't wish to post on this website...

For all of you who are so Mean Green, that this kind of thing bothers you and you refuse to wear another team's gear when you've either paid for a ticket to their game or a family member/significant other who either attended or attends gets you a ticket:  
Here you go...

av12.jpg 

All of the rest of us bow down to your senseless but steadfast pride.

• Upvote 1

I wore a Red Raider shirt at the game Thursday because that is who bestowed a degree on my wife 4 years after we got married. When she got that degree, I felt like I got a part of that degree too because we worked together to get her through it. I am above all a North Texas grad and superfan but don't mind wearing another team's gear if it is for my family as long as I get to wear a piece of Mean Green gear with it.

• Upvote 1

... you refuse to wear another team's gear when you've either paid for a ticket to their game ...

Who wears another college team's gear just because they bought a ticket to one of its games?

There's way too much uniform promiscuity going on within the UNT community. Dance with the one what brung you.

The next UT grad who buys a UNT shirt just because he is attending a game at Apogee will be the first.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I fought this battle of immaturity for years.  At the end of the day, the wife (a Baylor grad) had attended every UNT home game for 10+ years and always cheered her head off for UNT.  I used to not ever wear any Baylor gear, even to their games....but I think that was a douche move by me.  If she's gonna wear UNT gear and support the Mean Green for me, then I can do the same for her.

My $.02.

• Upvote 3

I fought this battle of immaturity for years.  At the end of the day, the wife (a Baylor grad) had attended every UNT home game for 10+ years and always cheered her head off for UNT.  I used to not ever wear any Baylor gear, even to their games....but I think that was a douche move by me.  If she's gonna wear UNT gear and support the Mean Green for me, then I can do the same for her.

My $.02.

And for admitting that you're such a horrible fan, here's your trophy:
s-l1000.jpg

• Upvote 3