ESPN and SEC network make UNT the joke of college football

UNT90

UTSA is the only game in town. San Antonio is 3rd largest city in Texas. It is easy to see why Power 5 schools would want to play there for recruiting purposes vs. Denton. Granted we are 30 miles from DFW, but it's not the same. To me the best school for us to compare our scheduling with is Texas State.This is just my observation. Since I don't know their athletic budget or alumni level of giving I can't express an informed opinion as to why they can and we can't. I would think they would be trading dollars, as what you would pay them to come to San Marcus is probably what they pay you to come to their house.

I could almost bet the house it's more than ours. 

A lot of negativity being spread.  No everyone is not making fun of NT, to most casual fans  NT and the majority of other G5's are not even a blip on the college football radar.  

There are a lot of positives.  NT despite the gloom and doom has already make a huge statement that football is important.   The school just ate a $2m buyout, something that most including me never thought would happen.  Also talk of a $1m hc salary should be a tremendous plus compared to any other sports hiring in NT history. 

RV is still here, but I doubt he is little more than the first interview.  However, even if he has a lot of input; the odds of a good choice are still better than any other time at NT.  Ever football coach perhaps other than McCarney was selected from a much smaller field due to financial restraints.   The main emphasis  on the Jerry Moore through Todd Dodge hire was to make an under the market hire who could possibly win. 

The right choice could quickly turn this program around.  This is a time to be excited about the future.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

ESPN and SEC Network aren't to blame. UNT did this to themselves.

Damn if that is not the Truth! 

90 where is that Billboard fund lets get that thing moving! 

RV has to go for us to get moving in the right direction again. 

Damn if that is not the Truth! 

90 where is that Billboard fund lets get that thing moving! 

RV has to go for us to get moving in the right direction again. 

It is time to beat the drum louder. The billboard must happen. I don't care if all you can offer is 49 cents and a Charms Blowpop - throw it in the pot!

• Upvote 2

UTSA is the only game in town. San Antonio is 3rd largest city in Texas. It is easy to see why Power 5 schools would want to play there for recruiting purposes vs. Denton. Granted we are 30 miles from DFW, but it's not the same. To me the best school for us to compare our scheduling with is Texas State.This is just my observation. Since I don't know their athletic budget or alumni level of giving I can't express an informed opinion as to why they can and we can't. I would think they would be trading dollars, as what you would pay them to come to San Marcus is probably what they pay you to come to their house.

So we compare ourselves to a Sun Belt school that transitioned to FBS less than 5 years ago?

Have some standards, for Pete's sake.

• Upvote 1

ESPN and SEC network make UNT the joke of college football

No, that should read, North Texas athletic administration, in constant quest to grab easy cash, has made UNT the joke of college football

this...

#thanksRV! 

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 1

If you weren't there to see it, the box scores don't tell the full story of the utter ineptness.  

The common quality in both cases was utter stubbornness and refusal to adapt.  

So now Todd Dodge is crushing the high school football world again in his hand picked single high school bought and paid for program.  He's 10-1 and ranked 11 in the state.

He couldn't do that at UNT, and it showed.  Boy howdy did it show.  When he couldn't buy the best talent around, his football IQ was completely incapable of coaching up.

Conversely, Mac was both stubborn and incapable (unwilling?) of recruiting.  

Put this team up against 2008 and I've got to flip a coin on who wins.

After suffering through both seasons, after the coin flip I would defer.

• Upvote 1

Navy is ranked 20th in the country and 1st in AAC.. Again, thats the American Athletic Conference, a P5 school. 

yeah did you know Tennessee-Knoxville has an enrollment of 27K and ours* is 36K? 

Facts don't always translate perfectly to perception*. Like when I moved down to SA and someone asked if SA had an airport. I calmly explained that SA is the 7th largest city in the nation and it does, in fact have an airport*. She was surprised. Knoxville folks had a similar* reaction when I told them the enrollment numbers for UNT. 

My point is that while Navy is a quality get for some folks, for the average level knowledge of CFB, we maybe could stand to get someone that gets the blood pumping a bit. 

*various edits necessary due to Autocorrect. 

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 2

Navy is ranked 20th in the country and 1st in AAC.. Again, thats the American Athletic Conference, a P5 school. 

Still NFL scout aren't going to really dive into a tape of a player playing against the Naval Academy to evaluate their talent level.  Navy has no regional presence here. The only really positive out of conference scheduling contract we have is SMU.

• Downvote 1

Still NFL scout aren't going to really dive into a tape of a player playing against the Naval Academy to evaluate their talent level.  Navy has no regional presence here. The only really positive out of conference scheduling contract we have is SMU.

Huh.. Naval Academy and UNT are interchangeable. 

AAC is not P5. They are G5 just like us. 

With the split of the old Big East, there are now five power conferences: the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Big Ten ConferenceBig 12 ConferencePacific-12 Conference (Pac-12), and Southeastern Conference (SEC).

yeah did you know Tennessee-Knoxville has an enrollment of 27K and ours* is 36K? 

Facts don't always translate perfectly to perception*. Like when I moved down to SA and someone asked if SA had an airport. I calmly explained that SA is the 7th largest city in the nation and it does, in fact have an airport*. She was surprised. Knoxville folks had a similar* reaction when I told them the enrollment numbers for UNT. 

My point is that while Navy is a quality get for some folks, for the average level knowledge of CFB, we maybe could stand to get someone that gets the blood pumping a bit. 

*various edits necessary due to Autocorrect. 

All very true points but what other G5 school would be better?

Huh.. Naval Academy and UNT are interchangeable. 

With the split of the old Big East, there are now five power conferences: the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Big Ten ConferenceBig 12 ConferencePacific-12 Conference (Pac-12), and Southeastern Conference (SEC).

Yes, and the AAC is not in the group. 

Yes, and the AAC is not in the group. 

Correct.
American Athletic Conference (AAC) =/= Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)

I like the idea of paying lower tier B1G teams to do home-and-home agreements. We got Indiana to do it. While the very top tier already schedule games in the DFW area and thus get their exposure to recruits through Season Kick Off or Challenge type match ups, the Indiana, Iowa, Washington State, and Washingtons of the world could stand a visit. 

Hell, I'd do a 2-for-1 with UW. Seattle is a great town to visit in September. What about Kansas? K-State made their way to **FOUTS**. 

Wazzu has a passionate fan base that gets on Game Day all the time. They are traveling TO Central Michigan for a game. Surely we can get in on that 

Arizona has already visited UTSA, and will go TO UTEP, Houston, and San Diego State. I'm sure they wouldn't hate a visit to Dallas. 

What about Illinois? Wisconsin is already hosting us in the future, and just made a trip to play Bama at the Death Star, so they don't want to make it  again. 

Maryland is going to FIU, to Bowling Green.

I realize that there may be more to these negotiations than simply "Hey come here, cool?" but since we got Indiana to come here, I don't think it is impossible. The NW schools may not want to make that long trip, but then again Wazzu did travel to Rutgers this year. 

• Upvote 2

I like the idea of paying lower tier B1G teams to do home-and-home agreements. We got Indiana to do it. While the very top tier already schedule games in the DFW area and thus get their exposure to recruits through Season Kick Off or Challenge type match ups, the Indiana, Iowa, Washington State, and Washingtons of the world could stand a visit. 

Hell, I'd do a 2-for-1 with UW. Seattle is a great town to visit in September. What about Kansas? K-State made their way to **FOUTS**. 

Wazzu has a passionate fan base that gets on Game Day all the time. They are traveling TO Central Michigan for a game. Surely we can get in on that 

Arizona has already visited UTSA, and will go TO UTEP, Houston, and San Diego State. I'm sure they wouldn't hate a visit to Dallas. 

What about Illinois? Wisconsin is already hosting us in the future, and just made a trip to play Bama at the Death Star, so they don't want to make it  again. 

Maryland is going to FIU, to Bowling Green.

I realize that there may be more to these negotiations than simply "Hey come here, cool?" but since we got Indiana to come here, I don't think it is impossible. The NW schools may not want to make that long trip, but then again Wazzu did travel to Rutgers this year. 

It's work and requires tough negotiating skills...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This thread contains so much depressing truth.

I think that throwing another cent at this AD is just wasted. Give it to the university's general scholarship fund or your college directly within UNT. Give it to charities so you can still help people and get a tax-deduction.

The BOR and administration don't care that Apogee's capacity isn't being half-used, on average, for a full season or that the Super Pit isn't even a quarter-filled, on average, for a men's basketball season. They want known money--see whore games and allowing 17 donors to control everything over there. They go by known costs only. They give you those two choices--deal with it or go away. Either way, they don't care what you choose.

I always thought it would change after we went up to Division 1 in 1995. I believed it would finally change when we built Apogee and hired an experienced head coach for the first time in 30 years. And I believed it would change after we went 9-4 and won the HoD Bowl in 2013. And each year, until this year, I watched in amazing disappointment that the BOR and administration didn't change anything in regards to running an athletic department that wanted to win, not to breakeven cost-wise.

RV is merely the puppet to this mindset. The BOR and administration are the only ones who can change it. And they look at the UNT Family and see that 98% of their "constituents" don't give a flip about our sports teams, mostly because they haven't give them any reason to think differently. That's who they pander to for their decisions--and quite frankly, its hard to blame them. Its the easier path and its the one that keeps job security. 

I have come around to understand that our College of Music is the equivalent of Notre Dame Football, well-known in its circles and highly followed by its fans and graduates. Its pure greatness, something I never imagined admitting in my life, because I was so jealous of what they got and athletics didn't from the BOR and administration. And its why I can't imagine that our leadership would put up with a subpar Dean of the College of Music or professors who weren't keeping that reputation of great music at an acceptable level. I just wish they gave the same level of passion to winning at athletics as they have toward the College of Music--because there is absolutely no doubt that it has paid off greatly for the university. It seems like that would be easy to translate to our leadership to do the same thing in athletics, but it obviously hasn't, and doesn't appear that it will anytime soon.