On a rainy night in Georgia

ADLER

The Georgia Southern Eagles, led by former Sam Houston State head coach Willie Fritz, rushed for over 500 yards while defeating Texas State.

You may remember Coach Dennis Franchione, the Big Splash name that combined with his offensive wizardry was going to be so influential in harvesting the fertile Texas recruiting grounds? A whole lot of North Texas fans thought that he'd be the best replacement choice after Dodge was fired.

Well, after five seasons, all at the FBS level, he has toiled away at Texas State and tonight ran into Willie Fritz and was handled 37-13 on national television.

Fritz has dominated at every level as he has ascended, and he has done so by assembling competent staffs, recruiting well, and utilizing his teams talents to the best of their abilities. Despite being in transition from FCS, Georgia Southern weent undefeated in league play and won the Sun Belt title in their inaugural season,  and they became bowl eligible tonight in their first season as a full FBS member.

Fritz is doing extremely well at Georgia Southern and we'd be very lucky to get him. Unlike many of the other so-called favorites his head coaching experience isn't limited to X-Box or Playstation.

Take substance over sizzle guys, Fritz knows what he is doing.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

If we want to attract fans from around Denton as well as the students and alumni, win games and fill Apogee stadium then we need to run the spread. We need to get out of the rut of being a running offense. We've been there, done that. That doesn't mean we can't have a great running game but we need a real, legit aerial attack first.

• Downvote 1

If we want to attract fans from around Denton as well as the students and alumni, win games and fill Apogee stadium then we need to run the spread. We need to get out of the rut of being a running offense. We've been there, done that. That doesn't mean we can't have a great running game but we need a real, legit aerial attack first.

This is just backward thinking. An offensive system doesn't attract fans, otherwise we would have sold out most games in the Dodge era. An offensive system also doesn't win games. Again, see Dodge.

Hire someone that wins F'n football games, and wins them consistently (not a guy who has 2 or 3 winning seasons along with 9 or 10 losing seasons on his coaching record. See Dan McCarney). Winning will draw fans and students.

The damage this football season has done has lost yet another 4 years of students. Make no mistake, we are in a very big recovery mode operation at this point. And we have an AD that closes his eyes and covers his ears pretending nothing has gone wrong. The next coach has to win, win immediately, and win big or else UNT is looking at an impending move back to FCS football. 

The damage this season has done cannot be understated. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

This is just backward thinking. An offensive system doesn't attract fans, otherwise we would have sold out most games in the Dodge era. An offensive system also doesn't win games. Again, see Dodge.

Hire someone that wins F'n football games, and wins them consistently (not a guy who has 2 or 3 winning seasons along with 9 or 10 losing seasons on his coaching record. See Dan McCarney). Winning will draw fans and students.

The damage this football season has done has lost yet another 4 years of students. Make no mistake, we are in a very big recovery mode operation at this point. And we have an AD that closes his eyes and covers his ears pretending nothing has gone wrong. The next coach has to win, win immediately, and win big or else UNT is looking at an impending move back to FCS football. 

The damage this season has done cannot be understated. 

Of course an offensive system cannot attract fans in and of itself. I assumed that was common sense.You have to have a quality coach to implement it successfully. I think we will all agree that Dodge fell short. But nothing will bring back the fans faster than a quality strong armed QB throwing downfield to fast athletic receivers with the ability to score at any moment, especially when we are behind in the game and time is running out. 

An offensive system doesn't attract fans, otherwise we would have sold out most games in the Dodge era. 

Considering how awful we were during the Dodge era, it is amazing how many fans typically attended games during that time.  I have to think in large part that is because he brought an offense that was *usually* exciting to watch.

That said, sacrificing wins for the sake of an exciting/pass happy offense is sheer lunacy.

• Upvote 1

Considering how awful we were during the Dodge era, it is amazing how many fans typically attended games during that time.  I have to think in large part that is because he brought an offense that was *usually* exciting to watch.

That said, sacrificing wins for the sake of an exciting/pass happy offense is sheer lunacy.

Who is saying we have to sacrifice wins? Where are you reading that?

Who is saying we have to sacrifice wins? Where are you reading that?

While your post above doesn't come right out and say it, it implies that winning is not the primary consideration.  If we have an offense that throws the ball 35 times a game and wins 7 games a year or an offense that throws the ball 15 times a game and wins 8 games a year, which should we prefer?  I would say the second.

While your post above doesn't come right out and say it, it implies that winning is not the primary consideration.  If we have an offense that throws the ball 35 times a game and wins 7 games a year or an offense that throws the ball 15 times a game and wins 8 games a year, which should we prefer?  I would say the second.

Did you read my original post?

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

At this point I'd be happy to win 6 games a year.

You have to have better athletes than your opponent to have success in the spread offenses, guys.  We are not getting top athletes.  We do not out-athlete anyone.

Whether the next coach runs like Fritz's teams or throw like Dodge's teams, there has to be a serious and immediate upgrade in talent to make either type of offense work.

Look at those dopes from Mumme/Leach.  None of them have ever won a conference title.  Mumme, none.  Leach, none.  There were always teams in their conferences who had better athletes.  They won some games and put up big numbers on offense.  But, the name of the game and the goal of a football program (should be) is championships. 

Texas Tech gets maybe third tier athletes to run what they do.  OU blew them the f*ck out last weekend.  They are on course for yet another 6 or 7 win season.  You have to have better athletes all the way around to make that offense work. 

Your defense also has to be ready to play the majority of the minutes because one of two things is going to happen:
(1) You are going to score quickly, thus putting the defense back on the field quickly, or
(2) You are going to three and out quickly, thus putting the defense back on the field quickly. 

Either way, it's a b*tch if you don't have the athletes to make it work.  Right, Kliffy?

hqdefault.jpg 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller

Well Dennis went down to Georgia
He was lookin' for a game to steal
He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind
And he was willin' to make a deal
When he came across Willie Fritz
Coachin Football and Playin it hot
And Dennis jumped up on a hickory stump
And said, "Boy, let me tell you what"
"You probably didn't know it
But I'm a Coach too
And if you care to take a dare
I'll just make a bet with you"
"Now you coach pretty good football, boy
But give the Dennis his due
I'll bet a Football of gold against your soul
I think I'm better than you"
The boy said, "My name's Willie
And it might be a sin
But I'm gonna take your bet, you're gonna regret
I'm the best there's ever been"
  • Upvote 2

If we got Willie Fritz, it would be damn near miraculous. He's built a nice thing at Georgia Southern and will have several AAC and ACC suitors in due time. His next job opportunity as a head coach isn't gonna be a step up to CUSA--its going to be to a higher rung on the ladder.

And he sure ain't coming to work for Rick F'ing Villareal...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1