Next HC Salary??

untjim1995

WOW.  Are all of you that are proposing paying more than the previous record salary, the most NT has ever spent in school history, are all of you ready to join the Mean Green Club or increase your Mean Green Club membership payments ?

It's easy for those without any or insufficient skin in the game to dictate to those that do support the program with MONEY how that money should be spent. 

What's that saying ?  Money talks and so on and so on. 

Don't look for that big donor.  Look in your check register and see how much this program really means to you.

Beat UTSA

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

Foolish, you pay the lowest amount you can hire a particular coach for.  If he is successful than you can more likely afford increases, if he is not then you limit your exposure to big buyouts.  I had much rather NT be in a position that people marvel at what a bargain they got versus NT blew it again with giving x dollars to that loser.  

You can't apply standard market principles to this particular situation.  UNT has developed a bad reputation for coaches over the past 10-20 years.  This tends to cause some to question as to the level of commitment from the administration etc.. A bump in the pay scale could help alleviate these concerns.  I am sure that there are many who originally were not interested in a job but reconsidered when they determined that the compensation was too good to pass up.  So you need to be able to tell agents and the market in general what your range of pay is or your may lose out on some of the better candidates.

Since we just bought out the richest contract in the history of the school, costing us $2.1 million or so, what salary do you think the next head coach will get?  If DMac got $700k per year, basically, will we stay in that range still or go lower because we aren't hiring an older, more experienced head coach like we did with DMac? Or do we go higher, like $750k or more? Can we even afford to do that after that buyout? And how does Benford's contract year (basically) also factor into this all, since he would have a year left to be bought out if he gets canned after this season at $325k?

I guess the answer to that question goes to how the buyout is being funded--was it from the donors, the university itself, or both? If the BMDs covered it, then I think the salary we will pay probably won't go down. If the university paid it in full, I believe it will drop down to the $500k range, if not further. Either way, it will be interesting to see. It really surprised me that we bought McCarney out, but I'm sure glad it happened after that loss, just to send the message that this is unacceptable in every way imaginable. It will be interesting to see if and how that impacts the next hire. An assistant coach like a Chris Thomsen or a Sonny Cumbie might be available at a $500k salary, just because of never having been a head coach at this level, and especially if it helps to attain better coordinators and other assistant coaches because the coaching salary pool would be higher if the head coach takes less.

I hate buyouts as much as the next guy.  You have to feel pretty good about it in UNT's case here though.  It is indeed a monumental first.  Yes it stings, but look at the college landscape and it happens a LOT and usually for a whole lot more than $2.1.  I am extremely impressed that our University and the donors finally had enough and were willing to bite the bullet for the future of the program.  So while you look at the largest UNT buyout as a negative, I actually view it as a positive.  We are stepping up and wearing our big boy pants.  We want to build a winning program even if it means we have to correct a mistake.  Other places with more resources and expectations might have done it last year.  In the past we would have waited until Mac's final contract season to correct the issue.  Now, what I want to see next is a coach paying us because he is leaving his contract to take a bigger job.

Edited by Harry

Load it with attendance, wins, bowls, and academic performance incentives and make the base a little lower. 

This. 

Base of 800k. 120,000 in attendance on the year he gets an additional 50k. 150,000 in attendance he gets another 50k. Sellout of the stadium he gets another 50k. 7+ wins he gets 100k. Bowl appearance he gets 25k. Bowl win he gets 50k. 50+ 3.0 GPA's he gets 50k.   

Potential earnings of - 1.175M 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

You can't apply standard market principles to this particular situation.  UNT has developed a bad reputation for coaches over the past 10-20 years.  This tends to cause some to question as to the level of commitment from the administration etc.. A bump in the pay scale could help alleviate these concerns.  I am sure that there are many who originally were not interested in a job but reconsidered when they determined that the compensation was too good to pass up.  So you need to be able to tell agents and the market in general what your range of pay is or your may lose out on some of the better candidates.

I hate buyouts as much as the next guy.  You have to feel pretty good about it in UNT's case here though.  It is indeed a monumental first.  Yes it stings, but look at the college landscape and it happens a LOT and usually for a whole lot more than $2.1.  I am extremely impressed that our University and the donors finally had enough and were willing to bite the bullet for the future of the program.  So while you look at the largest UNT buyout as a negative, I actually view it as a positive.  We are stepping up and wearing our big boy pants.  We want to build a winning program even if it means we have to correct a mistake.  Other places with more resources and expectations might have done it last year.  In the past we would have waited until Mac's final contract season to correct the issue.  Now, what I want to see next is a coach paying us because he is leaving his contract to take a bigger job.

True but don't forget what that 2.1 million could do for the program if it didn't have to be wasted on buying out someone who didn't earn it and doesn't deserve it. Maybe it could have been allocated for a new indoor practice facility. RV has really hurt this program!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I mentioned in my post that I was very glad it happened and very surprised...

Why why would Fritz make a lateral move to UNT? He's going to be on P5 radars come year's end. 

According to USA Today, his total compensation is $500k.  His coordinators are making $140k and $120k.  If we can offer him in the vicinity of $800k+ and his staff 40-50% pay raises, that would have to be enticing.  And I imagine his wife would like to get back closer to family.

And he might be on P5 radars, but is he a slam dunk to get hired by one at year's end?  He's 55, so the clock's ticking.

And he may very well be happy with what he has at Georgia Southern, and content to coach out his days there.  Couldn't blame him, if that's the case.

But he's a guy you absolutely have to make contact with to see if he's at least interested in talking.

• Upvote 4

What about these buyouts? Do these give all the feels too? (Numbers rounded up)

Stephens $206k

Dodge $200k

Peterson $413k

Peterson B/O at Wake $250k (Yep, we paid to get him)

Dickey $525k

Added to Mac's $2.1MM

Thats about $4MM in the last eight years. or to look at it another way $500k a year of absolutely wasted money.  (Although some might argue all the money paid to the majority of those coaches was wasted.)

Benford is going to be another $365k or so whenever someone finally decides to extinguish that dumpster fire. 

Of course we did get $115k for Karen Aston when Texas came calling. Although we paid $100k to Charlotte to buy her from them. Either way $15k WINDFALL!  Jonny Jones did net us $200k from LSU though so maybe we stuck that $215k in the banana stand for a rainy day.

sigh

• Upvote 6

You sell him on the raise and the chance to build a winner in a state VERY familiar to him.

I just don't see Fritz leaving Georgia Southern for our opening. Now, if UH comes open because Herman gets hired away, he'll do that in a heartbeat. But I think that one of the Florida schools in the AAC will get him.

Our way forward here is to get an assistant coach that wants to be a head coach and wants to be in the Metroplex (ahem, Sonny Cumbie) OR is a former head coach currently out of work.

Whoever it's gonna be, he's definitely taking over a program that is at the bottom of FBS. This roster needs a major overhaul--won't bother me a bit if these guys get run off. After that 66-7 debacle where you quit on Homecoming, you cannot expext that a new coach isn't going to clean house in a huge fashion in his first few years. 

• Downvote 1

You guys throwing out $1M+ are insane. You are the people who buy beats head phones. The assumption is you get a better coach, the more you pay. Bullshit. How'd that work out with Mac?

You want an up and coming coach? Pay him like he's an up and coming coach.

Beats? Not if my life depended on it. I think 1M is a good baseline to see who we can attract. But I agree with you, if we end up hiring a no name he shouldn't sniff 1M. 

You guys throwing out $1M+ are insane. You are the people who buy beats head phones. The assumption is you get a better coach, the more you pay. Bullshit. How'd that work out with Mac?

You want an up and coming coach? Pay him like he's an up and coming coach.

Jesus.  Finally some sense. This whole thing sounds like people throwing money at REITs held by Bear Sterns in 2007.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1