Next HC Salary??

untjim1995

We can't afford to be cheap here. If we want a Cumbie, Meacham, Briles, etc... then we will have to pay for them. Justin Fuente got hired away from TCU for $903K per at another G5 school.

If that is who you want, and you can get them for something around there, sure. Do it.

But, keep in mind there will probably competition for those TCU and Baylor OCs. But before those guys were Baylor and TCU OCs, they were position coaches. For the great OCs, you will have to pay more than $1M, and I just don't see there being a candidate worth that to us after other positions have been filled.

So start looking at good position coaches at other schools if you want.IMO, we should be trying to hire whoever is on Gary Patterson, Bob Stoops or Art Briles' short list for promotion or hiring into an Offensive coordinator role. Find a guy that is being groomed to move up at the successful programs. Give him a shot. I just do not think our AD is well enough connected or pays attention enough to find a guy like that. However, I could be wrong. 

This is going to get crapped on all over here, but I would not overlook our own interim HC. He immediately came in and made adjustments. He's super positive and the kids seemed to respond to him. I am not sold on his recruiting ability, but I am firmly in the camp that we need to be able to pay the entire staff to be the best recruiters and developers of talent we can find. Competing with the Memphis' of the world should be where we are at, right now. If Chico is that guy, ok, lets roll.

The highest paid coach in our league (MTSU) makes 812,000 a year. The winningest coach in our league (Marshall) makes 750,000. The highest paid coach behind that guy was Dan McCarney. The salary as it currently sits is about on par with the rest of the league, there shouldn't be a reason to go 23% over the highest paid coach, unless we get a super sure thing splash hire like one of those Baylor or TCU coordinators.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

If that is who you want, and you can get them for something around there, sure. Do it.

But, keep in mind there will probably competition for those TCU and Baylor OCs. But before those guys were Baylor and TCU OCs, they were position coaches. For the great OCs, you will have to pay more than $1M, and I just don't see there being a candidate worth that to us after other positions have been filled.

So start looking at good position coaches at other schools if you want.IMO, we should be trying to hire whoever is on Gary Patterson, Bob Stoops or Art Briles' short list for promotion or hiring into an Offensive coordinator role. Find a guy that is being groomed to move up at the successful programs. Give him a shot. I just do not think our AD is well enough connected or pays attention enough to find a guy like that. However, I could be wrong. 

This is going to get crapped on all over here, but I would not overlook our own interim HC. He immediately came in and made adjustments. He's super positive and the kids seemed to respond to him. I am not sold on his recruiting ability, but I am firmly in the camp that we need to be able to pay the entire staff to be the best recruiters and developers of talent we can find. Competing with the Memphis' of the world should be where we are at, right now. If Chico is that guy, ok, lets roll.

My point was that if we want to pay Mac money then we are looking at a G5 OC or P5 offensive position coach. Again I am going by what RV said at the start of this process; 

“We want someone who is going to be offensive minded, can recruit and put us in position to be successful,” Villarreal said.

• Upvote 1

My point was that if we want to pay Mac money then we are looking at a G5 OC or P5 offensive position coach. Again I am going by what RV said at the start of this process; 

“We want someone who is going to be offensive minded, can recruit and put us in position to be successful,” Villarreal said.
My apologies, I thought your point was we should pay $1M plus, and anything less than 900k is "being cheap". For what it is worth, the lowest paid guy in the conference is Larry Coker at around 425k. You could say cheap, but to me, that's incredible value unless he doesn't turn it around quickly.

Hopefully, after a couple of years, $750k wouldn't keep the guy here. Make an offer to give the guy the best contract in the league if he proves he's the best coach in the league. If that doesn't keep him, promote from within. Get that promotion train rolling.

My apologies, I thought your point was we should pay $1M plus, and anything less than 900k is "being cheap". For what it is worth, the lowest paid guy in the conference is Larry Coker at around 425k. You could say cheap, but to me, that's incredible value unless he doesn't turn it around quickly.

Hopefully, after a couple of years, $750k wouldn't keep the guy here. Make an offer to give the guy the best contract in the league if he proves he's the best coach in the league. If that doesn't keep him, promote from within. Get that promotion train rolling.

No worries. RV would only be cheap if he thinks he can get a good P5 OC for Mac money. If he offers $720K to the Meachams or a Briles of the world they will politely say no. If RV is really serious about making a run for Cumbie, Briles, Meacham then he will have to lay down some serious cash. Look what Smoooo just paid for Chad Morris. I just don't know where RV's head is at and what he thinks we can afford.

I don't agree with all those who say we need to increase the salary no matter what. What for? You really think the coaches salary is a big argument in recruiting? I want a good coach for the lowest salary we can get him with the best buyout conditions we can negotiate (high if he leaves for another school, low if we want to let him go). If we get the perfect coach from FCS for only 500k and invest the rest in better assistant salaries or the BBall coach or AD buyout, then that is perfectly fine with me.

• Upvote 1

No worries. RV would only be cheap if he thinks he can get a good P5 OC for Mac money. If he offers $720K to the Meachams or a Briles of the world they will politely say no. If RV is really serious about making a run for Cumbie, Briles, Meacham then he will have to lay down some serious cash. Look what Smoooo just paid for Chad Morris. I just don't know where RV's head is at and what he thinks we can afford.

Yea, Chad Morris' salary is on par for that conference. In fact, I want to say it's bottom half for that league. It's not a bad starting point. If the guy can win there, they have more where that came from.