Gofundme banner account

UNT90

What's next, streaking?  Please give plenty of advance notice if so, so that I may avert my sensitive eyes.

A billboard in Denton that simply states "Fire RV." Same message but instead for 1 hour it will be up for the World to see for 30 days. Also, just about half the price of flying a banner for the space. another 1k for a very cheap pasting of "Fire RV". That should be the next step. 

Every cent put forth to getting rid of this man should be carefully kept and the total to date should be given to Smastrek after every demonstration. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Put me on the record as saying I don't think RV deserves this.  Maybe I am just an ole softy but I think these matters could be handled professionally and with class.

FFR and I had this discussion via text last night, and Rick McKinney is one of the most supportive and dedicated NT Alums I have ever known. He is for the banner, but I am not. I don't think the banner accomplishes much in the way of change, and it only shows any potential recruits how disgruntled everyone is? I realize why the message will be up there, and many have certainly tried other avenues to get their points across. I am also on record as wanting RV gone, and I stand by that. I am just not sure if a negative banner flying around high school kids on game day hurts our recruiting efforts? Maybe the point is our recruiting is so bad now that things cannot get any worse, and if so no harm is possible. Still, what would a potential future RB sitting in the stands think when he sees a message like that flying around at a home game? Let's say he visits UTSA next weekend and gets nothing but positive vibes from the fans and Alums he encounters? What reservations would be going through his mind when our new head coach does get the chance to speak with him and his parents? I know these are "what if's", but our new coach will not be selling North Texas to a kid from Denton Guyer or Allen? Those kids already know the deal here. He will be selling North Texas to a kid who only knows what he saw on his one game day visit to Denton? I agree that a message needs to be sent, but who is that message really intended for? My name is Steve Thomas and most of you know me. I like RV as he is a very good person, but I agree it's time for new blood and a new vision. I'm just of the opinion that the airborne attack may do more harm than good..

GMG!!!

• Upvote 4

FFR and I had this discussion via text last night, and Rick McKinney is one of the most supportive and dedicated NT Alums I have ever known. He is for the banner, but I am not. I don't think the banner accomplishes much in the way of change, and it only shows any potential recruits how disgruntled everyone is? I realize why the message will be up there, and many have certainly tried other avenues to get their points across. I am also on record as wanting RV gone, and I stand by that. I am just not sure if a negative banner flying around high school kids on game day hurts our recruiting efforts? Maybe the point is our recruiting is so bad now that things cannot get any worse, and if so no harm is possible. Still, what would a potential future RB sitting in the stands think when he sees a message like that flying around at a home game? Let's say he visits UTSA next weekend and gets nothing but positive vibes from the fans and Alums he encounters? What reservations would be going through his mind when our new head coach does get the chance to speak with him and his parents? I know these are "what if's", but our new coach will not be selling North Texas to a kid from Denton Guyer or Allen? Those kids already know the deal here. He will be selling North Texas to a kid who only knows what he saw on his one game day visit to Denton? I agree that a message needs to be sent, but who is that message really intended for? My name is Steve Thomas and most of you know me. I like RV as he is a very good person, but I agree it's time for new blood and a new vision. I'm just of the opinion that the airborne attack may do more harm than good..

GMG!!!

As someone who follows recruiting very, very closely, you can take my word if you wish, but this will have no negative effects on recruiting. The players our new coach will round out our class with will not be there on Saturday. Most of the players our new coach will sign will probably not even have held an offer from the current staff.

Upwards of 90% of our average game day visitors are not being seriously considered for scholarship offers, and I doubt any kid who held an offer from the current staff will be there now that Mccarney has been fired. 

Im not saying this is good practice, in good taste, or that it won't reflect poorly in visitor's eyes. Just saying that it won't hurt our recruiting. Especially with a new coach, and especially if we have a new AD by December when the new coach will really start ramping up his recruiting efforts.

• Upvote 3

GMG!!!

I hear you, appreciate your post, and respect where you're coming from. At this moment, however, we don't even know who is going to coach this team next season. I would think that would affect potential recruits more than anything else. I hate to use this phrase, but at this point, what difference does it make?

• Upvote 1

GMG!!!

So a blowout loss to a no name FCS team from 2000 miles away will make that RB want to play here?, our last three football coaches getting fired and UNT gaining the reputation as a coaching graveyard will want to make a RB play here?, A empty stadium with individual talking voices being heard will make a RB want to play here? Being dead last in FBS football will make a RB want to play here?

UNT's reputation is already ruined, it cannot get any worse (maybe cutting the athletic program is worse) At this point we have a lot of cleaning up to do. RV has made it clear he is going to be a parasite and stay here.. This is basically gotten to the point that we HAVE no other options, but this...

• Upvote 1

I think that what the administration is telling us by continuing to employ RV is that the university is ok with mediocrity in the revenue sports. That is what should scare everyone. Because when the next round of realignment happens(and it will happen), conferences WILL look at our records in the revenue sports along with our attendance figures. With the continued apathy in the athletic department and administration we may very well get left in the dust in the next round.

I think the next round of realignment will be the final Power pull away from the G5s. The door will be completely shut at that point for good. Probably won't have anymore games played between us anymore, which is probably how it should be anyway.

I think the next realignment will do something kind of old school--its gonna create a lot of FBS independents again. Schools that get left out of power conferences, but will follow a BYU type situation, where leagues will play the Baylors and TCUs of the world, as "acceptable" OOC opponents.

As for us, we screwed ourselves long before the RV-led fiasco. We really could have potentially made ourselves into something bigger, even on a G5 level, like UH, UCF, USF, and others have done. But we didn't, and our location and legacy of losing really cost us...other leagues looked at DFW as territory better served by SMU and TCU than us, even when both teams sucked badly in the mid-to-late 90s and beyond. The disastrous I-aa decision that we made and allowed for 12 freaking years just killed us, losing generations of potential fans in a football-crazed state, and helping to instill in the minds of so many that we weren't serious about college athletics. Today, even after a decade of improvement in facilities and conference affiliation, as well as bigger fanbase, our w/l records just crushed any of the effects of those improvements.

Our place in the future of college football will be in a setup where almost all of the G5s and top FCS schools will create a new setup for a permanently lower division within the NCAA or it will be the top division of the NCAA because the Power Schools leave the NCAA for good, which I think is doubtful for many rea$on$ for both the NCAA and the $chool$...

I don't know what it will be like when we play UTSA or UTEP in games when that eventuality occurs. I can see it still getting a crowd at Apogee of near 20k when we are good and I can see a scenario where it looks like a game at Fouts in 1985 or 1990, where we are lucky to draw 10k because nobody cares about football at a lower level, even if its against better-known Texas and regional schools than when we in the Southland Conference. But I truly believe this will be the reality in college football within the next 10-15 years, if not sooner.

A billboard in Denton that simply states "Fire RV." Same message but instead for 1 hour it will be up for the World to see for 30 days. Also, just about half the price of flying a banner for the space. another 1k for a very cheap pasting of "Fire RV". That should be the next step. 

Every cent put forth to getting rid of this man should be carefully kept and the total to date should be given to Smastrek after every demonstration. 

Well, NOW you tell us.  I'm good for another donation to make this happen.  

• Upvote 3

Thank you 90 for getting this going and putting forth all this effort for this banner. When we finally get rid of RV, I think we should get a plaque or statue in honor of your efforts to better the state of UNT athletics..

Heck, lets rename Victory Hall to UNT90 Hall!

And thank you KingDL1 as well!

No. Maybe the "AL" Hall, since the person whom those Initials apply to donated $775 toward this cause. 

This is a fan movement (if it's a movement at all), let's concentrate on that. 

So a blowout loss to a no name FCS team from 2000 miles away will make that RB want to play here?, our last three football coaches getting fired and UNT gaining the reputation as a coaching graveyard will want to make a RB play here?, A empty stadium with individual talking voices being heard will make a RB want to play here? Being dead last in FBS football will make a RB want to play here?

UNT's reputation is already ruined, it cannot get any worse (maybe cutting the athletic program is worse) At this point we have a lot of cleaning up to do. RV has made it clear he is going to be a parasite and stay here.. This is basically gotten to the point that we HAVE no other options, but this...

What my good friend MedPilot doesn't know..since its been a year or two since he has attended an NT football game...(He attends SMU games now because they seem to appreciate his support better).....is in regards to recruits...we are now the lowest of the low in the State of Texas and Oklahoma.  What he also doesn't realize is nearly all of the recruits who were in attendance at the Portland State game left early shaking their heads in disgust.  I know because I know one of them and his parents personally.  

The response they gave me after one of the camps he attended earlier in the year wasn't much better.  The disorganization was noticed right away.  McCarney's constant trashing of the previous coach along with near involuntary boasting of his own self accomplishments came across as childish and insecure,...and his foul-mouth discussion to camp attendees in front of their parents standing nearby and in the stands came across as unprofessional considering his boss RV was right there listening to him as well.

So no...there's nothing (especially a one hour banner) will negatively impact recruiting more than any of that.  Anyone who says so is simply kidding themselves.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

GMG!!!

I would argue it shows recruits that someone, anyone actually cares about this program, because the amount of empty seats they see will show just the opposite. 

News media like pictures. This gives them one. It forces the DRC to address the banner. 

I respect your opinion, but disagree completely about recruits. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

No. Maybe the "AL" Hall, since the person whom those Initials apply to donated $775 toward this cause. 

This is a fan movement (if it's a movement at all), let's concentrate on that. 

Modesty is nice, but the people have spoken. Fulfill your destiny and lead your flock - at least until Ben is old enough to sit at the desk AND have his feet touch the floor. 

• Upvote 4

Look, a banner flying over a stadium calling for a change at the AD helm isn't affecting one recruit's decision to consider UNT, one way or the other. If it does, then he better look at FCS schools, because this kind of stuff happens everywhere. I remember being at games in Austin when planes were flying around that said "Dump DeLoss and Flush the John" back in 1997. This stuff happens at lots of places that are higher up the FBS foodchain than we are.

Whoever gets this job is going to really, really, really want a head coaching job. He is going to inherit a very below average roster that isn't geared to any kind of wide-open offense, an AD that doesn't have a clue on how to effectively run an athletic department at this level, a fanbase that has been dropped kick down so much that it probably will start off well below the levels that Dodge and McCarney enjoyed, and a recruiting hole that appears to be miles deep with Texas HS coaches, parents, and recruits as compared to every other FBS team in the region.

Its gonna take a while to build up from this dumpster fire. That's how little developed talent is here, especially on the lines, which was supposed to be McCarney's specialty. And I am still not convinced that the starting QB for 2016 is anywhere near this team right now, including Damarcus Smith. I don't see how anyone can be convinced that he can be counted on, both on and off the field, with the issues he has had with eligibility and running an offense, both here and previous stops. It really wouldn't surprise me to see Dillman get lots of praise from a new coach, either, as an option at QB. This is a team that has shown it will quit when things get tough, to a point that you get beat in a record fashion by a FCS school.

Next year, if we get Old Dominion, Charlotte, and an F_U from CUSA East, as well as playing Liberty and SMU at home and at Army, the schedule should be easier than this year, especially if we get this crazy thing called a bye week in the middle of the season at some point. But to think we will just turn this thing around to win more than 3 games next year is probably homerish. I truly believe we will go 0-12 this year, but 1-11 is possible. If we can just get back to winning 3 games next year, it would be a step in the right direction. Anything more than that would seem, to me, outrageous with the current roster and our recruiting situation.

• Upvote 2

Do recruits even know who Rick Villareal at this point in their process?

Heck, I didn't even know who he was until I graduated back in 08.

This.

Not to mention not having a head football coach because we endured the worst beating in college football history probably affects their perception of the university just a tad bit more.

Does anyone really think that a fire R.V. banner is going to succeed ? It will have just the opposite effect, as the president will just did in his heels. Does anyone think that a fire R.V. banner is going to have a positive effect on potential coaching prospects? I know you guys mean well, but from where I sit all that happen is that you will be viewed by administration in a very negative light, give the university a black eye, and hurt the one you love[great song]. In summary, be careful  what you wish for.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Does anyone really think that a fire R.V. banner is going to succeed ? It will have just the opposite effect, as the president will just did in his heels. Does anyone think that a fire R.V. banner is going to have a positive effect on potential coaching prospects? I know you guys mean well, but from where I sit all that happen is that you will be viewed by administration in a very negative light, give the university a black eye, and hurt the one you love[great song]. In summary, be careful  what you wish for.

A harmless banner flying behind a tiny little 4 seater will do so much harm, let me tell you. But a 66-7 on homecoming trouncing to a FCS is apparently acceptable to you. 

If this banner was viewed as harmless there would be no discussion, but its not. In addition, I don't recall me or anyone stating that the loss to Portland State was acceptable. It was not, and the coach who led us to a H.O.D. bowl victory just a few short years ago lost his job. I am not disputing you right of free speech to express your feelings about R.V. I just respectively disagree with the manner.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've spoke to a coach who has confirmed this to me. (He's been an assistant before for a few programs). Without me saying a word to him about my feelings on the situation he said "that Rick Villareal is kinda like a used car salesman, isn't he?" 

Kram, if you'd like my source on that statement you can PM me. He's a good friend of my father's. Draw whatever conclusion you want, but if that is the unsolicited response a college football assistant makes when I bring up the program I don't take that as a good sign. 

PM on the way!  Big difference between being called a "used car salesman" and being "despised" by a bunch of D1 HC's.  Lot's of AD's are pretty much like "used car salesmen".  They are selling a program.  And they are always going to put a positive spin on it even if the "car" has a few mechanical problems and dents.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4