Villarreal: UNT wants offensive-minded coach

Harry

If the results are McCarney/Dodge-like, then YES!   We're not 'qualified' to make the hire.  We're just a bunch of fans.  He's the professional.If the results are awesome, then he (and his committee) should be praised for the hire.  

Exactly. Such a broken defense saying things like "he got the guy we wanted and it failed, so can you blame him? People on the board were for the hire." Or, as I remember seeing fly post after Peterson was fired, something along the lines of "this had never happened to him at any other school."

RV's job is to hire coaches who are good fits and win at UNT. Not the candidates the masses approve of, not someone who won games somewhere else before, or someone who wins games at another school afterward. And he's been awful at that.

• Upvote 3

Having been around a while, I can tell you with certainty a few things about whomever we hire. First, a group will hate him simply because someone - anyone - involved with UNT agreed to the hire. They will point to the history of bad hires and mistakes going back to Theron Fouts. Second, a group will think he's the greatest coach in history. Third, whomever it is likely is somewhere between to two extremes. 

I am convinced hiring head football coaches involves a significant portion of luck. One of the best modern ADs was DeLoss Dodds at UT. Look at their department when he started and when he retired and show me someone who build anything better. Now look at his record of football coaches. Even the guy who won a National Championship had to be fired. Coaches can be successful in one place and failures in the next. Look at Mike Leach - do you really think he forgot how to be a coach between Tech and Washington State? In our own history, Hayden Fry was 49-66-1 before he got here. Jerry Moore was 27-48-2 before he went to Appy State where he went 215-87. Did these guys suddenly learn or forget how to coach is there an significant element of luck involved. 

Well said.

• Upvote 1

It sounds to me like he's looking for the same kind of coach that most people on this board are looking for.  If RV hires a coach right along the lines of what you wanted, is it a disaster just because RV made the hire?

I appreciate the responses, but I think some of you misunderstood what I was asking.  Some are (understandably) under the assumption that RV will make a terrible hire.  But if it is announced that he hires a coach right along the lines of what you are looking for, do you immediately (not after the results are in) pronounce the hire disastrous for the simple reason that RV made the hire?

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the responses, but I think some of you misunderstood what I was asking.  Some are (understandably) under the assumption that RV will make a terrible hire.  But if it is announced that he hires a coach right along the lines of what you are looking for, do you immediately (not after the results are in) pronounce the hire disastrous for the simple reason that RV made the hire?

I personally don't I think you have to see how it turns out, I'm just against RV making that decision or being anywhere near it.

I think everyone will have an immediate opinion.  If it aint the guy I wanted... (and it's not some kind of coup, like Saban decides he wants a "challenge") then RV blew it!

• Upvote 1

I think most fans who want RV fired would not hate a coach we liked just because RV picked him.

But personally, it would make me wonder whether I was wrong to like that coach.

I am ready to bail on UNT athletics if RV is not fired. The normal enthusiasm associated with hiring a new coach isn't going to be enough for me this time.

• Upvote 4

it would make me wonder whether I was wrong to like that coach.

This

If RV hires someone in line with who I think we should hire and seems to be a good fit then I will let the results speak for themselves good or bad. I will not immediately pronounce it disastrous. I think that should be the norm. However, I am skeptical that RV will make the right kind of hire. That said, for posterity, Here is who I think we should hire.

1A. An offensive coordinator form a productive offense that has experience in that role that also has ties to Texas and is a strong recruiter.

or

1B. A head coach from an  FCS/D2 winning program that also has ties to Texas and is a strong recruiter.

• Upvote 1

It's also important to remember, regardless of who the new HC is, or the AD who hires him, that guy is getting UNT at our worst and will have an uphill climb to get this thing back on track, kinda like what SMU is experiencing.  So, unless things go even further south (which, I'm not sure is possible) he'll need some slack for a year or 2.

• Upvote 1

It's also important to remember, regardless of who the new HC is, or the AD who hires him, that guy is getting UNT at our worst and will have an uphill climb to get this thing back on track, kinda like what SMU is experiencing.  So, unless things go even further south (which, I'm not sure is possible) he'll need some slack for a year or 2.

I do believe we have more talent than SMU had last year. If Smith gets better our offense should be light years ahead with the right offensive coach. Can this new HC hire a good staff? That will be a big issue as to how far we can climb next year.

• Upvote 2

I do believe we have more talent than SMU had last year. If Smith gets better our offense should be light years ahead with the right offensive coach. Can this new HC hire a good staff? That will be a big issue as to how far we can climb next year.

Of course!   You're a UNT fan.   But all of the recruiting rankings over the past few seasons seem to be in agreement that we're on their level.

And be careful putting too many expectations on Smith.  We still haven't seen enough of him...  Several of his completions & 2 of his TDs were against WKU's 2s & 3s.

Of course!   You're a UNT fan.   But all of the recruiting rankings over the past few seasons seem to be in agreement that we're on their level.

And be careful putting too many expectations on Smith.  We still haven't seen enough of him...  Several of his completions & 2 of his TDs were against WKU's 2s & 3s.

I do believe we have more offensive weapons then they had. If we hire a good offensive coach he should be able to add to those weapons.

Im not putting a lot on Smith, but if he continues to get better he only makes this job more attractive. It will allow for the next HC to take the time to pick his next QB. Smith would be that one year stop gap

• Upvote 2

"Villarreal indicated he and the members of UNT’s hiring committee would meet within the next few days to formulate a plan as to how the group with move forward with its search."

So this confirms there is in fact a hiring committee?

So you fired Mac 10 days ago, and you will meet in the NEXT FEW DAYS to FORMULATE A PLAN?

Gee, let's not get on the f'n ball here!!!!

• Upvote 1

You still want to have a plan and have a list of candidates to contact and interview.  The way I read it, he is taking his sweet ass time.

Another reason for him to kiss his sweet ass goodbye!

I think everyone will have an immediate response - that is normal.  But history is working against RV here.  We have already given him three bats and he has broken each one over our heads.  Do we want to give him #4?

• Upvote 1

Must be between 38 and 45. Must have be or has been a successful as a head coach on the college level, any level. ( Freeze before ASU) must be or has been an offensive co. at a big time school. Will attract QBs! Recruiter 

Again, Frank Wilson from LSU or Major Applewhite is who you're looking for. 

Wilson:

He's 41( not 39 as previously mentioned) years of age, he was the HC that lead a 4A state high school championship at the age of 29.  He's the recruiting coordinator ( won a couple of awards for being the best recruiter, nationally) at LSU/ Assoc. Head Coach.

Applewhite:

He'll be 38 in July, 10 years of OC at Rice/ Texas/ Houston/ Alabama. Recruiter of the year for the BIG 12, QB coach.   

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Again, Frank Wilson from LSU or Major Applewhite is who you're looking for. 

Wilson:

He's 39 years of age, he was the HC that lead a 4A state high school championship at the age of 29.  He's the recruiting coordinator ( won a couple of awards for being the best recruiter, nationally) at LSU/ Assoc. Head Coach.

Applewhite:

He'll be 38 in July, 10 years of OC at Rice/ Texas/ Houston/ Alabama. Recruiter of the year for the BIG 12, QB coach.   

I think the 40 threshold is fairly important... If you look at the SMU, Houston and Tulsa hires they were all 40+.  You are talking about the highest paid person in the entire UNT system... probably in history.  But I agree with you that both of these are close and have a ton of upside.  Wilson is a stud recruiter but hails from New Orleans.  I would give the edge to Applewhite in terms of being known in Texas, his knowledge of offense and he has folk hero status in the state.

Folks don't get excited, I copied from Vito's article two key paragraphs see below:

UNT president Neal Smatresk has asked Villarreal to gather information on the parameters of what the school is looking for in a new coach. Smatresk is expected to be involved in the hiring process.

The school is expected to form a committee of athletic department officials, boosters and former players to help with the process of hiring a new coach.

The key information in the article for me is that President Smatresk understands the implications of hiring the next HC. He understands in financial terms that many fans are ready to pull support because of the state of key sports in athletics at UNT.  From a management standpoint he wants to know from RV what are RV's hiring parameters.  This does not mean that President Smatresk will accept them as is, but could change them.  Also, do not know who is on the committee or what their instructions or guidance will be, nor who will make the decisions concerning their input to the hiring of the HC. 

At this point in time my only concern is that whomever is hired will be able to turn the program around and get his staff in place.  Then next year would like to see a winning record provided we do not have a lot of body bag games on schedule.

I think the 40 threshold is fairly important... If you look at the SMU, Houston and Tulsa hires they were all 40+.  You are talking about the highest paid person in the entire UNT system... probably in history.  But I agree with you that both of these are close and have a ton of upside.  Wilson is a stud recruiter but hails from New Orleans.  I would give the edge to Applewhite in terms of being known in Texas, his knowledge of offense and he has folk hero status in the state.

Edit: Wilson is 41, not 39