MGB: Villarreal -- "We have things we need to finish here"

Brett Vito

I'm older than you think.  I may understand computers, but I have been on them a long time.   I wrote BASIC on the TRS computers with an astounding 2k of RAM in the mid 80s.  I know several programming languages that are deader than Aramaic.  

I think you were born in 1976.  Awesome to hear about multiple mean greeners in your family, for me it is 5.  My mother has two, My wife has two, My wifes brother has two, and my sister in law has two.  I have.......one, and probably am damn lucky to actually receive it.

How did he give them the finger?  By stating the obvious?  By saying that until somebody tells him different, he is the A.D. here, and he is not retiring, and he has some things left to accomplish.  He is not giving anybody the finger.  You guys have so much hate in your heart it is ridiculous.  He can't not answer the question.

Again, can't wait for the article.  This was not an article, it was not in the paper, it was a post in a beat writers blog teasing an article.

I think Vito just peed himself for the fourth time today, while drinking milk and eating cookies at his laptop trying to write the actual article, while his computer keeps going ding, ding, ding because of the multiple replies to his original post.

With all of this response, I guarantee he is going to write something slanted and make it look like RV is giving everyone the finger.  Should be grand.

I haven't an ounce of hate. I was pro RV/Mack until this disastrous year. I just don't see how you can support a guy who hired Shanice Stephens, Mike Peterson, & Todd Dodge. 3 of the worst coaches at the collegiate level. When you under perform you deserve to be fired. RV deserves to be fired. Now the school has to deal with $2 million dollar buyout on another failed coaching hire. Again, RV deserves to be fired. I don't hate the guy one bit and aporeciate what he's done with facilities. However, in the end it's all about W's & L's in the "revenue" sports if you want to get to that next level.  RV has proven he can't succeed in that aspect. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 5

This scares me very much.  Will you be in costume? Will I see it coming?  

I should have Sid as a "guest" tailgate chef sometime, if the only motive is to get the daughter out there...........

nah...i just want your beer and to shoot the shit...im harmless

For whatever reason, the big donors like RV and that doesn't seem like it will change. They don't see an AD who can't find a winning coach, they see one who tries as hard as he can and luck just hasn't favored him in the coaching search. What RV does have control over (facilities, operations, etc) is going great. Can't fault the guy for coming up snake eyes, and at least we have great women's soccer. It's the kind of slack we give our best friend, when everyone on the outside just shakes their head. 

The only way we're going to win in any of the major sports in the next decade or longer is pure, unadulterated luck. RV is about to spin the roulette wheel again. Either hang on or leave the table.

(I personally don't think finding a good coach is luck, but luck is our only hope with RV at the wheel.)

• Upvote 3

Hope the 17 enjoy their empty stadium Apogee private sports bar.  Because if he hires another coach that turns into a failure that is what they will have.  They will be longing for the days on 15k at Fouts Field.  Maybe CUSA will eventually step in and put some pressure on them.   North Texas is suppose to get them a few 1000 local DFW viewers, good luck with that with Rice or UTEP kicking our ass in an empty Apogee stadium on a Thursday or Saturday evening.

The interview reminds me of vintage Jerry Jones talking about his GM skills in the late 1990s.

7 Questions:

1. Who is the 'we' in RV's statement of "we still have things to finish here"?

2. Does not an employee work for the interests of the university instead of personal interests? 

3. In terms of 'finish' does that imply the further destruction of the major sports programs at NT? 

4. In terms of 'finish' does it mean to add more athletic programs to poorly managed athletic oversight that seems to have reached its lid/potential? 

5. Does RV have hubris because he thinks that he created something at NT? Did he not destroy just as much, if not more? 

6. How does RV know that there is a minority that support his dismissal? Did he survey the silent majority? 

7. Does RV not have the humility to approach his job with a modicum of respect to the direction the President chooses to take this university in? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

kE2XVBn.jpg

I've made an addition to the spreadsheet, the growth between 2002 and 2004. You can see that between those two dates we added 864 MGC members, and 4,285 season ticket holders.

Now, of course we need some context for this growth. The latest alumni numbers I have seen from the University state 300,000 alumni, with 225,000 of them living in the area. Of course most of those people became alumni long before the current AD was here.

Enrollment has grown from ~29,000 in 2002 to ~36,000 in 2014. Everyone of those students pays the Athletics Fee, but it's not by choice.

I think recent grads are the best metric to compare MGC growth. Unfortunately I don't have official numbers for the number of alumni who graduated between 2002 and 2014, but I do have numbers for 2008-2013¹. In those five the University awarded 41,102 degrees, an average of 8,220.4 degrees a year. Lets round that off to 8000 to be conservative (even though we know it's too low). I know 2014 degrees are "over 8000" but I don't have an official final number. So I think 8000 is an overly fair number per year for the last six years,

This still leaves us with no data official data for the first six years. We know enrollment grew about 24% over those years, so we could take that percentage off the average degrees awarded number, but I am going to be extremely conservative and say that we take off a full 50%. So lets assume for the first six years we awarded 4000 degrees per year.

That would leave us with an estimate of 72,000* degrees awarded 2002-2014. Again, I think that is a very low ball number, but I wanted to be conservative since we only have date for half the range.

We stated off with 211 MGC members in 2002. Some of those members stopped giving, some of them went to that great big stadium club in the sky. New members joined and by 2014 the MGC totaled 1075.

In the period of 2002-2014 the MGC grew by 864 members, while the university added (conservatively) ~72,000 new alumni.

If anyone has better data sources, or sees any flaw in my numbers or logic, please advise.

¹UNT Publication: Institutional Research and Effectiveness 2013-2014 Fact Book
*((8000x6)+(4000x6))

Bumping.

I have not read a defense of RV regarding the MGC numbers.

• Upvote 1

http://e.gofund.me/qd6qjzk8

Welcome to the chaos.   I am sure all 7 questions will be answered in the actual article tomorrow. 

By now I hope vito has resorted to a diaper, because he has been peeing all over himself in excitement all day.

"I get free barbeque, and they care about what I say!"

I don't understand the hatred toward Vito. That blog entry actually painted RV in a moderately good light. Are you mad at him for asking what is on EVERYONE'S mind?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Winning is important.  But in this day and age it's not as important as facilities.  Our next coach will be stronger than the last, and that is partially due to the fact that facilities are in place and he will have a competitive salary.  This wouldn't have happened prior to RV.

Our facilities sucks in comparison to a majority of the schools.. We might be top half in the G5 and bottom 90% with the P5 schools. 

7 Questions:

1. Who is the 'we' in RV's statement of "we still have things to finish here"?

2. Does not an employee work for the interests of the university instead of personal interests? 

3. In terms of 'finish' does that imply the further destruction of the major sports programs at NT? 

4. In terms of 'finish' does it mean to add more athletic programs to poorly managed athletic oversight that seems to have reached its lid/potential? 

5. Does RV have hubris because he thinks that he created something at NT? Did he not destroy just as much, if not more? 

6. How does RV know that there is a minority that support his dismissal? Did he survey the silent majority? 

7. Does RV not have the humility to approach his job with a modicum of respect to the direction the President chooses to take this university in? 

Pretty sure he means he has to finish the baseball program. 

• Upvote 2

I read this entire thread and the only conclusion I've made is I'm not attending anymore football games and it sucks. It's pointless to get upset about this team. UNT football is a disaster, regardless of who thinks they know what or what side of the fence you're on about this AD our team is garbage. Recruiting will be really tough moving forward so it will get worse before it gets better. If it every gets consistently better. There is absolutely no leadership at UNT and I'm not wasting another Saturday for this nonsense. 

• Upvote 4

I read this entire thread and the only conclusion I've made is I'm not attending anymore football games and it sucks. It's pointless to get upset about this team. UNT football is a disaster, regardless of who thinks they know what or what side of the fence you're on about this AD our team is garbage. Recruiting will be really tough moving forward so it will get worse before it gets better. If it every gets consistently better. There is absolutely no leadership at UNT and I'm not wasting another Saturday for this nonsense. 

Curious, what did you players think of Helwig?