MGB: Villarreal -- "We have things we need to finish here"

Brett Vito

How does "I am not retiring" "We have work left to do" demonstrate this?

Not a troll, not a troll.  VITO article, UNT90; "RV SUCKS"

By saying "a minority" want him gone when there is evidence that it is a huge majority. By indicating HE gets to decide when he leaves. By addressing buildings and new programs and not addressing his failure to consistently win in any major sport.

He either cares only about himself or he is delusional (and with all of the lies he has told this fan base, a case can be made that this is accurate). Neither make for an effective leader. 

so basically, we are all trolls, because some of the things that I say causes discourse and controversy with some of you, and some of the things you say causes discourse and controversy for me.  So by definition, we are all trolls, with the biggest troll being KRAM, the defending Ulys Knight spirit award champion.

authors opinion, UNT90 is not a troll, because he can only mutter one premise and one only, "ALL THINGS RV SUCK".  A true troll agitates on any given topic, with the ability to make a counterpoint to any argument.

Tony Benford, UNT90 "RV SUCKS"  etc..,...

Opinions actually not welcome on GMG.Com.  Only option is to scream "everything at UNT sucks and I won't support my school any longer until what I want to happen happens".  Other opinions need not apply.  You just now figuring that out?  Really no need for anyone with a differing opinion to post these days.  It is no longer a fan board open to all opinions. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

I absolutely believe you on this Fly.  The large donors would have to be insane to put the large amount of money that they do into the program if they didn't expect wins.

However I think a lot of us small frys, who don't have this...

...and who don't have a lot of face to face time with the AD have a different reading on the program.  Very likely, it is because we don't have access and we don't have that face to face time that we haven't developed a personal attachment to someone.  It's only natural for those personal bonds to form.  

However if you didn't know the AD at all, and you saw MGC growth that looked like this...

zIh8eyt.jpg

...and you saw ticket sales continue to stagnate, even shrink after the bowl season, and you saw the win-lose record for AD hires that Tasty and others have documented... wouldn't you start to wonder if there wasn't someone else who could do a better job?

That is the viewpoint of most of the fans on here, who I think almost to a man (or woman) fall into the long term diehard category.

Come on now.  Fly is being incredibly open and civil, no need to get snippy.

What he said, I don't do charts...

If you would like to know, I have no idea what the circumstances were behind How Mack was fired.  I was hooking up my tailgate trailer in the blue lot and got a text from my wife that said "It's done, Mac is fired".

Secondly, every year my wife and I write down record predictions before the season starts.  This year I wrote 3-9, because we had failed in my mind to get a quarterback on campus that was a difference maker, and we had a new defensive coordinator.  I wanted in my heart to be wrong.  I wanted so badly for us to go in to Dallas and beat SMU.

Stupid is a strong word, and I am truly sorry if I have ever called you that, and if I did, it was in fun, because all of you guys are part of a big dysfunctional family of mine by default.  We all went to the same university.  We all call ourselves alumnus of the University of North Texas.  My wife and I are sick and tired of sitting in a room and hearing the question "Where did you go to school?" and seeing the looks on faces that we all get.  Why? because we suck in athletics.  Those people don't know a damned thing about any of our academic programs, just that we don't play good football. 

So 13 years ago, we set out to change that perception.  We had just been to our second New Orleans Bowl, and we were starting to make some money, so lets help build an athletic center.  That first pledge grew into many more things.  Our love for the University, our University, and when I say ours I mean everybody, has never changed.  

So lets get something straight.  I don't think I am better than any one of you.  I haven't supported this University so that I can get "inside" access.  "Inside" access does come with support, I will admit that.  When Dan McCarney was hired, I found out who the candidate was the same day you did.  When Dan McCarney was fired, I was shocked that it happened so quickly, and saddened that football had fallen so far so fast, it almost seems impossible.

This notion of "17" has gotten out of hand, and I know I am to blame.  It was a reference in the beginning to the fact that in order to own a suite, you have to donate $15,000.00 minimum annually to the mean green club.  There are 15 of those people, and a couple of corporations.  Those names can be found in a game day program, pretty much if you are at the $15,000.00 level, then you have a suite.  There are a few exceptions because a couple of suites are split between two families.  It went to 17 because McNatt and Bruzzy were going to be announced at halftime of homecoming.  (Ryan is a suiteholder already)

I know this isn't going to help, but please lay off of the other suite holders.  I have no idea how they feel about any of this, save 3 or 4 that I socialize with.

I can tell you this.  Your large donors are not the enemy.  They want exactly what you want.  WINS, WINS, WINS

I'm out of +1s at the moment, but this post deserves more than it's gotten so far. 

How does "I am not retiring" "We have work left to do" demonstrate this?

Not a troll, not a troll.  VITO article, UNT90; "RV SUCKS

Mr. flyonthewall. I don't know who you are, but I appreciate your donations to the athletics of our great University and your continued support as well as the other large donors. I think what he is getting at is that RV is seen as arrogant because he refuses to step down despite continuous losing over the past 15 years. In my opinion Rick Villarreal has done an admiral job in creating the wonderful facilities we have, but if what you say is true, surely yourself and the other donors have to realize that all we have done is LOSE, LOSE, LOSE. Facilities are great, but I don't understand the logic behind supporting a man who has continually failed at doing the one thing he should be focused on, and that's to WIN, WIN, WIN. 

As a recent Alumnus, I implore you to gather your resources along with the other large donors and seriously consider what it is you're donating to. Because for the past 15 years, it has been to everything but the tradition of winning. Nobody cared how big Boise State's stadium was, they only cared when they won, and when they won big. We can be Boise State and more. It will only happen when we WIN, WIN, WIN.

I seriously hope you reconsider your allegiance. Is it to the University? Or is it to a man who cannot successfully do his job?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

However if you didn't know the AD at all, and you saw MGC growth that looked like this...

zIh8eyt.jpg

...and you saw ticket sales continue to stagnate, even shrink after the bowl season, and you saw the win-lose record for AD hires that Tasty and others have documented... wouldn't you start to wonder if there wasn't someone else who could do a better job?

And what if the blue bar for 2016 is going to look like something between 2010 and 2011?

Opinions actually not welcome on GMG.Com.  Only option is to scream "everything at UNT sucks and I won't support my school any longer until what I want to happen happens".  Other opinions need not apply.  You just now figuring that out?  Really no need for anyone with a differing opinion to post these days.  It is no longer a fan board open to all opinions. 

If that is true why are you, Fly and other pro AD people allowed to post without any restriction at all?   Your opinion being outnumbered isn't anywhere near the same as the sort of censorship you are trying to imply.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

At this point, We all need to face reality.  Look reality right in the eye and make a decision, then decide if we are going to support, or just move on like some have threatened to do.  

We are going to hire a new football coach.  That is a fact.  Regardless of the circumstance, we need this Coach to be a good one.  I for one will be travelling to the Middle Tennessee game, the La Tech game, and will be tailgating in the same damn spot I have been in for the last 5 years for both of the last two home games, come hell of high water.

I will embrace and support this new coach no matter what the circumstance.

Can't wait to see the "big article" tomorrow from Brett "Big Game" Vito, because you all realize that the little blog thing was a tease, and he has changed his underpants twice today because of the mileage that this thing has gotten.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

At this point, We all need to face reality.  Look reality right in the eye and make a decision, then decide if we are going to support, or just move on like some have threatened to do.  

We are going to hire a new football coach.  That is a fact.  Regardless of the circumstance, we need this Coach to be a good one.  I for one will be travelling to the Middle Tennessee game, the La Tech game, and will be tailgating in the same damn spot I have been in for the last 5 years for both of the last two home games, come hell of high water.

I will embrace and support this new coach no matter what the circumstance.

Can't wait to see the "big article" tomorrow from Brett "Big Game" Vito, because you all realize that the little blog thing was a tease, and he has changed his underpants twice today because of the mileage that this thing has gotten.

halloween game, have beer, im coming by...only time i met ya was at bagheris...

If that is true why are you, Fly and other pro AD people allowed to post without any restriction at all?   Your opinion being outnumbered isn't anywhere near the same as the sort of censorship you are trying to imply.

Has zero to do with "allowed to". Has everything to do with respect for differing opinions. The fact that you even think people with different opinions need to be"allowed" to post speaks volumes and pretty much allows me to rest my case.

• Downvote 6

Well then the trendline updates, but we don't have those numbers yet.  

I expect we will all get a full-court press from the department to get those renewals in. Wouldn't it be ironic if 2014 was the apogee?

Don't get butt hurt because your opinion isn't the prevailing opinion anymore. I've taken a lot of flack for some of my opinions, but it comes with the territory. 

Put your big boy pants on. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Has zero to do with "allowed to". Has everything to do with respect for differing opinions. The fact that you even think people with different opinions need to be"allowed" to post speaks volumes and pretty much allows me to rest my case.

Everyone is "allowed to".  Harry pays for this board and he can allow or not allow any post he wants.  Pro or Anti AD every single post is allowed to stand because it is his.  If he wants to lock the Fire RV banner threads he can, it is his board.   Go start your own board if you can't follow his rules.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think that's what he meant by "allowed to", I think he was just indicating that no one was censoring those who are Pro-AD - as they shouldn't.

• Upvote 1

Don't get butt hurt because your opinion isn't the prevailing opinion anymore. I've taken a lot of flack for some of my opinions, but it comes with the territory. 

Put your big boy pants on. 

Oh, they are on.  Thanks for your concern.  They have to be...I have been in the stands and seats for over fifty years supporting UNT.  THAT, Sir, takes lots of big boy pants.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

You know what I want to see?  I want to see growth and retention bonuses for the athletic department staff in charge of selling mean green club memberships.  I was somewhat surprised when I learned how much they make, but not really since you kinda get what you pay for.  So let them in on some commissions.  I'm not talking a $500 token at Christmas time.  I'm talking put a plan in place that lets them get five-figure bonuses.  Something that actually means something to them.  

• Upvote 1

Mr. flyonthewall. I don't know who you are, but I appreciate your donations to the athletics of our great University and your continued support as well as the other large donors. I think what he is getting at is that RV is seen as arrogant because he refuses to step down despite continuous losing over the past 15 years. In my opinion Rick Villarreal has done an admiral job in creating the wonderful facilities we have, but if what you say is true, surely yourself and the other donors have to realize that all we have done is LOSE, LOSE, LOSE. Facilities are great, but I don't understand the logic behind supporting a man who has continually failed at doing the one thing he should be focused on, and that's to WIN, WIN, WIN. 

As a recent Alumnus, I implore you to gather your resources along with the other large donors and seriously consider what it is you're donating to. Because for the past 15 years, it has been to everything but the tradition of winning. Nobody cared how big Boise State's stadium was, they only cared when they won, and when they won big. We can be Boise State and more. It will only happen when we WIN, WIN, WIN.

I seriously hope you reconsider your allegiance. Is it to the University? Or is it to a man who cannot successfully do his job?

If I were in RV's shoe I think I'd say, "Look at this athletic center, this new football stadium, this conference affiliation, these new soccer and softball fields, yet I can't get anyone to come here to coach winning football." You can do all the research and interviewing you can but until a guy actually takes the reigns, you have no idea if he will sink or swim. There is no such thing as a foolproof hire. RichRod and Hoke were supposed to be rockstars at UM and both failed, even at Michigan with all of their resources.

I'm in the minority but I think RV deserves to stay because of the good he's done since I've been following the program. I also want to dispel the myth that only the "17" that keep flying around here want to keep RV. I haven't had season tickets since 2008 and have never been a donor. I'm just a fan that watches from 250 miles away and drives up for one game a year when I can. I missed the '01-'04 bowl years maturing but I was at NT for the '99-'00 and '05-'06 Dickey years. Despite the record, I know it was easier to be a fan in the Dodge years than '05-'06 Dickey. I've seen progress in the time I've been following even if the records don't support it. We were on the way up and now that the mistakes of the past two seasons have been corrected, we will continue our rise. Whoever replaces McCarney, whether that person is picked by RV, if that person is Canales, or if they let a poll here on GMG pick the head coach, we will be better next year and better still the year after.

We are on the rise. Two things killed us over the past 2 seasons, Skladany leaving, and coach Mac using his personal relationships to choose a DC and starting qb despite there being better options available. He tempered the OC's offense to protect his chosen qb and it has harmed the school more than anyone could've known. With Canales and Smith at the helm, we will finish this season much better off than when we started it. The permanent head coach will only build on that. We will be bowling again in 3yrs at the latest. Have faith, it isn't as bad as Mac made it look.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1