MGB: Villarreal -- "We have things we need to finish here"

Brett Vito

Three acquaintances of mine now work for CUSA, Arkansas and Bama. Maybe realize the idiocy of your statement. The only people who think this AD is a "laughing stock" are the people who think the world revolves around UNT. I probably could've gone anywhere had I stayed in college athletics.

Nobody cares where your friends work. I mean, do your friends want a participation medal?. BTW the people on this board are fans(read fanatics) of UNT and DO think the world revolves around UNT in the sports wold. That is why we post here.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Wrong. Winning is the #1 priority. Facilities are great, but no one shows up to watch a loser. That's why you saw a mostly empty Apogee stadium on Thursday. Beautiful facilities with no one there to watch the awful product on the field.

I think most fans would agree we'd rather be ranked #20 in the country playing at CH Collins (or whatever other high school stadium is available) than ranked #128 (out of 128, in case you didn't know) at Apogee.

Also, facilities were in place when McCarney was hired, so what's the excuse there?

Collins is nicer than Fouts. We'd have to be ranked 20th playing at Fouts for a true comparison. I looked at attendance numbers going back to 2001 and the only years winning brought us a substantial bump were 2003 and 2013.    2001, 2002, and 2004 averaged 3,500 fewer attendees than 2003.   Fouts was a dump, I'd almost be willing to take #128 in Apogee over #20 in Fouts.....almost.

This year we are on pace to average 16,519, this will be the worst average attendance since 2006. Read that, worse than any single Dodge year. Dodge's worst year was 2008, you all remember it, worst team in the history of Mean Green football....until this season. In 2008, attendance averaged 16,956, or about 450 more than we are averaging so far. This year's average will surely fall, but how far? If we average less than 12,144 for the final two home games, and we very well could, this season would have the worst average attendance since the Big West days. I put the blame squarely on McCarney for putting personal relationships above the team and like Dickey's black uniforms, I will never forgive Mac for his nepotism (both in hiring our current DC and recruiting and naming as starter, our former starting qb).

• Upvote 1

Funny, I thought he had a boss that determined whether he stays or goes, guess not.

And 151-11 isn't a "minority," Rick. Your math skills are as bad as your coaching hires, football scheduling, ticket office management, and marketing skills. 

The problem is Rick considers those of us on GoMeanGreen to be the "minority." He has plenty he chooses to surround himself with who give him support and affirm his decisions. He deflects criticism on here as disgruntled fans who don't know anything anyways; just like restaurants who receive bad reviews saying "well, those who like the food don't write reviews anyways." 

• Upvote 3

Why is Brett Vito asking Rick Villarreal if he plans to retire? An AD job is not a lifetime sinecure. It is performance based just like a head coaching job, and if the AD does not produce there comes a day when that executive should be fired. We've reached that day.

Instead of asking Villarreal the absurd question of whether he's going to fire himself, Vito and every other Mean Green beat writer should be asking President Smatresk if he's going to fire Villarreal.

When I hear Villarreal dismiss the complaints as coming from a "minority," it tells me he's completely out of touch with this fan base and alumni. One more reason to show him the door.

What if Smatresk doesn't care enough to fire him? Or what if the BOR won't let him because they know he will run the athletic department the way they demand it to be run? Or maybe they want to do this but the buyout for Petersen in the spring and Mac here in the fall, as well as the upcoming buyout of Bumford is too much in their eyes to also can RV. Or the UNT17 has made it clear that if RV goes, so goes a lot of their money, which probably keeps the AD running anyway, above the student fee.

At any rate, let this be a lesson to the smaller donors here--we have been effectively told to either follow along or go away by the AD, BOR, and the UNT17. They don't care if you show up anymore or not, nor if you donate or not. The Super Pit has shown that in the previous three years and Apogee started showing it bigtime last Thursday and it will be even worse by the time we host UTSA and then UTEP--this place will look like a ghost town by the Saturday after Turkey Day. They don't care about having butts-in-seats, donations, or winning--they care about being in charge...

I truly feel as if 25 years of sports fandom has been flushed down a toilet into a sewer...and it looks as if there will be no going back after this fall. But at some point, you have draw a line somewhere. UNT will always be my alma mater and I will always cherish the memories from all of my time as a student and as a fan. But its not fun anymore--maybe its because I'm older and have three little kids to run after, but its just not enjoyable enough to justify the time and expense anymore. Its one thing for fans to want to win more than your school does; its a whole other thing, though, when the school doesn't even want to win--they just want to offer the teams like a public high school would. But I can't do it anymore if RV is still in charge of the entire athletic department--I have no more faith in him as an AD or as a judge of coaching hires for sports that bring in revenue.

• Upvote 2

At any rate, let this be a lesson to the smaller donors here--we have been effectively told to either follow along or go away by the AD, BOR, and the UNT17. They don't care if you show up anymore or not, nor if you donate or not. The Super Pit has shown that in the previous three years and Apogee started showing it bigtime last Thursday and it will be even worse by the time we host UTSA and then UTEP--this place will look like a ghost town by the Saturday after Turkey Day. They don't care about having butts-in-seats, donations, or winning--they care about being in charge...

Absolutely agree. The customer service that the little guy gets from the ticket office and MGC is evidence of this. We are only but a nuisance to RV's athletic department.

Whenever the right thing happens and the idiot RV is out, the new guy is going to have to do a lot of hard work to try to build back up the goodwill within the fan base. 

• Upvote 3

Fans and analysts. Don't see any people in "college athletics". Hmmm.

Football Scoop is started as a job board for coaches, it is primarily still used by coaches.  Coaches in college.  Coaches who teach football in college.  Most people consider football to be part of athletics, but I guess you don't, since you consider the scores to be meaningless.  More of a participation trophy type event to you?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

That doesn't make UNT a laughing stock in the world of college athletics. Maybe amongst the fans, not among the world of college athletics to the point of you not being able to get a job. That's just asinine narcissism. They're well respected there. But you're probably one of the few who don't accept that Mac is incredibly well regarded in the CFB coaching and administration level as well. If you don't know what you're talking about, it's pretty simple. Don't talk on it.

And, no, I post here because I know UNT is more irrelevant than Idaho in the CFB world. And I want that to change. UNT doesn't matter in athletics right now, and it's a war to change that. Living in delusion doesn't help things on that front.

I don't care how well regarded Mac is with his peers and nobody else should either. That does not matter AT ALL. He is a bad recruiter and has a losing record at UNT and overall as a head coach. I care if he wins football games. I care if he wins conference championships. I care if he gets us into the top 25. Do you even read your posts before you hit submit? 

Edited by Eagle-96

Fans and analysts. Don't see any people in "college athletics". Hmmm.

Come on, man...your just arguing to argue now. Its Ok to admit that we are the laughstock, dumpster-fire of FBS. You cannot lose 66-7 to an FCS school on your homecoming and not get looked at this way. And I guaran-damn-tee you that college athletic department workers all around are laughing at us, too..

• Upvote 3

you said nobody would hire anyone from UNT athletics. I proved you wrong.

When did I say that? I said that you should probably leave UNT off of your resume if you want to obtain gainful employment in the industry. Funny how making crap up to fit your agenda works.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Fans and analysts. Don't see any people in "college athletics". Hmmm. None of them suggest that you would never be able to get a job again if you went there. Selective reading, as always. Why don't you threaten me with some more "CK filtering" since you can't actually discuss points without GIFs and out of context quotes.

I literally already said we are more irrelevant than Idaho. How about you and your cronies learn to read?

My suburban cronies read the above post and realized that you were arguing that you felt that the "people in 'college athletics'" weren't also thinking like the entirety of the fans and analysts out there that we are the absolute laughingstock of college football. And then you got it drop-kicked into you that, yeah, you were dead-ass wrong about that--I doubt you recognized it, though, as you furiously typed out your next response...

One day you'll get it...or maybe you won't. I wouldn't exactly peg recognition as your strong suit, but you can argue like a MF'er, so I'll give you that much...

• Downvote 1

Fire ___ ? - CHECK

Complaint about Vito? - CHECK

Never-ending slap fight over something completely secondary to the topic, that probably ought to be handled over private message? - CHECK

Someone defending RV because of facilities and ignoring 14 years of failed hired - CHECK

If someone would just chime in and say we don't have any business criticizing a coach/AD/peanut vendor if we have no experience in the job... I could punch my bingo card and cash out for a prize. 

Fire ___ ? - CHECK

Complaint about Vito? - CHECK

Never-ending slap fight over something completely secondary to the topic, that probably ought to be handled over private message? - CHECK

Someone defending RV because of facilities and ignoring 14 years of failed hired - CHECK

If someone would just chime in and say we don't have any business criticizing a coach/AD/peanut vendor if we have no experience in the job... I could punch my bingo card and cash out for a prize. 

TTG, you know nothing about coaching basketball like Benford does...you've never coached a day in your life before...

Can you buy me a WhichWich with your winnings?

• Upvote 1

No, Texas State is in our spot from a decade ago. Except they have a much nicer stadium and a better offense than we had a decade ago.

Who cares about Texas State. We are currently winless in an average league, with one of the nicest stadiums in the G5 region.

How is that any different? Seriously? Are you this dense? 

Congratulations, three of your friends still work in the industry after being associated with the $hit sandwich that is UNT athletics. We will erect a statue to them in just about any section of Apogee since it will be near empty for the foreseeable future under this regime and will not cause an obstructed view. There is a reason that 95% of your posts have negative points on them. It is because most people that post here disagree with your viewpoints on a wide wide range of topics. Like say this one we are posting on right now. This will be the last response to you on this topic as it seems that you cannot grasp how mismanaged this athletic department is and the other posters on this board are probably tired of this back and forth.

If not, you're welcome to play with RV's new LEGOs. 

Oh, you mean those that the BOR thinks are valid resemblances of future facility greatness under his watchful eyes? I believe you can see an actual Jimmy John's lego'd into the future Rick Villarael Athletic Department...there is a rumor that he will even hire Benford to manage it, since he has great experience as a recruiter.