MGB: Villarreal -- "We have things we need to finish here"

Brett Vito

Everyone is "allowed to".  Harry pays for this board and he can allow or not allow any post he wants.  Pro or Anti AD every single post is allowed to stand because it is his.  If he wants to lock the Fire RV banner threads he can, it is his board.   Go start your own board if you can't follow his rules.

You are the one who said "allowed to" ... Not me.  Seems you need to check those rules.  You are great at completely missing points...there is none so blind as those who will not see. Seems I am following the rules.  Is there a rule about posting negative stuff about one's employing institution during office hours?  Can you look that one up for me?

And, I am guessing all the banner ads and such now help a good bit  to pay for this board as well. Like that snappy X-Ray tech school ad up on mine right now. Or, are those just allowed out of the goodness of someone's heart?  You are the tech guy....tell me, those just go up gratis?  I, for some reason, thought that was one reason folks like to get lots of hits on their boards...the more hits the more ads, the more ads the more revenue....no?  Could just be pennies.  But, if so, why allow them at all?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

You can do all the research and interviewing you can but until a guy actually takes the reigns, you have no idea if he will sink or swim. 

Selecting a coach is either a skill or a crap shoot.  If it's a crap shoot we can save a ton of money by not having an AD and instead having the next coaches name drawn out of a hopper at the 50 yards line during the Green/White game.

If it's a skill, then anyone can miss out on any one hire, but having this as your resume in the revenue sports is damning:   Mac (22-32), Dodge (6-37), Benford (42-53), Petersen( 28-61), Aston (15-16), and Stephens (25-67)

I think it was Tasty who came out with the stat that the of all the revenue sports coaches the AD has hired in the last decade only one had one winning season over .500, and that was Mac.  Mac, the coach we just had to fire after getting destroyed by an FCS school, is the bell cow of that group.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And Jones, and Llama, and Stracke.......

Is Aston really fair to throw in there?  Because in my mind, she overachieved at 15-16.

Oh wait, better not throw Jones in my argument, he went 35-50 his first three years, so Benford >= Jones?

And, I am guessing all the banner ads and such now help a good bit  to pay for this board as well. Like that snappy X-Ray tech school ad up on mine right now. Or, are those just allowed out of the goodness of someone's heart?  You are the tech guy....tell me, those just go up gratis?  I, for some reason, thought that was one reason folks like to get lots of hits on their boards...the more hits the more ads, the more ads the more revenue....no?  Could just be pennies.  But, if so, why allow them at all?

As a capitalist and fellow Ulys Knight spirit award winner, Mark I don't like this post.  I hope Harry gets filthy rich off of this thing.

Side note, Vito just wet his pants for the third time today.......

Can't wait for the nightly edition of "How did your day go honey?  What all did you get accomplished today?"  followed by my blank stare off into space.

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 4

You are the one who said "allowed to" ... Not me.  Seems you need to check those rules.  You are great at completely missing points...there is none so blind as those who will not see. Seems I am following the rules.  Is there a rule about posting negative stuff about one's employing institution during office hours?  Can you look that one up for me?

Ah, the veiled threat intimidation tactic. Straight out of the RV playbook?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Is Aston really fair to throw in there?  Because in my mind, she overachieved at 15-16.

Oh wait, better not throw Jones in my argument, he went 35-50 his first three years, so Benford >= Jones?

As a capitalist and fellow Ulys Knight spirit award winner, Mark I don't like this post.  I hope Harry gets filthy rich off of this thing.

Side note, Vito just wet his pants for the third time today.......

So, do I fly....just commenting on the fact that Cerebus stated that Harry pays for it all.  I hope he gets mega rich too and joins that very small list of big UNT donors.  Harry gets help in paying for it through all those banner ads.  Just clearing up the facts that Cerebus so intentionally left out of his reply.  I am all for capitalism! :-)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

He made the Jones hire over 14 years ago. The revenue sports hires he has made in the last decade, which have collectively been awful, are better indicators at how good he is at making hires in present day. Aston may have overachieved, but she had a losing record because she was inheriting a mess made by an awful hire by RV in Stephens. And why didn't the next hire push us above .500? Because RV followed her up with another awful hire in Peterson.

RV may want what's best for the university, but his hires are absolutely holding our athletics back and they have been for a while. We should not be sitting in 2015 at dead last in the FBS in football, coming off a 30-point loss in the first round of the CUSA Men's basketball tournament to a 10-seed, and having not even made our conference's tournament in women's basketball.

• Upvote 7

The non revenue sports hires have been ok to good.  Too bad they don't bring in money and don't get the university anywhere near the publicity that winning in Football and basketball would.  

Johnny Jones was a great hire but that was done pre 9/11, over 14 years ago. Since then the revenue sports hires have not been good.   The AD deserves credit for Johnny Jones, but he deserves demerits for  Mac (22-32), Dodge (6-37), Benford (42-53), Petersen( 28-61), Aston (15-16), and Stephens (25-67).

I hope Harry gets filthy rich off of this thing.

As someone who has tried to help balance the books with Harry before, he is losing a lot of money every year off this board.  The ads help but don't come anywhere close to covering his costs.  Harry gets to spend a lot of money every year for people to come in and question his motives.

ETA: And the mods and admins get to spend many, many hours trying to keep everything going for nothing as well.  

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Selecting a coach is either a skill or a crap shoot.  If it's a crap shoot we can save a ton of money by not having an AD and instead having the next coaches name drawn out of a hopper at the 50 yards line during the Green/White game.

If it's a skill, then anyone can miss out on any one hire, but having this as your resume in the revenue sports is damning:   Mac (22-32), Dodge (6-37), Benford (42-53), Petersen( 28-61), Aston (15-16), and Stephens (25-67)

I think it was Tasty who came out with the stat that the of all the revenue sports coaches the AD has hired in the last decade only one had one winning season over .500, and that was Mac.  Mac, the coach we just had to fire after getting destroyed by an FCS school, is the bell cow of that group.

Don't forget that Aston is 58-41 since being hired away and had her team in the Sweet 16 last year but RV hired her so she was a bad coach and would've failed had she not been hired away.

Also, Johnny Jones was hired by RV and is 61-37 since he left and took his team to the second round of the NCAA tourney last year but if he had not been hired away, he probably would've been a failure here.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You pro RV guys sure are vocal today. Does this have anything to do with the article released today about RV giving everyone the finger?

How did he give them the finger?  By stating the obvious?  By saying that until somebody tells him different, he is the A.D. here, and he is not retiring, and he has some things left to accomplish.  He is not giving anybody the finger.  You guys have so much hate in your heart it is ridiculous.  He can't not answer the question.

Again, can't wait for the article.  This was not an article, it was not in the paper, it was a post in a beat writers blog teasing an article.

I think Vito just peed himself for the fourth time today, while drinking milk and eating cookies at his laptop trying to write the actual article, while his computer keeps going ding, ding, ding because of the multiple replies to his original post.

With all of this response, I guarantee he is going to write something slanted and make it look like RV is giving everyone the finger.  Should be grand.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Don't forget that Aston is 58-41 since being hired away and had her team in the Sweet 16 last year but RV hired here so she was a bad coach and would've failed had she not been hired away.

Aston didn't even have a winning record here.   She may have had to dig out of a terrible hole, but that hole was created by another of the AD's hires.  The AD is hired to find coaches who can win here, not at UT.   

Also, Johnny Jones was hired by RV and is 61-37 since he left and took his team to the second round of the NCAA tourney last year but if he had not been hired away, he probably would've been a failure here.

Johnny Jones would have probably gotten us to at least one other dance by now.  He was a good hire, made in 2001.  You have to make more than one good hire to offset  Mac (22-32), Dodge (6-37), Benford (42-53), Petersen( 28-61), Aston (15-16), and Stephens (25-67).

The crazy thing is that if Jones was still here, or if we had been able to hire a coach that kept his momentum going, there wouldn't be any where near the demand for change there is now, since would have at least one of the revenue sports to look forward to.  

• Upvote 4

I want to get snippy with him, but he knows my name so I must be on some hit list now. Got to be careful what I say. 

Sorry if you may have covered my question in another post, but why did you feel the need to tweet  Mack's firing on game day morning ?  Just asking, that's all.

Edited by Green Dozer
Wrong word
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

How did he give them the finger?  By stating the obvious?  By saying that until somebody tells him different, he is the A.D. here, and he is not retiring, and he has some things left to accomplish.  He is not giving anybody the finger.  You guys have so much hate in your heart it is ridiculous.  He can't not answer the question.

Again, can't wait for the article.  This was not an article, it was not in the paper, it was a post in a beat writers blog teasing an article.

I think Vito just peed himself for the fourth time today, while drinking milk and eating cookies at his laptop trying to write the actual article, while his computer keeps going ding, ding, ding because of the multiple replies to his original post.

With all of this response, I guarantee he is going to write something slanted and make it look like RV is giving everyone the finger.  Should be grand.

The statement that a "minority" thinks he should be fired is disingenuous at its core. Anyone who thinks that wasn't him giving us the middle finger isn't paying close enough attention. The fact that Vito's computer is going ding ding ding should be proof enough that we are not a minority.

• Upvote 4

Aston didn't even have a winning record here.   She may have had to dig out of a terrible hole, but that hole was created by another of the AD's hires.  The AD is hired to find coaches who can win here, not at UT.    

I think you've lost your damn mind at this point. All rationale has gone out the window for you. Aston took a team that went 5-25 and immediately took them to 15-16. That's incredible. That is like taking an 0-12 football team to 6-6 in year one. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I think you've lost your damn mind at this point. All rationale has gone out the window for you at this point. Aston took at team that went 5-25 and immediately took them to 15-16. That's incredible. That is like taking an 0-12 football team to 6-6 in year one. I would take that in a heartbeat.

It's called "point counterpoint"  It used to be one of my favorite skits on Saturday Night Live before he was even born.  

I think you've lost your damn mind at this point. All rationale has gone out the window for you. Aston took at team that went 5-25 and immediately took them to 15-16. That's incredible. That is like taking an 0-12 football team to 6-6 in year one. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Fine, give the AD credit for Aston.  You have to give him demerits for the hires before that lead to going 5-25, you have to give him demerits for the hires afterward that did terribly.

It's called "point counterpoint"  It used to be one of my favorite skits on Saturday Night Live before he was even born.  

I'm older than you think.  I may understand computers, but I have been on them a long time.   I wrote BASIC on the TRS computers with an astounding 2k of RAM in the mid 80s.  I know several programming languages that are deader than Aramaic.  

ETA: Jane Curtain was pretty good looking in the Point/Counterpoint era.  

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 2

Vito is writing on what he sees (a lot coming from gmg.com) But he is not doing this to be a troll. He wrote this article because he is reporting on what we all deep down knew, was the cold hard truth. That RV ain't leaving... And it is basically reinforced the fact that he has become a tyrant to our athletic department.

Its not that we have hate in our heart, but the fact that we are all sick of the lies, excuses, lack of product, ignorance, and lack of change is all making us bitter. The majority is called a minority, and this interview with rick is almost as bad as the kick-in-the-nuts of a season. I know a lot of you are going to take the side of RV, and point out the constant posting by UNT 90 of trolling RV...

But UNT90 does have valid points... Why should we accept this? the atrocious state of our football and basketball program.... But hey... some of us still have tie to wait I guess. I'm only 24 years old, so maybe by the time I'm in my late 30's to 40's, When Rick decides to leave... just maybe.... I might get to see UNT become the successful program all of us UNT fans pray for.....

• Upvote 3

Meant say "tweeted", sorry.  It was through his Twitter account.

Our site learned he wasn't going to be back next year and I was just sharing information. Did it get retweeted a bunch of times? No. Did it make headlines? No. Letsche from 1310 questioned it until after the game when he heard reports saying it was going down. 

• Upvote 2

Don't forget that Aston is 58-41 since being hired away and had her team in the Sweet 16 last year but RV hired her so she was a bad coach and would've failed had she not been hired away.

Aston didn't take UNT to the sweet sixteen. Get it?

Unless you are a UT fan, that don't matter.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1