Mario Cristobal
-- Turned around a terrible Florida Int'l team, has won at a mid-major
Major Applewhite
-- A celebrity across Texas who has worked at Rice, Texas, Houston
Jake Spavital
-- Worked at Oklahoma State, Houston, coached Johnny Manziel
Brad Smiley
-- 2014 Nat'l Junior College Coach of Year has Texas ties, is Baylor grad

read more:  http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20151011-a-look-at-6-potential-candidates-for-unt-s-vacancy-lone-star-state-coordinators-aplenty.ece

Needs moar Sonny Cumbie.

I like Cumbie, but someone made a good point. Apparently TCU people don't think too fondly of RV, and he didn't help his reputation after the handling of the Mccarney firing. I don't know that the TCU guys wouldn't take the job here, but that is a factor to consider and it probably doesn't help.

Im still pushing for my boy Smiley. I can't guarantee he'd make the big jump successfully (none of these guys are even close to sure things), but I know recruiting would be incredibly fun to follow and he'd get some really good players in here. He'd also make sure our special teams are good, and we'd put up points. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like Cumbie, but someone made a good point. Apparently TCU people don't think too fondly of RV, and he didn't help his reputation after the handling of the Mccarney firing. I don't know that the TCU guys wouldn't take the job here, but that is a factor to consider and it probably doesn't help.

Im still pushing for my boy Smiley. I can't guarantee he'd make the big jump successfully (none of these guys are even close to sure things), but I know recruiting would be incredibly fun to follow and he'd get some really good players in here. He'd also make sure our special teams are good, and we'd put up points. 

I know Smiley is your guy for H.C., but do you think he'd come to town as an O.C. if the money was right?   I don't know what he makes at TVCC...

• Upvote 1

I know Smiley is your guy for H.C., but do you think he'd come to town as an O.C. if the money was right?   I don't know what he makes at TVCC...

Yeah, I would like that too, and I think he would take an OC job. But I would imagine the hire would want to bring in his own OC, and Smiley wouldn't just take a position coach/recruiting coordinator job because that's what he was at Tulane before TVCC.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

I don't get the Briles thing at all. He's not even 33 years old yet! He's only been a coordinator since last December, and he's only worked for his dad. We have no idea if he can run an entire program. Seems way too risky. 

I suspect these are the same people that loved Todd Dodge and aren't exposed to a lot of college football outside of Texas. Thus, the reason why Applewhite's nutsack is fought over around these parts.

Give me experience over a potential Coach Bro. There are "young" established coaches around the nation. Let's look at them first, please. Good recruiters can recruit anywhere they land.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

I don't get the Briles thing at all. He's not even 33 years old yet! He's only been a coordinator since last December, and he's only worked for his dad. We have no idea if he can run an entire program. Seems way too risky. 

Because everyone that comes from the Briles system puts up yards and points and we've been lacking in that area. Briles would make UNT trendy. The only problem is he is probably not ready to lead a program. He also probably couldnt land a quality staff.

• Upvote 1

You would pick Major Applewhite over Brady Hoke? If I were the AD, this is a no brainer if I had these 2 resumes in front of me...

Brady Hoke?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxPSzz0LBY

You really want a retread, don't you? I'd rather have Turner Gill if we're going the retread route, but I don't see any of those guys taking this program where we are capable of going. The reasons they were fired don't translate well here, IMO.

• Upvote 1

You would pick Briles/Applewhite over Brady Hoke? If I were the AD, this is a no brainer if I had these 2 resumes in front of me...

Id take Applewhite over Hoke. Hoke proved the game has passed him by at Michigan. Hoke is like McCarney 2.0 he cant develop talent. At Michigan he out recruited a lot of the teams they faced, but yet Michigan still lost.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 4