Timeline: Get your tinfoil out.

Cr1028

What if Smith is third string because he sucks? These coaches want to win, they like their jobs. If he was good he would be playing right now. Last year they skipped over Lil Mac twice. He may be the only choice. Think about that. It might just be the truth. Believe me I want to be wrong but I might be right.

I'm sorry, but I am not buying this at all. He had success in a pretty competitive JUCO conference. This has been said before several times but I feel like I need to point it out again... D. Smith had almost identical numbers as Zach Mettenberger with the same JUCO team and played in less games. Zach Mettenberger went on to play at LSU (vs North Texas to no surprise, thanks RV) and then went on to be a 1st round draft pick. 

Andrew McNulty would not have nothing near the amount of success that D. Smith had at Butler. And that is if he was even named the starter at Butler. That, to me, would be in high question. So, there's that. You can keep buying the bs that Mac and Co keep shoveling down your throat, but I closed my mouth really in the midst of the 2012 season. I saw what he was trying to do as a team and I knew it wouldn't work at the G5 level. You have to have legitimate Jimmy's and Joe's to maintain the philosophy of great D and ST to expect to win. It's an LSU blueprint of success and they are able to pull this off for 9-10-11 wins a season because they recruit as good as anyone in the country. Their best QB at LSU since Miles has been there has in fact been Mettenberger. They actually had a threat in the passing game with him there, no wonder (Butler, D. Smith *cough, cough*). But before and after that they have had nobodies playing the QB position and they win because they recruit incredibly well. Mentioning their recruiting efforts... they have more active NFL players than any other program in the country at 40. With that kind of college - NFL production they should be winning far more than they are, but they're winning and doing with garbage at QB. Well, bottom line, we aren't LSU and we can't mold our team in that fashion and that is what Mac wants to do and it's what he has wanted to do since he took the job. It's not working. It hasn't worked. It's not going to work. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm sorry, but I am not buying this at all. He had success in a pretty competitive JUCO conference. This has been said before several times but I feel like I need to point it out again... D. Smith had almost identical numbers as Zach Mettenberger with the same JUCO team and played in less games. Zach Mettenberger went on to play at LSU (vs North Texas to no surprise, thanks RV) and then went on to be a 1st round draft pick. 

Andrew McNulty would not have nothing near the amount of success that D. Smith had at Butler. And that is if he was even named the starter at Butler. That, to me, would be in high question. So, there's that. You can keep buying the bs that Mac and Co keep shoveling down your throat, but I closed my mouth really in the midst of the 2012 season. I saw what he was trying to do as a team and I knew it wouldn't work at the G5 level. You have to have legitimate Jimmy's and Joe's to maintain the philosophy of great D and ST to expect to win. It's an LSU blueprint of success and they are able to pull this off for 9-10-11 wins a season because they recruit as good as anyone in the country. Their best QB at LSU since Miles has been there has in fact been Mettenberger. They actually had a threat in the passing game with him there, no wonder (Butler, D. Smith *cough, cough*). But before and after that they have had nobodies playing the QB position and they win because they recruit incredibly well. Mentioning their recruiting efforts... they have more active NFL players than any other program in the country at 40. With that kind of college - NFL production they should be winning far more than they are, but they're winning and doing with garbage at QB. Well, bottom line, we aren't LSU and we can't mold our team in that fashion and that is what Mac wants to do and it's what he has wanted to do since he took the job. It's not working. It hasn't worked. It's not going to work. 

I am not buying anything anyone is shoveling down my throat. You might want to watch it with that talk. I am just throwing out a hypothetical situation. We all keep assuming he is amazing. We thought the same about Berglund and that was not the case.

• Upvote 1

I am not buying anything anyone is shoveling down my throat. You might want to watch it with that talk. I am just throwing out a hypothetical situation. We all keep assuming he is amazing. We thought the same about Berglund and that was not the case.

I meant more like "our" throat since you know we're all fans and what not. Easy Mr. Sensitive. 

Berglund never accomplished much of anything at any level. Not the same comparison. His hype was all manufactured by talking heads. Smith has played in meaningful games vs decent competition post-high school and has performed well. 

Where, in the CFL?

Because if you're talking about the NFL, you're about 145 picks off on that. 

Very true. My mistake. Hard to keep track of all the 1st round draft picks the Titans blow on QB's. 

Either way, he had success at Butler - transitioned nicely to LSU - was drafted.  If my memory serves me right he was the starer his rookie year before he was injured. He's kind of irrelevant to the overall point though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I meant more like "our" throat since you know we're all fans and what not. Easy Mr. Sensitive. 

Berglund never accomplished much of anything at any level. Not the same comparison. His hype was all manufactured by talking heads. Smith has played in meaningful games vs decent competition post-high school and has performed well. 

Look Internet tough guy, I am not being sensitive. Say "our" if that is what you mean next time, not "your".

As stated in my first post... I want to be wrong and hope he is a better option. When I first found out he was coming here I was excited because of his track record, but something isn't right if he has not already proved he can do it. Like I said the coaches want to win. It is there asses if they don't. I really do not believe these theories being thrown around that Lil Mac is the starter because his dad is buddies and fellow Hawkeye alumni with Mac. I believe that Lil Mac got an offer because the relationship, but that is as far as that most likely goes. Also, if Lil Mac sucks it up the first half and is not pulled I will also lose my shit. Most coaches do not want to be wrong and will give a kid a try to start game two (Regardless if he started some games last year or not). So we shall see. Either way, I hope to God we beat Rice. We will not if Andrew Football plays like last week and goes 4 quarters. We have all figured that out. 

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look Internet tough guy, I am not being sensitive. Say "our" if that is what you mean next time, not "your".

As stated in my first post... I want to be wrong and hope he is a better option. When I first found out he was coming here I was excited because of his track record, but something isn't right if he has not already proved he can do it. Like I said the coaches want to win. It is there asses if they don't. I really do not believe these theories being thrown around that Lil Mac is the starter because his dad is buddies and fellow Hawkeye alumni with Mac. I believe that Lil Mac got an offer because the relationship, but that is as far as that most likely goes. Also, if Lil Mac sucks it up the first half and is not pulled I will also lose my shit. Most coaches do not want to be wrong and will give a kid a try to start game two (Regardless if he started some games last year or not). So we shall see. Either way, I hope to God we beat Rice. We will not if Andrew Football plays like last week and goes 4 quarters. We have all figured that out. 

I'm really not too much into whether it's conspiracy, coincidence, or what, so much as I am concerned that we are into our 3rd reputed hotshot juco quarterback who doesn't seem to figure in the plans of the coaches, and we're honestly losing the interest of some very long time, serious supporters.  Believe me, I'd like to think better of Mac and Chico, but am like others who are just losing hope.  I guess one of the things that has led me to wonder about this whole thing was in one Alabama game, where, after nothing happened all game offensively, Osborn was put in, got us to the red zone, where he was immediately pulled in favor of McNulty, who then got us nowhere to close out the game.  Sure, garbage time, but recently, no backups even get that.  What would it have hurt for one of the backups to come in for the last series at SMU last week?

I'm really not too much into whether it's conspiracy, coincidence, or what, so much as I am concerned that we are into our 3rd reputed hotshot juco quarterback who doesn't seem to figure in the plans of the coaches, and we're honestly losing the interest of some very long time, serious supporters.  Believe me, I'd like to think better of Mac and Chico, but am like others who are just losing hope.  I guess one of the things that has led me to wonder about this whole thing was in one Alabama game, where, after nothing happened all game offensively, Osborn was put in, got us to the red zone, where he was immediately pulled in favor of McNulty, who then got us nowhere to close out the game.  Sure, garbage time, but recently, no backups even get that.  What would it have hurt for one of the backups to come in for the last series at SMU last week?

It made no sense for them to send Lil Mac out at the end. I said the same thing during the game. There is nothing wrong with throwing a player out there and seeing what he has. This back up could have proved he was the man and boom we have a new starter. Who knows. To be honest during the game I wanted a back up to come in Athapaskan, because Lil Mac seemed scared and indecisive. If he satraps the Rice game like that they must pull him. 

I am also losing hope. I watch my other alma mater, Tcu and what they have achieved, and just wish it was UNT that did those things. The powers that be keep screwing up and shooting themselves in the foot, every chance they get. I missed that during the game with Osborn, but that does not surprise me at all. It is just par for the course. The Heart of Dallas Bowl was a great time and I hate that now we are back to not knowing if we will win one day game.

Can we get over this Mcnulty fascination? If we end up bad this year it's not going to be because of this stuff. It's not his fault our QB recruiting has been awful. And that's not the only position we haven't recruited well under Mccarney. 

No, we probably can't get over it. This is what happens when you have substandard QB play and play losing football.

Sure it's not the only position, but it's the most important one.

What if Smith is third string because he sucks? These coaches want to win, they like their jobs. If he was good he would be playing right now. Last year they skipped over Lil Mac twice. He may be the only choice. Think about that. It might just be the truth. Believe me I want to be wrong but I might be right.

I believe they want to win, but I think it's already been established that Mac isn't going anywhere for another year or two, regardless of his wins or losses. I find it hard to believe that the family connections played no role in mini-Mac coming here. Do you think he was recruited based solely on his ability? If you think family played a role in recruiting why is it so hard to believe it could play a role now? 

• Upvote 1

point is we KNOW that McNulty and Greer aren't the answer and we won't win 4 games with either of them behind center.

Smith is the only unknown. If McNulty does what we all suspect he will do against Rice, throw Smith out there and see what he can do. UNT literally has nothing to lose.

But this won't happen until at least the USM game. McNulty will start at Iowa. DMac will use the excuse that you need a 5th year senior at the helm in such an environment and that he can't throw someone who has never started an FBS game at QB into the fire at Iowa.

So McNulty could go 12-30 for 115 and 3 picks against Rice and it won't change a damn thing against Iowa as far as the QB position is concerned.

Sad thing is, the above numbers are a greater possibility than McNulty throwing for 300 yards against Rice. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Can we get over this Mcnulty fascination? If we end up bad this year it's not going to be because of this stuff. It's not his fault our QB recruiting has been awful. And that's not the only position we haven't recruited well under Mccarney. 

There's a difference between scratching & putting calamine lotion on the poison ivy rash you have and taking some roundup to the poison ivy patch you happened to stumble into to rid the problem.

McNulty starting here is certainly just a symptom of the root cause, but he's still itching the fanbase with his lack of skills.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for reminding me that Mcnulty coughed up 14 points at Tulsa before Osborn went in and put up 14. Hell, if Osborn went in for Mcnulty, that would've been a win. Without the two INTs, it'd be 21-27, and if Osborn had pushed another drive, it'd be 28-27, possibly better. But whatever, we gotta put McNulty in.

If it ain't nepotism, it's bad coaching.

• Upvote 2

No, we probably can't get over it. This is what happens when you have substandard QB play and play losing football.

Sure it's not the only position, but it's the most important one.

I believe they want to win, but I think it's already been established that Mac isn't going anywhere for another year or two, regardless of his wins or losses. I find it hard to believe that the family connections played no role in mini-Mac coming here. Do you think he was recruited based solely on his ability? If you think family played a role in recruiting why is it so hard to believe it could play a role now? 

No I stated in another post I believe him getting here was because of the connection. I just don't think he is forced onto the field just because of that fact. That would be crazy. Coaches want to win. If there was a better option right now, he or she would be out there.

point is we KNOW that McNulty and Greer aren't the answer and we won't win 4 games with either of them behind center.

Smith is the only unknown. If McNulty does what we all suspect he will do against Rice, throw Smith out there and see what he can do. UNT literally has nothing to lose.

But this won't happen until at least the USM game. McNulty will start at Iowa. DMac will use the excuse that you need a 5th year senior at the helm in such an environment and that he can't throw someone who has never started an FBS game at QB into the fire at Iowa.

So McNulty could go 12-30 for 115 and 3 picks against Rice and it won't change a damn thing against Iowa as far as the QB position is concerned.

Sad thing is, the above numbers are a greater possibility than McNulty throwing for 300 yards against Rice. 

If McNulty is showing a hint of suck he should be pulled. It should bever get to three picks. If Coach Mac let's it get that far he sucks.

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 1

No I stated in another post I believe him getting here was because of the connection. I just don't think he is forced onto the field just because of that fact. That would be crazy. Coaches want to win. If there was a better option right now, he or she would be out there.

If McNulty is showing a hint of suck he should be pulled. It should bever get to three picks. If Coach Mac let's it get that far he sucks.

You make it sound like McNuty had other options. He didn't. We were his only FBS offer. How many other recruits did we sign from Iowa that year, or any year of Mac's tenure?

it got to 2 picks last week against an opponent that is inferior to the opponent we play this week without change. He could throw 6 picks next week and he would still start against Iowa.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You make it sound like McNuty had other options. He didn't. We were his only FBS offer. How many other recruits did we sign from Iowa that year, or any year of Mac's tenure?

it got to 2 picks last week against an opponent that is inferior to the opponent we play this week without change. He could throw 6 picks next week and he would still start against Iowa.

No, I know he only had one offer. UNT and it is because of his dad. I don't think I implied otherwise. I even stated he is here because of the connection between Coach Mac and his Pops.

No, I know he only had one offer. UNT and it is because of his dad. I don't think I implied otherwise. I even stated he is here because of the connection between Coach Mac and his Pops.

I think maybe I can clear this up. Shep acknowledges that #5 is only in our program because of nepotism. Shep is saying that #5 is not the starter because of nepotism, but that he is just the quarterback in our program that sucks the least.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

Speaking of tweets:

Speaking of tweets. I was tempted to reply to him and mention how the team "doesn't accept turnovers" either, yet he continuously fields a QB that has more career INT's than TD's. You only win the day if you put yourself in a position to win. 

If you went back and watched the tape you would know that those were not his fault.

Mac is pretty consistent in his operation/evaluation of all players.  Not just QB.  He is old school and his tolerance for mistakes is low.  I know there are mistakes made in games, but if you are making them in practice, you won't play.  You will be considered not ready.  

Mac is going to choose senority over potential.  Once again, fear of mistakes.

This has been the case in lots of positions.  RB.  2014 Pegram.  2013 whitfield and jackson started at CB.  Spring camp, they said CB play must improve.  It took 2 games to finally make the switch.  

Young players are still with the mindset the talent will win out.  Not here.  You have to be consistent to get mac comfortable and to trust you.  I imagine players like pegram, terrell, mcnulty, etc are vets and they know how to practice and know what the coaches are looking for daily.  

A young player is coming in with the mindset that I have to make big plays to get the coaches attention.  If they see my talent, I can climb the depth chart.  By taking more risks, they make more mistakes. Especially against the 1st team d... While mcnulty is dinking and dunking his way through practice against the 2s and 3s, he looks good.  He knows the tendencies of the players.  He knows who to throw against, and who not to.  

Only problem is our practices are nothing like the games.  It's very obvious that our prep is horrible.  The way our QBS look lost and unprepared shows that he have a hard time simulating game speed and situations.

• Upvote 6