Any chance to Pack Apogee?

ABrownGMG

If we make a conference championship happen at Apogee, I would bet good money that we have a sell out. I think this year, our big crowd bringing games are UTSA and UTEP. The only problem is... the fact that one is on Halloween, (alumni attendance hurts) and UTEP is on a thanksgiving break weekend...If we have a good year and brought a more reputable team to our homecoming, then we could of had a sellout or close to sell out. (but Portland State) All in all, a conference championship at Apogee will bring the masses.

Also, this is another reason why we need OK state or a P5 opponent at our stadium that would bring their alumni. But I'm beating a dead horse with that topic.

• Upvote 2

If we make a conference championship happen at Apogee, I would bet good money that we have a sell out. I think this year, our big crowd bringing games are UTSA and UTEP. The only problem is... the fact that one is on Halloween, (alumni attendance hurts) and UTEP is on a thanksgiving break weekend...If we have a good year and brought a more reputable team to our homecoming, then we could of had a sellout or close to sell out. (but Portland State) All in all, a conference championship at Apogee will bring the masses.

Also, this is another reason why we need OK state or a P5 opponent at our stadium that would bring their alumni. But I'm beating a dead horse with that topic.

great post -  a conference championship would certainly make it a possibility OR a game against a Texas team that matters with good weather.  For instance the first game we lost against UTSA could have been better had we not had such cold weather.  Weather impacts our attendance more than many realize.  I've seen some older people and kids almost die during September games...

@GreenTexan13 I doubt we would see a sell out for a conference championship game. The game would be on short notice and fans wouldn't really have time to plan attending, especially for those outside of the area. Also, the visiting school wouldn't bring that many fans because nearly all of their fanbase will be from outside the area. A championship game would be well attended, but I think we have too far to climb to teach a sell out.

• Upvote 1

great post -  a conference championship would certainly make it a possibility OR a game against a Texas team that matters with good weather.  For instance the first game we lost against UTSA could have been better had we not had such cold weather.  Weather impacts our attendance more than many realize.  I've seen some older people and kids almost die during September games...

You bring up a great point, I would like to add time as well. I bet a 6pm or 7pm game would be our first sell out game. The problem with the last year SMU game was that A. they don't bring any fans from 41 miles away, but B. (which is on topic) it was at 11am and people were frying in an oven at the stadium. If we had a late and close to sun down game, the old and young could be more comfortable. This only applies to early fall though, I remember that UTSA game Harry, and I couldn't feel my hands or feet that game.. It was so cold.

• Upvote 1

- Homecoming gets a good crowd but no one cares about Portland State. 

- UTEP is Thanksgiving weekend and if we aren't in the hunt for a bowl game, forget about it.

- Rice will get a descent crowd if we start with a W, however, it will likely be 187° at 1:30 on September 19th.

- Western Kentucky is a Thursday night game, so, unless we are kicking serious ass going into the game then it's doubtful.

- UTSA is Halloween. Forget it.

Therefore, our best turn out of fans will occur at Ford Field opening night at 6 o'clock pm in Dallas or at the Heart of Dallas Bowl in Dallas.

• Upvote 1

@GreenTexan13 I doubt we would see a sell out for a conference championship game. The game would be on short notice and fans wouldn't really have time to plan attending, especially for those outside of the area. Also, the visiting school wouldn't bring that many fans because nearly all of their fanbase will be from outside the area. A championship game would be well attended, but I think we have too far to climb to teach a sell out.

You do bring up a valid look at the circumstances...  I hope we can test our predictions out soon. The one way we can know for sure, is if the game actually happens in Denton.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

In trying to project a sellout,  there are too many variables in play right now but there is one factor that impacts each of them - sustained success.

As others have said, a conference championship game in Denton would certainly be our only opportunity in 2015. The formula I could see leading to a sellout in 2016:

1. A bowl game in 2015

AND

2. CUSA West contention in 2016 with a late-season home game against an in-state rival (ideally also in contention for the division title)

OR

2. CUSA West championship in 2016 with the championship game in Denton

• Upvote 1

We'll sell out the stsdium in year 2 of our new AD. When that will be, who knows. 

Now with the size of the student body, alum base, Denton etc. We should be having close to sellouts every game. People underrate the value of a dedicated fan base that is willing to show up, particularly a fan base that travels well too. There are a million bodies in Denton county, almost 40k students walking the campus daily, almost half a million alum within an hour of Denton and we stillllll can't sellout a 30.8k stadium. This, IMO, falls squarely on the AD. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Personally, I think that they have ramped it up a bit as far as trying to get buts in the seats with all the promotions they have. I was contacted by the ticket office and asked if I would like to donate some money for seat give aways in which I obliged. When I received the email in terms of donation packages, they were a little rich for my blood but they are trying.

They are doing a Military Appreciation Day (Info Below)

The University of North Texas is proud of our brave men and women who serve our nations military. North Texas has a program for your company to show its appreciation for our troops by having tickets donated in your name.
Program Includes:
•20 tickets donated to military personnel
•A letter to troops and their families stating your company as the donor of the tickets
•4 tickets to your company to attend
4 Military Appreciation Night T-shirts
•Company listed on video board with PA read
Investment: $350.00

Breast Cancer Awareness Day

10 North Endzone(Wing) tickets
10 Pink North Texas T-shirts
10 Field passes to participate in Pink Human Ribbon
Investment: $200.00

• Upvote 3