TCU unveils new 2015 uniforms

3XL

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article18248906.html

today's current climate continues to prove that uniforms are a part of the equation for college football...

I personally lean to a more traditional "sans" camoflage look...but you gotta love TCU's efforts to recruit young people and stir up interest with their fans...

Expand the Brand

3XL

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

yes...I mentioned when I posted this that I too am not a fan of the camouflage...its a little too much...but so are many of Oregons & Boise State's combinations...

Excluding the Alabama, Texas, USC and Penn States of the world...

the point is...love them or hate them...uniforms are a tool for "recruiting purposes"...even traditional schools like Notre Dame & Oklahoma have recently opened up to the idea...

I'm sure that the Battleship Purple camoflage unis are not intended to please you, me or their country club alumni...they were made to please the young 18 year old recruits that could possibly help TCU win more games.

TCU fans "do like" the wins.

I admire progress and trying to improve your own position...it is..."free market enterprise."

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yall can think what you want but, kids love tweeting pictures in crazy uniforms, in the stadiums etc, these kids probably saw these uniforms as "Ice" it matters not what us has beena likes, it's what these kids like and if that's uniforms and helmet designs, may cost 40-60 k it's WORTH every penny

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

The uniform itself may not sell the kid on the university, but it can sure help when they get to try on 4-6 styles, takes pictures in them and have a great experience.

• Upvote 1

Even their fans hate these.

So, is your point that we should make ugly uniforms to "attract young kids" even though when interviewed they say that they really don't care?

No...but maybe the TCU fans posting could be like many of our GMG.com posters...old, out of touch or pessimistic. The players & fans on the field during the unveil looked excited.

I posted this because:

• it interest me
  • TCU is another local D1 school
  • TCU is committed to winning
  • TCU is committed improving
  • TCU is not afraid of change
  • TCU has yet to don goofy "horn striped pants"
  • TCU has not had a "white facemask" in over 25 years
  • TCU will use many tools & resources to improve their football program
  • TCU athletics focus on "football" has been beneficial to their school & the local economy.

so Ryan...for you...in the most simple terms....if it's "good for football"...it's "good for the school".

I also believe that "good design is good business".

Whether it's a regular "uniform" or an "alternate uniform"....the uniform should look well designed and not "ugly".

It's "part" of the equation for many schools. (Do you think Baylor & TCU have to recruit a little different than their conference mate Texas?)

I threw this article out here for public consumption and gave my opinion...guess what...if TCU missed the mark..."which I think they may have"...they'll try something else...soon..."

TCU has had over 15+ different football helmets over their history...and you know what "nobody cares" and that's ok...their current logo is working well for them. Most G5 universities that have had a football program over 50 years have had 10+ different helmets. People worry that NT has too many helmets (13+)...get another and lose our identity...yea right...just find one that looks collegiate and stick with for a while...not a big deal...things evolve and change. Iowa State has had 15+ helmets but finally landed on a good collegiate look.

I admire TCU's ability to make a plan and execute it...to see their current status, conference or record...not be satisfied and keep pushing, market, brand, hire, recruit and schedule their way to success.

Expand the Brand

3XL

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Yes, RV said we would be getting new unis in 2015 in one of Harry's podcasts awhile back. We'll see if that happens.

Not that it matters, but I would like to see an all white w/ green trim road unis (with no black incorporated). White helmet as well with green SOW. I think we need to go with all green home unis with white and black trim and alternate helmets and other previously worn unis as seen fit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So, if we disagree with 3XL we are either old, stodgy, pessimistic, over-the-hill, blind, etc...? You don't "build the brand" by changing it every few years.

In a way, you actually do.

The core of a brand (primary colors, logo, voice) should stay the same. Those are your brand foundations. But from 3-5 or 5-7 years you do, in fact, change things. You introduce new campaigns, new taglines, maybe review your brand strategy and adjust to new or changing audiences.

Your core points of identity will likely stay the same (as they're visual touchstones) but executions of brand strategy like artwork, photo styles, messaging, audience targeting, etc., will change and really should.

• Upvote 1