C-USA schools to offer "Cost of Attendance" scholarship boosts

MeanGreenTexan

Will walk-ons be allowed to get this special "cost of attendance" money?

If not, how is this fair? (Need to get some legal action going here stat!!!)

If so, then you essentially open things up to unlimited scholarships, i.e. professional players

by paying via this route instead of for tuition/boarding/etc. Sorry, no scholarships

left, but here's $100k of "cost" for ya'. Nah, I'm sure that'll never happen.

Collegiate athletics is dead.

• Upvote 1

Are CUSA AD's all dumb? CUSA is now virtually going to be bidding on 2nd tier recruits. Flat rate or no rate should have been the goal and these morons just blew the lid off of the can or worms.

This is the beginning of the end of real college football. I wish the NFL would already establish a real minor league system so CFB can at least attempt to stay kind of pure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't see a problem with some money. They won't let them work. They aren't talking about a lot of money.

So, a kid who's parents don't give him money can take a girl out to dinner and a movie. It's a good thing. I knew players who snuck in part time jobs for spending money. Or even money to go home for Christmas.

It's not that big of a deal to the purity of the game or whatever the people who think my perspective is bad...

Edited by UNTexas

I don't see a problem with some money. They won't let them work. They aren't talking about a lot of money.

So, a kid who's parents don't give him money can take a girl out to dinner and a movie. It's a good thing. I knew players who snuck in part time jobs for spending money. Or even money to go home for Christmas.

It's not that big of a deal to the purity of the game or whatever the people who think my perspective is bad...

Yeah, OK. If they're so poor how are they going to go home for Christmas? What car? How are these players buying designer clothes and $150 shoes? I understand the sentiment though I disagree with it. My argument wasn't the money, it's the way CUSA decided to distribute it. It's dumb and will play into the hands of the higher budget schools within the conference. It's going to be a bidding war for the top level G5-CUSA tier recruits. Literally nothing else will matter. Not facilities, educational opportunities, location, etc. The only thing that will matter is $. I think I heard on here that if this passes UNT will give their players 2k each? Marshal is already talking about 3k. Well, Marshal is getting ready to dick lunch us in recruiting harder than they already do. This is going to be a problem.
  • Downvote 1

I really don't think this is going to be all that bad. First of all, the school with more money for facilities have always been ahead. This just maintains that. Secondly, facilities will still matter. Yea, kid, we'll give you an extra $100 a semester but you won't have a weight room which means your chances of success beyond college are basically gone. Third, every proposal I've seen bases the amount on the actual cost of school.

For years the NCAA has had some rules that are just dumb about athletics and money. Things that are fine for non-athletes are forbidden to athletes. If a kid can't get home for Thanksgiving, someone at the University can slip some cash or loan a car to a non-athlete but not to an athlete. Back in 1980, Bob Tyler got NT in trouble with the NCAA in part for letting players use his office phone for long distance calls! This is an effort to fix some of those stupid rules.

Yeah, OK. If they're so poor how are they going to go home for Christmas? What car? How are these players buying designer clothes and $150 shoes? I understand the sentiment though I disagree with it. My argument wasn't the money, it's the way CUSA decided to distribute it. It's dumb and will play into the hands of the higher budget schools within the conference. It's going to be a bidding war for the top level G5-CUSA tier recruits. Literally nothing else will matter. Not facilities, educational opportunities, location, etc. The only thing that will matter is $. I think I heard on here that if this passes UNT will give their players 2k each? Marshal is already talking about 3k. Well, Marshal is getting ready to dick lunch us in recruiting harder than they already do. This is going to be a problem.

How many of our recruits visited Marshall & UNT? I see a lot of Texas kids on our roster. Marshall has like 2 Texas kids. We are up against other regional universities. We should wait and see how this thing plays out.

The $150 shoe argument his silly. Let's talk about players with problems like sick parents or a baby. The debate is stupid. Life happens even to football players. They shouldn't have to charge everything in their lives on a card Or hope for a grant.

• Upvote 1

How many of our recruits visited Marshall & UNT? I see a lot of Texas kids on our roster. Marshall has like 2 Texas kids. We are up against other regional universities. We should wait and see how this thing plays out.

The $150 shoe argument his silly. Let's talk about players with problems like sick parents or a baby. The debate is stupid. Life happens even to football players. They shouldn't have to charge everything in their lives on a card Or hope for a grant.

Crazy talk. While regular students go 60k in debt to get an education, you guys try to justify $200 payments to athletes.

THEY ARE 60k AHEAD OF THE GAME WALKING IN FRESHMAN YEAR!

This is nothing but lubing the public's behind for the paid college semi-pro league that is on the horizon.

And the sun is coming up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Crazy talk. While regular students go 60k in debt to get an education, you guys try to justify $200 payments to athletes.

THEY ARE 60k AHEAD OF THE GAME WALKING IN FRESHMAN YEAR!

This is nothing but lubing the public's behind for the paid college semi-pro league that is on the horizon.

And the sun is coming up.

60,000 up as a freshman? Seriously, stop spiking that morning coffee. The sky isn't falling if players get spending money. If we are worried about money then cap the coaches salaries, tax the universities, and tax the hell out of the bowl games.

60,000 up as a freshman? Seriously, stop spiking that morning coffee. The sky isn't falling if players get spending money. If we are worried about money then cap the coaches salaries, tax the universities, and tax the hell out of the bowl games.

Ya, it's the cost of a college degree these days.

Actually, if you add in their increase in earning potential if they take advantage of the opportunity given, it's probably at least 30k a year for at least 20 years.

660k to play college ball, yet you think they need more.

Ya, it's the cost of a college degree these days.

Actually, if you add in their increase in earning potential if they take advantage of the opportunity given, it's probably at least 30k a year for at least 20 years.

660k to play college ball, yet you think they need more.

So now they make 660,000? Nice stretch. Total bs but I like your moxy. Everyone knows college graduates make more than ditch diggers. Continue...
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A can of worms that is likely to hasten the end to a lot of programs. I think every fb conference has approved this, so it is not just about competing with the P5's.

Most people are not aware what college athletes already get. The truly needy get Pell grants and there are also funds available for travel back and forth from home. It certainly won't be bad to get both a pell grant and the additional funds.

The problem and the NCAA is reacting to it. You can't pay coaches millions of dollars and earn millions and plead players don't deserve more of the pie. No matter that most programs don't come close to breaking even without student fees and state funds in many states.

Everyone knows college graduates make more than ditch diggers...

Right, so if a kid didnt have a chance at a college education, he would make less over the course of his career.

30k a year seems a good medium amount that a college education will get you. It's obviously not an absolute and will be less in some degree fields, but it will be more in others.

+1, and don't forget the NCAA bans them from working any job.

Not true. They are closely regulated, but they may work jobs, at least per NCAA rules. You may recall, Casey Fitgerald kept working at Whataburger even after he was put on scholarship.

http://web.stanford.edu/~islander/jobrules.html

I don't think that's correct. They can work jobs, but they actually have to work at those jobs.

A new NCAA rule permits a Division I student-athlete to earn legitimate on- and off-campus employment income during semester or term time, provided such income in combination with other financial aid included in the student-athlete's individual limit does not exceed the value of a full grant plus $2,000, provided:

A) The student-athlete has spent one academic year in residence at the certifying institution prior to working; and
B) The student-athlete is eligible academically to compete for the institution.
Further, prior to commencement of employment, the student-athlete and the employer must sign a written statement to be kept on file in the athletics department which specifies the following:
A) The student-athlete may not receive any remuneration for the value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following he or she has obtained because of athletics ability;
B) The student-athlete is to be compensated only for work actually performed; and
C) The student-athlete is to be compensated at a rate commensurate with the going rate in the locality for similar services.

A new NCAA rule permits a Division I student-athlete to earn legitimate on- and off-campus employment income during semester or term time, provided such income in combination with other financial aid included in the student-athlete's individual limit does not exceed the value of a full grant plus $2,000, provided:

A) The student-athlete has spent one academic year in residence at the certifying institution prior to working; and

B) The student-athlete is eligible academically to compete for the institution.

Further, prior to commencement of employment, the student-athlete and the employer must sign a written statement to be kept on file in the athletics department which specifies the following:

A) The student-athlete may not receive any remuneration for the value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following he or she has obtained because of athletics ability;

B) The student-athlete is to be compensated only for work actually performed; and

C) The student-athlete is to be compensated at a rate commensurate with the going rate in the locality for similar services.

Cool smileys. Edited by pastorgrant