Rice (1/10/15)

CMJ

Oh wow. GREAT pass by Harris to Combs for the dunk.

Very excited to watch these two guys play together for the next 3 to 4 seasons. Wesley would have also added to a nice young team :(

I'm hoping not only can we continue to win and grow this season but recruit well heading into the next.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If all the players parents could just travel to every game we might win out! Every time that a players parents are at the game they have a career might. Todd today, deandre a few games ago, TJ earlier this season, Mo and collin had good games last season when they mentioned their families were there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Very excited to watch these two guys play together for the next 3 to 4 seasons. Wesley would have also added to a nice young team :(

I'm hoping not only can we continue to win and grow this season but recruit well heading into the next.

And I hope they hold a premiere event for "The Interview" in Pyongyang...because with Benford ANYTHING is possible

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I just watched a few minutes of it. My observation/question has nothing to do with UNT, but rather with the sport of basketball itself.

In football, were I an offensive coordinator, I'd do nothing by forty yard passes, because it seems physically impossible for the defense to prevent the reception without committing defensive holding or pass interference.

Likewise, in basketball, I would never take an outside shot. Ever. I would do nothing but drive to/pass to the post (that's what they call right under the basket, right?) and attempt to jump up for a dunk. Impossible to defend without a foul. I would therefore have my players shooting several hundred free throws a week in practice until they got well into 90% accuracy. I know that's a lot to ask, but my last observation is that the modern basketball player sucks at free throws because it doesn't look cool. It doesn't make the highlight reel, so they don't bother. My team would be the sharpest shooting team in the history of fifteen feet.

• Upvote 4

I just watched a few minutes of it. My observation/question has nothing to do with UNT, but rather with the sport of basketball itself.

In football, were I an offensive coordinator, I'd do nothing by forty yard passes, because it seems physically impossible for the defense to prevent the reception without committing defensive holding or pass interference.

Likewise, in basketball, I would never take an outside shot. Ever. I would do nothing but drive to/pass to the post (that's what they call right under the basket, right?) and attempt to jump up for a dunk. Impossible to defend without a foul. I would therefore have my players shooting several hundred free throws a week in practice until they got well into 90% accuracy. I know that's a lot to ask, but my last observation is that the modern basketball player sucks at free throws because it doesn't look cool. It doesn't make the highlight reel, so they don't bother. My team would be the sharpest shooting team in the history of fifteen feet.

If a team knew that was your strategy, they would draw charges all game long.

• Upvote 1

If a team knew that was your strategy, they would draw charges all game long.

Yep, not to mention that interior defense can be played very effectively without fouling. That and rebounding were the only tools I ever offered as a rec league player, yet I never had a shortage of offers to play.

Plus, UNT is small. Really small. This would be a terrible strategy.

Glad to see Combs have a good game. It looks like he is going to be a solid CUSA player. Hopefully we will help him out with the coaching situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Then I would sic collections on their sorry asses!

But yeah, I know I'm not correct. You guys know I don't watch much basketball at all, so as a very, very casual observer, that's what the game looks like to me.

I understand. I've just watched a few teams throughout the years that draw charges well.

Has anyone found a video of the 70-foot shot made by the Rice player just before halftime? Unbelievable.

Just FYI....in the women's game against Rice, Rice hit a shot from about half-court as time ran out in the first half.

Better FYI....neither Rice sqùad won their respective games against UNT. Ha! Greatness!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1