Platinum = 15

Emerald = 10

Golden = 28

Bronze = 135

Victory Circle = 332

Green White = 387

Eagle Pride = 81

Recent Grad = 117

Season ticket info is not published, so I am having to make several assumptions based on MGC numbers and published guidelines.

Assuming the MGC information is fairly accurate and I was able to count, we have 1,105 MGC members.

If you make the assumption that every member purchases season football ticket allotment based on their giving level (I realize some won't, but there are other season ticket holders that don't make contributions, so assuming somewhat of a wash here), you are going to come up with something in the 4,000-4,500 range. Let's give the benefit of the doubt and use 4,500 as our number (please speak up if you know otherwise).

That is a sad number. In order to have healthy attendance, we should be at least at 35% capacity with season ticket sales, which would be roughly 10,000 season tickets sold.

This should be a very public, and very monitored area of the AD office. I realize the AD himself normally just focuses on the top 2 or 3 booster levels (big donors is where the AD should focus), but there is a staff within the AD office whose job it is to focus on these sort of things. We just hired a guy last year I believe to head this area up.

I would like to see a public campaign to reach 10,000 season tickets sold for football. I am not even sure where to start in basketball, but at 10k capacity, we should have at least 2,000, maybe 2,500 season tickets sold.

They will have to get creative, and it will take work, but if a goal is set and your employment depends on it, I bet there will be motivation.

Setting and meeting these types of goals, and measuring your progress against these goals daily, weekly, monthly is how it is done in business every day. If we achieved the goals listed above, many of the other problems we face go away.

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 2

Here are some MGC numbers I pulled from the website:

Platinum = 15

Emerald = 10

Golden = 28

Bronze = 135

Victory Circle = 332

Green White = 387

Eagle Pride = 81

Recent Grad = 117

Season ticket info is not published, so I am having to make several assumptions based on MGC numbers and published guidelines.

Assuming the MGC information is fairly accurate and I was able to count, we have 1,105 MGC members.

If you make the assumption that every member purchases season football ticket allotment based on their giving level (I realize some won't, but there are other season ticket holders that don't make contributions, so assuming somewhat of a wash here), you are going to come up with something in the 4,000-4,500 range. Let's give the benefit of the doubt and use 4,500 as our number (please speak up if you know otherwise).

That is a sad number. In order to have healthy attendance, we should be at least at 35% capacity with season ticket sales, which would be roughly 10,000 season tickets sold.

This should be a very public, and very monitored area of the AD office. I realize the AD himself normally just focuses on the top 2 or 3 booster levels (big donors is where the AD should focus), but there is a staff within the AD office whose job it is to focus on these sort of things. We just hired a guy last year I believe to head this area up.

I would like to see a public campaign to reach 10,000 season tickets sold for football. I am not even sure where to start in basketball, but at 10k capacity, we should have at least 2,000, maybe 2,500 season tickets sold.

They will have to get creative, and it will take work, but if a goal is set and your employment depends on it, I bet there will be motivation.

Setting and meeting these types of goals, and measuring your progress against these goals daily, weekly, monthly is how it is done in business every day. If we achieved the goals listed above, many of the other problems we face go away.

Pretty terrible for an AD that has been here 14 years.

Assuming we started at zero when RV arrived, that would mean he and the people he manages have managed to recruit a whopping 79 new members each year.

I doubt there are any consequences for failure to meet goals within the AD. I mean, it is our culture, after all.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Does anyone know if the university shares student info with the athletic department?

I am thinking they don't, but not sure.

All of giving (Advancement, Alumni, MGC, College-specific) is now stored in a new Raiser's Edge database in which all various giving profiles are attributed to a single user. I asked your very question while I was previewing the database last week. Every department is going to start sharing... except for the AD.

Until the silo-removal that Pres. Smatresk desires takes place across the highway, this is how it will remain.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 3

All of giving (Advancement, Alumni, MGC, College-specific) is now stored in a new Raiser's Edge database in which all various giving profiles are attributed to a single user. I asked your very question while I was previewing the database last week. Every department is going to start sharing... except for the AD.

Until the silo-removal that Pres. Smartest desires takes place across the highway, this is how it will remain.

Unbelievable.

Only at UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think it is a little more common than you might think and certainly not unique to UNT.

The athletic departments operate with one arm tied behind their back at a lot of places, especially where athletic are not viewed as a priority.

It is mostly seven by fear (IMO). This kind of petty crap has to be eliminated. Hopefully, Smatresk is the man for the job.

Think of the marketing opportunity for the athletic department if they are given access to this info. Currently, they only have info they have gathered on their own over the years.

• Upvote 1

Man, there are a lot of people scared that UNT will outgrow the label of the public liberal arts university of Texas.

Who are the most successful couple of football programs associated with a public school considered to be a liberal arts university? Are any of the public P5 considered liberal arts

I believe Smatresk is a good leader. He has unfortunately been saddled with the accounting fiasco and that rightfully has taken most of his attention.

He is very responsive and engaged in all sports as he attends the games, wears face paint and tweets encouragement win or lose. He has been here less than a year but already shows a sincere sense of pride on all things UNT, especially the new Union that is being built which will be the biggest single capital project since Apogee.

I really appreciate the good work he is doing and believe it will pay dividends.

Smastrek is the Man and I know he will make great things happen for North Texas. We didn't deserve to bowl. Not this team this year. We would have gotten waxed. Still a productive fun year. Here is to 2015 GMG!!!!!

• Upvote 3

I believe Smatresk is a good leader. He has unfortunately been saddled with the accounting fiasco and that rightfully has taken most of his attention.

He is very responsive and engaged in all sports as he attends the games, wears face paint and tweets encouragement win or lose. He has been here less than a year but already shows a sincere sense of pride on all things UNT, especially the new Union that is being built which will be the biggest single capital project since Apogee.

I really appreciate the good work he is doing and believe it will pay dividends.

For what it's worth, I believe the union in the biggest capital project in the history of NT.

Not only that, but it my understanding that Ticketmaster will not share tickets purchasers' info with the athletic dept....unbelievable.

This is actually the only realistic one of all. Ticketmaster is a business and is legally required to keep their customers' information private unless authorized to do so with their "partners." So UNT would have to become an affinity partner or something with Ticketmaster, and then each given customer who purchased UNT tickets from Ticketmaster would have to opt in to receive special offers and such from UNT.

Not impossible when you think about it, but not something very likely to happen any time soon.

• Upvote 1

This is actually the only realistic one of all. Ticketmaster is a business and is legally required to keep their customers' information private unless authorized to do so with their "partners." So UNT would have to become an affinity partner or something with Ticketmaster, and then each given customer who purchased UNT tickets from Ticketmaster would have to opt in to receive special offers and such from UNT.

Not impossible when you think about it, but not something very likely to happen any time soon.

So explain this to me, Just about every time I do a search for something on the internet, (for example travel trailers). and I finish looking at a product (Forest River for example) and then go back to my yahoo mail page, or even GMG page, I'll get pop-up ads for every local business that sells Forest River RV's AND their daily specials.

Are you saying that the same thing does not happen every time someone goes to the North Texas athletic dept web-site and looks up information about Mean Green sports?