MGC Numbers + Estimated FB Season Tickets Sold

greenit

Provocative? Na. Provocative would be if Flyonthewall posted that. When I post it, the people that know me and my financial reality simply roll with laughter.

I used to be able to throw out the "oh ya? Beer" defense of the club level, but that was taken away. There is always the chance for me to run elbows with RV and Benford... Uh... On second thought, never mind about that. I guess I'll have to stick with the cheesecake advantage. Ask Thor, that's huge.

And you are right, if I was a TCU fan, I would be paying as much for 20 yard line seats as I do for club seats at UNT. So I guess I should be more happy we perpetually suck?

Provocative? Na. Provocative would be if Flyonthewall posted that. When I post it, the people that know me and my financial reality simply roll with laughter.

I used to be able to throw out the "oh ya? Beer" defense of the club level, but that was taken away. There is always the chance for me to run elbows with RV and Benford... Uh... On second thought, never mind about that. I guess I'll have to stick with the cheesecake advantage. Ask Thor, that's huge.

And you are right, if I was a TCU fan, I would be paying as much for 20 yard line seats as I do for club seats at UNT. So I guess I should be more happy we perpetually suck?

I almost mentioned the cheesecake advantage earlier, but didn't want to sound like a foodie organhead...but...that cheesecake is awesome...

You only have those seats to impress you lady...nice move...

Edited by THOR

2500 as a goal for MGC membership seems like two poor realities are the real options:

1.) It is a number that should be reasonable to attain because it just won't take much effort or thought, which is easy to show to a BOR that just wants to tell the flyonthewall's of the UNT world that we are trying to use his money for something.

2.) It is a number that we cannot attain--that it is our shoot for the moon, wild-ass goal. This is the more depressing one--if this is true, out of the 200k supposed local alumni, the 36k student body that has a decent sized faculty, all surrounded by millions of other people in the DFW area, if the absolute pie-in-the-sky goal of 2500 people to the MGC is the best you could ever hope to attain (and I don't doubt it, by the way), why do you even try to have a FBS level program? Either you cannot win this war or you aren't winning this war--either way, what you are doing is just not working--at all.

If I was our AD, today, I'd do the following:

Tell the BOR I am going public with every single number we deal with--attendance, season ticket holders, MGC contributors, and total budget. This is to show the world what we have, what we don't have, and what we want to improve upon. I also make it known which sources of donors we are given by the university and which ones we need to be given.

Second thing I do is I call every single MWC team and every single AAC team besides SMU and tell them I want to schedule home-and-home series right now for as long out as I can. Then I tell our fans that we are going to have 6 games a year at home as soon as possible. I focus on New Mexico, Colorado State, AFA, BYU, Boise State, and Fresno State out west, as well as Tulsa, UH, Tulane, Memphis, USF, UCF, and Cincy as my targets in that conference. With Army and our bodybag game, we should be able to have 6 games a year at Apogee.

Third thing I do is make sure that all bodybag games we play in the future DO NOT involve any of the T-shirt schools anywhere near here. No more games in Austin, College Station, Lubbock, Norman, Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, or Tuscaloosa. When we lose these games, everyone in the local press and those that attend UNT but really grew up loving those schools as "their" team get to feel like they have a valid reason not to have UNT as their team. So, going forward, games against Big ten teams, Pac-12 teams, and ACC teams are the only bodybag games we play.

The last thing I do is go to any media outlet that will have me and acknowledge that our school has done a really poor job of connecting to the alumni and general sports fans in the DFW area and that by doing everything I just mentioned above, it is to show everyone that we aren't following the same path we always have. We realize that actions speak louder than words, but these three things are going to be ways that will allow us to get rid of coachse who aren't winning before there is one year left on their contract, that we want our fans to know that 6 home games is what to always expect and those OOC games are no longer going to be against FCS or SBC schools ever again.

Finally, I'll go back to my AD office and wait to hear the BOR call that fires me for having the audacity to think athletics should ever have that kind of visibility to this university....and then collect my buyout and my severance package that precludes me from ever talking about UNT sports publically ever again...profit!!

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Also remember that beer is a dollar cheaper in the club. There's a commoner tax on beer in the concourse. But yeah, count me in on loving the view from the club and having the option for the indoor environment when the weather is bad. Also, we've learned the pull up tables and chairs behind the seats on the outdoor terrace for convenient food and drink placement while watching the game.

2500 as a goal for MGC membership seems like two poor realities are the real options:

1.) It is a number that should be reasonable to attain because it just won't take much effort or thought, which is easy to show to a BOR that just wants to tell the flyonthewall's of the UNT world that we are trying to use his money for something.

2.) It is a number that we cannot attain--that it is our shoot for the moon, wild-ass goal. This is the more depressing one--if this is true, out of the 200k supposed local alumni, the 36k student body that has a decent sized faculty, all surrounded by millions of other people in the DFW area, if the absolute pie-in-the-sky goal of 2500 people to the MGC is the best you could ever hope to attain (and I don't doubt it, by the way), why do you even try to have a FBS level program? Either you cannot win this war or you aren't winning this war--either way, what you are doing is just not working--at all.

If I was our AD, today, I'd do the following:

Tell the BOR I am going public with every single number we deal with--attendance, season ticket holders, MGC contributors, and total budget. This is to show the world what we have, what we don't have, and what we want to improve upon. I also make it known which sources of donors we are given by the university and which ones we need to be given.

Second thing I do is I call every single MWC team and every single AAC team besides SMU and tell them I want to schedule home-and-home series right now for as long out as I can. Then I tell our fans that we are going to have 6 games a year at home as soon as possible. I focus on New Mexico, Colorado State, AFA, BYU, Boise State, and Fresno State out west, as well as Tulsa, UH, Tulane, Memphis, USF, UCF, and Cincy as my targets in that conference. With Army and our bodybag game, we should be able to have 6 games a year at Apogee.

Third thing I do is make sure that all bodybag games we play in the future DO NOT involve any of the T-shirt schools anywhere near here. No more games in Austin, College Station, Lubbock, Norman, Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, or Tuscaloosa. When we lose these games, everyone in the local press and those that attend UNT but really grew up loving those schools as "their" team get to feel like they have a valid reason not to have UNT as their team. So, going forward, games against Big ten teams, Pac-12 teams, and ACC teams are the only bodybag games we play.

The last thing I do is go to any media outlet that will have me and acknowledge that our school has done a really poor job of connecting to the alumni and general sports fans in the DFW area and that by doing everything I just mentioned above, it is to show everyone that we aren't following the same path we always have. We realize that actions speak louder than words, but these three things are going to be ways that will allow us to get rid of coachse who aren't winning before there is one year left on their contract, that we want our fans to know that 6 home games is what to always expect and those OOC games are no longer going to be against FCS or SBC schools ever again.

Finally, I'll go back to my AD office and wait to hear the BOR call that fires me for having the audacity to think athletics should ever have that kind of visibility to this university....and then collect my buyout and my severance package that precludes me from ever talking about UNT sports publically ever again...profit!!

Aside from the last paragraph, I would suggest you send this to our next AD on his first day of employment, along with an explanation about our culture.

The problem is the current AD will never do this because he realizes he doesn't have job opportunities that will pay him near what he is making at UNT, so he is in full job protection mode.

Great ideas, one and all, that you will NEVER see occur at UNT.

But I fear the only candidates we will attract for the next AD hire are retreads looking fora comfortable place with low expectations where they can get away with doing very little while retaining their job.

I would bet that is our reputation amongst college ADs and coaches.

Edited by UNT90

UNTJim, Great post. I love the ideas and solutions to today's issues. This should be sent to the BOR now.

The really scary part is that a spare poster like myself on some fansite can see this, but the BOR either refuses to see it or does see it and willfully chooses to ignore it. Either way, it is poor judgement.

The really scary part is that a spare poster like myself on some fansite can see this, but the BOR either refuses to see it or does see it and willfully chooses to ignore it. Either way, it is poor judgement.

More than likely, other than Kuehne they are not Mean Green fans. Its kind of like an additional hour to shop at the mall for Christmas. It's there for them to have free access to if they want but more than likely won't.

Rick

More than likely, other than Kuehne they are not Mean Green fans. Its kind of like an additional hour to shop at the mall for Christmas. It's there for them to have free access to if they want but more than likely won't.

Rick

Kuehne is not currently a member of the BOR.

Resigned in frustration? ;-)

Nope...see me personally sometime if you are really interested.

Like perhaps at a basketball game...you know where my seats are.... :-)

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 1

Rick

And the BOR will never be that way--ever. This is a liberal arts school first, a teachers college second, and a value degree school third. The BOR will always be made up of those areas' votes...

Athletics will never matter here--there's too much history, both long ago and today, that proves the point. The only person that is gone from a 4-8 season is the DC who said he was retiring months before the season ended. The men's hoops team has been pile-driven into the ground since JJ left three seasons ago, yet no changes on staff, and the women's coach is being called Shanice Petersen, so that tells you all you need to know.

My Alma Mater doesn't care a lick about sports the way I do. It is what it is. It's never gonna change. We can all still

Bleed green and support our teams, but in the end, the BOR and admin want us to be that wonderful liberal arts and music school that started as an educators college, and offers a great value. It's who we are and it's in the DNA of the school and of the town. It just has to be accepted at this point. Nothing we can do about it...