Heart of Dallas Bowl

NT03

I can't believe people are pushing Dawg fans to Fort Worth - Armed Forces Bowl maybe but seriously get out and explore. Can't go wrong with any of the following:

Hotels

Omni - great base

Crescent Court - near uptown

Mansion on Turtle Creek - near uptown more secluded and luxury

Hotel ZaZa - cool and hip edgy hotel

Ritz Carlton - walking distance to uptown and can jump on the trolley up to West Village

All of these hotels are a short train ride to the Cotton Bowl or quick easy less than 15 minute drive

Sites

JFK Sixth Floor Museum

Nasher Sculpture Center

Dallas Museum of Art

Entertainment

Dallas Mavs game

Dallas Stars game

Klyde Warren Park - if nice out the food trucks are awesome and can relax in the park

Main Street - bars and clubs - lazy, pub style and hip

Elm Street - more bars

West Village - great restaurants and shopping

Northpark - excellent shopping mall and nice holiday decorations/setups

McKinney Avenue - plenty of bars and restaurants - fun zone

Deep Ellum - some excellent bars, coffee shops and restaurants - fun hip Austin vibe zone - great beer halls and brewery too

Pecan Lodge at Deep Ellum - fantastic

Fair Park - on gameday there are some excellent craft beer bars across the street from the Fair Park area - Exposition I believe

Take a jaunt to Fort Worth if you want as there are great places in Sundance Square. Hit Six Flags Holiday In the Park in Arlington. Take a tour of Jerryworld which is cool.

Enjoy our fine cities and beat the heck out of Illinois. You guys have an outstanding squad this year. I hope to be there cheering on the conference too.

GMG

I would add the Perot Museum and the Dallas Aquarium to your list of sites. Both are in the heart of downtown.

Also, the Knox/Henderson and lower Greenville areas have a ton of great places to eat and have a solid nightlife scene.

Just depends on what you want. Want an L.A. experience? Head to Dallas.

Want a Texas experience? Head to Fort Worth.

Also much more compact and easier to get to attractions around downtown FW.

He's one of our greatest fans and all but you could drop NM Green into the Heart of Mogadishu and his report back here would sound like he just spent a week in Vegas.

Just saying.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Seeing as La Tech is in Ruston, and I done drove through that fine hamlet last fall, I'd suggest they'd feel most at home lodging in Lewisville. We have Dairy Queen, Waffle House, and Steak N' Shake. We even have liquor stores now!

Uber ride from Lewisville to DART is about $11 each way, so they can train it into Fair Park without concern of getting jacked in the parking lot. (No, seriously, that last part about Fair Park ain't no joke. I avoid driving and/or parking there)

To seriously address the Dallas/FW thing, Dallas will probably be more upscale an with more options, but will cost more and you'll have to drive to pretty much everything unless you confine your antics to a small area in Downtown. Fort Worth will cost less, and if you stay in Sundance Square, will offer a multitude of activities without ever setting foot in a vehicle. Thing is, will the train run from Fort Worth on game day? If so, I'd high advise going with that option. See above about my opinions on driving and parking in and around Fair Park.

• Upvote 1

Don't stay in Fort Worth for HoD bowl. Public transit will take a very long time, I say this because I know, I live in Fort Worth and have to work in Dallas sometimes. I love Fort Worth but if you are in town for HoD there are plenty of things to do in Dallas to keep you occupied and you won't have to take 45-60 minutes getting to the game. That being said I take offense to AAU saying Fort Worth is only for country boys. Fort Worth's downtown is definitely more walkable and better than Dallas's. Dallas is a commute to work and leave type city because of high real estate costs there but there is enough to do for a weekend stay there.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

Don't stay in Fort Worth for HoD bowl. Public transit will take a very long time, I say this because I know, I live in Fort Worth and have to work in Dallas sometimes. I love Fort Worth but if you are in town for HoD there are plenty of things to do in Dallas to keep you occupied and you won't have to take 45-60 minutes getting to the game. That being said I take offense to AAU saying Fort Worth is only for country boys. Fort Worth's downtown is definitely more walkable and better than Dallas'. Dallas is a commute to work and leave type city because of high real estate costs there but there is enough to do for a weekend stay there.

Not many people live in "downtown" Dallas, but there's a ton of living spaces in Uptown, Deep Ellum, Knox/Henderson, Lower Greenville and around SMU. I have nothing against Ft. Worth. I love going out there once in awhile, but Dallas just has so much more to do.

• Upvote 1

Not many people live in "downtown" Dallas, but there's a ton of living spaces in Uptown, Deep Ellum, Knox/Henderson, Lower Greenville and around SMU. I have nothing against Ft. Worth. I love going out there once in awhile, but Dallas just has so much more to do.

There is plenty to do in either city, just different things. It depends on what your preferences are.

Thing is, will the train run from Fort Worth on game day? If so, I'd high advise going with that option. See above about my opinions on driving and parking in and around Fair Park.

The TRE should be running its normal schedule on Friday December 26th. Same with DART.

The whole Dallas vs. Fort Worth thing is pretty dumb in my opinion anyways. I've lived in both now and to outsiders it's all just D-FW. It does just come down to preference. I will say though I'm assuming most of the posters on here don't live in the city limits of either, DFW is heavy bedroom communities. Just don't stay in the suburbs for a visit, stay close to the downtown area of either and you'll be fine. Also try to avoid staying in Fair Park as tempting as those cheap hotel rates and close proximity to the stadium might be ;)

True Rick but they play in the Cotton Bowl stadium....not Jerry World. I wouldn't have wanted to stay in Dallas for the Superbowl either

The Texas T train runs from just south of downtown Fort Worth to the main train station in Dallas. From there, hop on the correct Dart train and you are at the Cotton bowl.

And über ride is probably under $7 from your downtown hotel, although you could probably get the hotel shuttle to drop you off.

Just depends on what you want. Personally, i'd stay in Fort Worth and head over for the game.

Edited by UNT90

As much as I prefer Fort Worth night life (it's just easier, cheaper, and less about being seen) over Dallas, the commute to Fair Park from Fort Worth would be a freaking beating.

And as much of a headache it is to park at Fair Park, don't stay nearby as others have said...

Here is a list of hotels on the DART metro lines (some of these are "near" the line, like Hyatt Regency, but I'm kinda lazy).

And here is a public transit map of downtown Dallas

Fair Park is on the Green Line if I'm not mistaken.

For the HOF bowl, you should stay in Dallas and I'm a member of the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce! I suggest finding out what the team hotel/headquarters will be and stay there. There will be LOT of activities for the fans of the teams. If you want the feel of real, old west Texas, come to Fort Worth and visit the Stockyards then come to Sundance Square for a 21st century entertainment experience. But, 1. there won't be much HOF bowl activity in Fort Worth and 2. it's going to take you 45 minutes to drive to the Cotton Bowl and every single freeway between Dallas and Fort Worth has construction going on right now!

Fort Worth has it's own bowl and there will be lots of activities in town related to that!

• Upvote 2

I may just go to this game if I can get some cheap tickets.

I wonder if it's $75 via the La Tech athletic department and $30 via the Cotton Bowl box office.

Edit: Endzone seats are $25. I'd probably buy those then walk up to the upper deck until somebody told me otherwise.

Edited by oldguystudent

I wonder if it's $75 via the La Tech athletic department and $30 via the Cotton Bowl box office.

Edit: Endzone seats are $25. I'd probably buy those then walk up to the upper deck until somebody told me otherwise.

The Groupons...they're a comin'

• Upvote 2