Don't panic yet

Southern Mississippi has only won two games as well: one against Alcorn State, the other against move-up Appalachian State...and, that one by just one point.

I'd say if we can't handle this Southern Miss team at home, then it'd be time to hit eject.

For this reason alone, I say start Dajon, but keep him on a short leash. Southern Miss is terrible. And, if we are going to have any hope of Dajon regaining the confidence he had after the Nicholls State scrimmage (sorry, I refuse to call that a game), this horrible USM team gives him that opportunity.

After the last two games, it's difficult to know exactly how dumbed down the playbook has to be for Dajon to be successful. But, whatever it is, get it down there. If it comes down to "student-body-left, student-body right" get it down there.

And, here's the other reason why: the offensive line, recipients of much offseason praise and love, needs to go out and earn those accolades! And, there's no better way to do that than a really dumbed down playbook that challenged the physical-ness of our line versus our opponent's.

All of that being said, if it becomes apparent after a quarter or so that Dajon cannot handle even the most dumb of dumbdowned playbook calls, hand the reigns to Daddy-Scholie Boy and pray for that offensive line to live up to those preseason expectations.

If we can't beat Southern Miss, then Katy bar the door...we will be deluged for the rest of the season...and, by pretty mediocre competition, unfortunately.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Southern Mississippi has only won two games as well: one against Alcorn State, the other against move-up Appalachian State...and, that one by just one point.

I'd say if we can't handle this Southern Miss team at home, then it'd be time to hit eject.

For this reason alone, I say start Dajon, but keep him on a short leash. Southern Miss is terrible. And, if we are going to have any hope of Dajon regaining the confidence he had after the Nicholls State scrimmage (sorry, I refuse to call that a game), this horrible USM team gives him that opportunity.

After the last two games, it's difficult to know exactly how dumbed down the playbook has to be for Dajon to be successful. But, whatever it is, get it down there. If it comes down to "student-body-left, student-body right" get it down there.

And, here's the other reason why: the offensive line, recipients of much offseason praise and love, needs to go out and earn those accolades! And, there's no better way to do that than a really dumbed down playbook that challenged the physical-ness of our line versus our opponent's.

All of that being said, if it becomes apparent after a quarter or so that Dajon cannot handle even the most dumb of dumbdowned playbook calls, hand the reigns to Daddy-Scholie Boy and pray for that offensive line to live up to those preseason expectations.

If we can't beat Southern Miss, then Katy bar the door...we will be deluged for the rest of the season...and, by pretty mediocre competition, unfortunately.

I agree with you with a slight alteration. I think you have to throw in some tunnel screens, play action to TE's, something to get completions. Not a lot of them mind you, just something to get him confident that he can complete a pass...to us.

• Upvote 3

While I still believe we win this game on Saturday, don't discount this Southern Miss team. They are an improved team from the one we've witnessed over the previous two seasons. Two of their losses are to #1 Mississippi State and #7 Alabama. Their other two loses are to Rice and MUTS, probably top 4 CUSA teams. That Rice game was a 4 point affair towards the end of the 3Q, and the 6 point loss to MUTS on the road is evidence that this USM team is better than the Golden Eagle squad we encountered on our road trip to Hattiesburg last season. Lastly, Southern Miss is coming of an open week where they've had additional time to game plan for the Mean Green.

Unlike the previous six outings that were lopsided one way or another, I expect this contest to be a dog fight decided in the fourth quarter with the good guys showing their mettle and coming out on top

Agreed - huge game this week for sure with three Texas road trips and two home games against the F_U twins remaining

Edited by 10Eagle10
  • Upvote 3

While I still believe we win this game on Saturday, don't discount this Southern Miss team. They are an improved team from the one we've witnessed over the previous two seasons. Two of their losses are to #1 Mississippi State and #7 Alabama. Their other two loses are to Rice and MUTS, probably top 4 CUSA teams. That Rice game was a 4 point affair towards the end of the 3Q, and the 6 point loss to MUTS on the road is evidence that this USM team is better than the Golden Eagle squad we encountered on our road trip to Hattiesburg last season. Lastly, Southern Miss is coming of an open week where they've had additional time to game plan for the Mean Green.

I expect this contest to be a dog fight decided in the fourth quarter, our first such game of the year, with the good guys showing their mettle and coming out on top

Huge game this week for sure with three Texas road trips and two home games against the F_U twins remaining

I can agree with that. This is the game of the year, then.

This looks like the easiest game remaining on the schedule, but that doesn't mean a victory the way this team has played. They have been blown out by two great teams, Alabama and Miss State: NT has been blown out by La Tech, UAB and Indiana.

Although a win over USM would be a start, I doubt one win over another struggling team is going to re-excite many.

Although a win over USM would be a start, I doubt one win over another struggling team is going to re-excite many.

We have only struggling teams left...one win over a struggling team may not get people excited, but 6 wins over struggling teams? Yeah, that would probably work out just fine.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

There is six games left people....get rid of to in the last two games and theyre different.. maybe not wins but def more entertaining... if we can keep from shooting ourselves in the foot i think we can compete and win in most of these games...

You're not wrong. So...get out there and kick a little ass! Do it for Johnny!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Basically, you just defined Denton's feelings toward UNT Football for forever...

I didn't want it to happen this way. I was truly worried about the team after the UT game and further-still after the SMU game (yes, I know we crushed SMU, but they did a great job of beating themselves, too). I felt a twinge of panic during the La Tech game. I felt a little better after the Nicholls State scrimmage. But then Indiana exposed what this team is -- or what it isn't. And UAB wrapped it up and put a bow on it.

Simply, we're not good. And we're probably not going to be any good this year. And that's okay.

Every other sports team I follow sucks, too. And I'll still be supportive. I'll still attend away games at Rice & UTSA and make my annual pilgrimage to Denton for Homecoming. But I'm not doing any of it to see a win.

• Upvote 1