UTSA feels the championship fever leading into North Texas

Harry

Well, at least there is some humorous stuff in this thread. First, what in the heck is going on here? Have not witnessed this sort of thing about any other team or from any other team's fan base. Really amazing. It's a college football game and it is supposed to be fun. Some of you seem to be taking this a bit too personal. UNT has a long and proud history, and is moving forward toward tier one status. UTSA is a newer university just really beginning to create its history. Good for them, and good for us. We are now in the same conference, and, for me, I couldn't be happier to have an in-state rival close enough to drive to located in a great Texas city. How long has it been that we have wanted some Texas schools in our conference? Now we have Rice, UTEP and UTSA. That is a very good thing in my opinion.

So, how about we all get into the game and enjoy it? It is college football after all. So, let's welcome our conference mates, UTSA in a friendly manner and have a great game. Let's also be nice during and after the game as we wish our UTSA friends better luck next time and thank them for coming to beautiful Apogee and UNT for the game. We'll congratulate them on their win over Tulane as it is something we were not able to accomplish. Hopefully, they will congratulate us on our CUSA conference title and wish us well in our post-season bowl game.

Let's keep it classy and keep it fun. It should be a fun Mean Green day, Saturday...should. But, the game will be decided on the playing field not between some over zealous fans on a message board. God, do I ever hope our players have better things to be focusing on right now. This will be no UTEP walk-over. These guys are coming to play and have a chance at a 6 win season. They will, of course, leave with that chance shattered, but at this point, that is yet to be determined.

Welcome to Denton, to UNT and to Apogee to all our Roadrunner friends. I promise you that I won't judge the UTSA fan base by the zealots on their fan board if they promise not to judge ours by those posting here. It is a fan board after all. It is silly that opposing fans sign up and post here...and post smack and then think the response they get is symbolic of the entire fan base? Odd. I am glad folks are proud of their various universities. But, folks.....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Well, at least there is some humorous stuff in this thread. First, what in the heck is going on here? Have not witnessed this sort of thing about any other team or from any other team's fan base. Really amazing. It's a college football game and it is supposed to be fun. Some of you seem to be taking this a bit too personal. UNT has a long and proud history, and is moving forward toward tier one status. UTSA is a newer university just really beginning to create its history. Good for them, and good for us. We are now in the same conference, and, for me, I couldn't be happier to have an in-state rival close enough to drive to located in a great Texas city. How long has it been that we have wanted some Texas schools in our conference? Now we have Rice, UTEP and UTSA. That is a very good thing in my opinion.

So, how about we all get into the game and enjoy it? It is college football after all. So, let's welcome our conference mates, UTSA in a friendly manner and have a great game. Let's also be nice during and after the game as we wish our UTSA friends better luck next time and thank them for coming to beautiful Apogee and UNT for the game. We'll congratulate them on their win over Tulane as it is something we were not able to accomplish. Hopefully, they will congratulate us on our CUSA conference title and wish us well in our post-season bowl game.

Let's keep it classy and keep it fun. It should be a fun Mean Green day, Saturday...should. But, the game will be decided on the playing field not between some over zealous fans on a message board. God, do I ever hope our players have better things to be focusing on right now. This will be no UTEP walk-over. These guys are coming to play and have a chance at a 6 win season. They will, of course, leave with that chance shattered, but at this point, that is yet to be determined.

Welcome to Denton, to UNT and to Apogee to all our Roadrunner friends. I promise you that I won't judge the UTSA fan base by the zealots on their fan board if they promise not to judge ours by those posting here. It is a fan board after all. It is silly that opposing fans sign up and post here...and post smack and then think the response they get is symbolic of the entire fan base? Odd. I am glad folks are proud of their various universities. But, folks.....

Really good post. Hopefully no one takes anything personally and just enjoys the brewing rivalry. Thanks for taking the bet Harry!

• Upvote 2

Winning out on a recruit or two doesn't reflect one way or the other on a program. Arguing that it does is indicative of someone who is new to college sports.

facepalm-anim.gif

What do you suggest we go by then Mr. Ive been in college football for 100 years, the opinion of biased UNT fans? Biased UTSA fans? These recruits are unbiased and have a full-ride to either university and are choosing UTSA over UNT. If UNT was clearly superior that wouldnt be the case.

I've been called a dummy by a Houstonite and on boards by guys like correcamino.

Who called anyone a dummy? What is this 1952?

You called it before I could.

Seriously though, I can't tell which of correcamino's posts are intended as "stir-the-pot smack talk" and which ones are serious. Maybe some more obvious written sarcasm might help, I dunno, just spitballing here, but it's hard to take you seriously when I can't tell which posts are tongue-in-cheek and which ones are supposed to be believed as Gospel Truth or actual argument/debate.

As to the few hundred fans they're bringing...I may again get the big stiffie from my fellow North Texans (ouchie), but I really hope they bring a TON of people to Apogee. Even beyond the whole "let's create a rivalry" thing...part of the point of having in-state conference mates is to boost attendance and ticket sales, as well as making us ALL look good on the (ohmygodimgoingtosayit) all-important TV market so that viewers don't see empty stands for CUSA games, no matter WHO is hosting. I hope the smack talk about travel base is just intended to bring more people, because every seat filled and every dollar spent helps benefit our program as well as the conference. Hell, I hope they bring 5K and fill the wing section and make a ton of noise and make this game even bigger. If we win by 1 point but have an amazing crowd and bring in the bucks and look great for what will hopefully be a few ESPN highlights, I'll be happy. Of course I'd love another win by a gigantic margin, but if it's a squeaker and we get all of those other things, we win in many other ways.

• Upvote 1

What do you suggest we go by then Mr. Ive been in college football for 100 years, the opinion of biased UNT fans? Biased UTSA fans? These recruits are unbiased and have a full-ride to either university and are choosing UTSA over UNT. If UNT was clearly superior that wouldnt be the case.

So then, by your definition, if we got a recruit that also had offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Colorado, and Texas Tech, we must be the best football program out of that list. We're also the best basketball school out of Baylor, Kansas State, Marquette, Missouri State, and Oklahoma State. I learned something new.

I hope the smack talk about travel base is just intended to bring more people, because every seat filled and every dollar spent helps benefit our program as well as the conference.

The closer we get to game time, the more I feel like UTSA won't bring that many people. It's something to do on a Saturday in San Antonio, but that's most likely the extent of their fandom.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

facepalm-anim.gif

Please don't ever use Picard in any of your posts ever. He doesn't approve.

• Upvote 2

facepalm-anim.gif

So the lure of immediate playing time at a fledgling program never crossed your mind?

Are you the kid from Sling Blade?

• Upvote 2