New Mexico vs Boise State

DeepGreen

Watching the game, looked at the on-line rosters of both teams and see that many players come from Texas.  It would be interesting to see how many other Texas players are on the other MWC teams.

Boise State - 9 Texans

New Mexico - 17 Texans

Why isn't UNT an option for some these players? MWC?  UNT losing?

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Watching the game, looked at the on-line rosters of both teams and see that many players come from Texas.  It would be interesting to see how many other Texas players are on the other MWC teams.

Boise State - 9 Texans

New Mexico - 17 Texans

Why isn't UNT an option for some these players? MWC?  UNT losing?

Because Boise is still a big name school that has produced NFL players, and that wins.. 

Doesnt hurt having 3 Boise State guys in the Cowboys defenses either that are big names (Crawford, Lawerence, Orlando) 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

interestingly enough, during the broadcast last night, the announcers mentioned New Mexico was under an NCAA investigation. It's unclear whether it's related to football, but it sounded like something about player treatment.

Most likely the player mistreatment was the lost to New Mexico State.  We are victims now.

4 minutes ago, LongJim said:

I thought it was interesting that Boise State's stadium was at less than capacity for the game.

Thursday night game, and even big giant P5s are suffering a loss of fans in the stadium.  Too expensive, uncomfortable, no booze (in some conferences), crappy cell service (for the young 'uns) and waaay more comfortable to watch on TV at home with cheap beer and no bathroom lines.  There are a number of articles out on this. 

Edited by oldguystudent

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

To suggest that this is why Boise State wins recruits over Texas college teams is new to me.  IMO this is a huge reach but maybe I'm out of touch.

Most recruits have been "the man" growing up & think they can play in the NFL.   They want to go to a school that can get them there.   Boise St. churns out NFL players every year.  
It's far away from home & in the middle of nowhere, but if the players think their scheme will benefit them on their path to the NFL, they'll go there.

22 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Thursday night game, and even big giant P5s are suffering a loss of fans in the stadium.  Too expensive, uncomfortable, no booze (in some conferences), crappy cell service (for the young 'uns) and waaay more comfortable to watch on TV at home with cheap beer and no bathroom lines.  There are a number of articles out on this. 

Those are just excuses, right? 

*insert grin here*

• Upvote 1

Someone at Boise State had a smart recruiting idea many years ago. Idaho turns out 1 to 4 FBS recruits a year and not exactly loaded with recruits within an easy drive.

So they focused on players who were close to an airport that offered direct flights to Boise. I've not checked since Harsin took over, but if you mapped their recruits several years ago, they came from places close to those airports with very few exceptions.

That's one of the things fans and AD's don't always get. The formula that works for Coach X at School Y may not translate for your school.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

43 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Someone at Boise State had a smart recruiting idea many years ago. Idaho turns out 1 to 4 FBS recruits a year and not exactly loaded with recruits within an easy drive.

So they focused on players who were close to an airport that offered direct flights to Boise. I've not checked since Harsin took over, but if you mapped their recruits several years ago, they came from places close to those airports with very few exceptions.

That's one of the things fans and AD's don't always get. The formula that works for Coach X at School Y may not translate for your school.

Yeah, since DFW is saturated with talent we should do an oppo theory of Boise...Leave our heavily bogged down talent area and travel to rural isolated places that have a direct flight from Dallas and scourge the ground for players in 1-2 mile radius of airports in Nowhere, America. 

• Downvote 6

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, since DFW is saturated with talent we should do an oppo theory of Boise...Leave our heavily bogged down talent area and travel to rural isolated places that have a direct flight from Dallas and scourge the ground for players in 1-2 mile radius of airports in Nowhere, America. 

Huh?

As I said, what works at one school doesn't translate to other schools.

However, given the number of cities with direct flight to Dallas, it might be an improvement

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

As I said, what works at one school doesn't translate to other schools.

I suspect there are years where Denton county generates more FBS players than the entire state of Idaho. Boise's approach would make no sense for NT. 

While we need to improve our recruiting, comparing ourselves to Boise, NMU, NMSU, Wyoming or even UTEP doesn't make sense. All of those schools are in relatively remote areas with limited numbers of local players from which to recruit. Just saying NonTexas U has X number of players "from" Texas really doesn't tell anything. Yes, they went to HS here, but we have no idea what prompted them to want to go to the middle of no where Idaho. They could have family there, a girl friend, a boy friend, they really like to ski, the total cost of going to school - just the recruiting is only the first step in the decision making process. 

Again, right now, for the last 12 years, with the exception of a few Dodge recruits, the level of recruits we have here is not due to our location or our conference or our stadium. It has everything to do with being  a disappointment of a program that has no credibility with the people that influence recruits here in Texas. I'll never forget talking to a few friends who coached in TX HIgh schools when Dodge came here in 2007--they all truly believed he had better talent and support at Southlake HS than here. When he lost mightily here, many of them felt it was just as much because of UNT as it was Dodge. When McCarney got here, they really liked him as a man and the way he talked to them about being coaches...but his offense was an ender for most of them. The dead-ass last recruiting class AFTER the HoD Bow win was symptomatic of this problem--recruits wouldn't choose us over other FBS offers in the region. SL hasn't shown the ability to change it yet--maybe he will, but not yet. If he can, he's gonna be here for a long time or coaching somewhere higher up the food chain. But if not, those TX HS recruits are still going to look at as the same old fallback school as they have for many, many years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, golfingomez said:

interestingly enough, during the broadcast last night, the announcers mentioned New Mexico was under an NCAA investigation. It's unclear whether it's related to football, but it sounded like something about player treatment.

I would've thought NMSU would be under investigation for the mistreatment of opposing fans.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because Boise is still a big name school that has produced NFL players, and that wins.. 

Doesnt hurt having 3 Boise State guys in the Cowboys defenses either that are big names (Crawford, Lawerence, Orlando) 

My brother in law lives in Boise, and is a big fan like so many in that, the largest city within many a mile.  And really, beautiful country.  I took him to a couple of UNT games, and was less interested in the game that we won (barely, against South Alabama), than the game we lost (against SMU last year).  Even watching then qb Derek Thompson, he described us, in so many words, as "ok, but not up to Division 1 passing".  Last year's game,  against SMU  at home, at least gave us a glimmer of what a good passing game could be (the Kelvin Smith acrobatic touchdown catch, etc.).  I still think SL can get this thing going if he becomes more directly involved in the offense. It's amazing what else people will put up with if your offense can light it up.

• Upvote 2

On 9/15/2017 at 2:18 AM, greenminer said:

To suggest that this is why Boise State wins recruits over Texas college teams is new to me.  IMO this is a huge reach but maybe I'm out of touch.

i'm suggesting that its one of many reasons kids would likely pass over UNT for Boise...

Winning and games on National TV...

NFL Production in terms of draftees and UDFA...

Boise is viewed as a winner becuase its past decade and UNT has been to 2 HoD Bowls in that time..

Again these can be viewed as "excuses" but this are all true, ontop of them likely having better coaches/recruiters as well. I hope that UNT can turn it around be a Boise State/TCU but we have to get our problems in house fixed before we worry about losing kids to Boise compared to losing them to UTSA