Why North Texas needs to run the triple option

Ben Gooding

I have never given any thought to running the triple option, but that doesn't mean that we can't. What ever we have been  selling the recruits aren't buying. Perhaps we need to come up with a new "product" as suggested , change our focus, and fish in a  pool of above average players whose skill set is better suited to the wishbone.Not my decision, but food for thought.

• Upvote 1

This will expose me for the dinosaur I am.  I get enjoyment out of controlling the ball, moving the chains inexorably toward paydirt, throwing enough to keep the opponent honest, and keeping our defense on the sideline. This can also get to be very ugly if you don't take care of the ball, execute and block.  Give me the first scenario if you can; if not, run the modern aerial circus and play defense 35 minutes per game.

• Upvote 1

Paul Johnson changes his blocking schemes to counter all the "just do X to stop the option" things. And there are a lot of those. "Just" hit the QB. "Just" key the pitch. As any good coach does, he adjusts. He'll read the DT, he'll zone block, he'll man block. He'll change the angles. 

Count me among the "just a good coach" crowd. Auburn runs the ball a ton, and it uses a lot of old school option concepts. I'd be fine with that. We shouldn't be so concerned with scheme.  Anyone remember when Guy Morris took over Baylor and was going to throw it around like Mike Leach? They had *some* success but nothing amazing. Art Briles came through and actually transformed the program. 

We want someone that can build a program, and even if they run the triple option, it should be part of a larger identity change. Kind of like how Bob Davie is using it, but really changing the whole program at UNM

UTSA fan...read this post. The triple option is far deeper than you would apparently ever imagine. The DE is just a tiny part of it. When ran right it really is a beautiful thing to witness. 

This will expose me for the dinosaur I am.  I get enjoyment out of controlling the ball, moving the chains inexorably toward paydirt, throwing enough to keep the opponent honest, and keeping our defense on the sideline. This can also get to be very ugly if you don't take care of the ball, execute and block.  Give me the first scenario if you can; if not, run the modern aerial circus and play defense 35 minutes per game.

Then you wwould like the triple option. It's a winning formula. We can all bicker back and forth but we all want to see our university claim W's on the field. This is a proven formula to do just that. Recruiting for this system in the state of Texas will be like "stealing candy from a baby." We can plug and go year in and year out. The naysayers in about 2 years from now would be on the bandwagon waving the triple option flag. Bank on it. 

• Upvote 1

Gotta disagree @UTSA Fan.  Paul Johnson makes it work.

I believe you when you say you played at Lewisville, but I still have to second guess your understanding of how it works and why Johnson does it so successfully and consistently.

Size is not an issue.  What makes the Triple O work are numbers and speed.  That's why you still see it in college ball, and why you don't see it in the NFL.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

How about this quote from the Tulsa coach after giving up 469 rushing yards to Navy this weekend:

“You don’t see that style of offense (but) once a year, if you’re playing them,” Hurricane coach Philip Montgomery said. “And if not, you’re not ever going to see it. You can go years without seeing it.”

Nick Saban and I agree.

Rick

How about this quote from the Tulsa coach after giving up 469 rushing yards to Navy this weekend:

“You don’t see that style of offense (but) once a year, if you’re playing them,” Hurricane coach Philip Montgomery said. “And if not, you’re not ever going to see it. You can go years without seeing it.”

This is exactly right.  

Had Dodge simply installed a 3 play package to counter his spread to pick up short yardage situations he'd either still be here or hired away to a P5 by now.

So frustrating!

Rick

• Downvote 1

Nice thing about it is in era where the focus has to be on the secondary the triple option lulls defenses to sleep.  Running the ball every down pulls the secondary towards the line of scrimmage.  Of coarse this vital to the passing game.  

I like 'whatever works' on offense and dominant defense.  If a coach came in here and ran the wishbone I'd be behind it as long there are 'W's' that come along with it...

The triple option is great if perfectly executed. If you have athletic lineman and a QB that understands the system, it can be dangerous. When we ran it in high school, teams would try to load the box to stop us. Speed options and play action screen plays would kill them, and they would back off. Granted this is college football and not high school. I would be more interested in the team if we started running this.

Edited by jtm0097

@Ben Gooding Are your top two triple option candidates Willie Fritz and Irvin Jasper?

I would take Irvin Jasper over anyone we have on our list right now. We would have sustained success with him here starting next season. 

As far is Fritz, I am not so sure what kind of offense he would run here. But I mean he has to be taken into consideration, sure. 

So for the sake of conversation and balance.  What are some examples of teams that run the triple option with little success?

Army. But they are not really a traditional triple offense. In the modern era they have tried to steer away from it, but always somehow kind of end up at it again. Assuming because of personnel reasons. That's really it. 

All of the traditional teams have had prolonged success throughout they history and that even includes Georgia Southern. I mean, if the naysayers don't want any part of that then sure, we can stick to what we have been doing. That is seemingly working. 

Gotta disagree @UTSA Fan.  Paul Johnson makes it work.

I believe you when you say you played at Lewisville, but I still have to second guess your understanding of how it works and why Johnson does it so successfully and consistently.

Size is not an issue.  What makes the Triple O work are numbers and speed.  That's why you still see it in college ball, and why you don't see it in the NFL.

my only issue with size in the statement was execution evened the numbers part of the equation and speed is generally comparable. No one would disagree with Ben that there are different approaches, but the essence of the option is the read, pitch or run and when the qb runs point he gets the sh*t kicked out of him. That's why it's not used regularly in the NFL, see R.G.3. You can only run so much then a good sized guy will limit your career. Can it work? Sure. Does it work? Not with perennial power programs. My whole thing is unt has a golden opportunity to do something that is fundamental in building for the future and I would like to see them position the program in the strongest posSibley way. My posts weren't meant to be an exhaustive case against, but bring a perspective not represented on the thread to date. I honestly don't care what unt does, just win. Wishbone, wing t, shot gun, veer, whatever. It's all about the w. Win and you get recruites and attendance.

my only issue with size in the statement was execution evened the numbers part of the equation and speed is generally comparable. No one would disagree with Ben that there are different approaches, but the essence of the option is the read, pitch or run and when the qb runs point he gets the sh*t kicked out of him. That's why it's not used regularly in the NFL, see R.G.3. You can only run so much then a good sized guy will limit your career. Can it work? Sure. Does it work? Not with perennial power programs. My whole thing is unt has a golden opportunity to do something that is fundamental in building for the future and I would like to see them position the program in the strongest posSibley way. My posts weren't meant to be an exhaustive case against, but bring a perspective not represented on the thread to date. I honestly don't care what unt does, just win. Wishbone, wing t, shot gun, veer, whatever. It's all about the w. Win and you get recruites and attendance.

I hate to break it down like this, but we are not a perennial power program. Never will be. We are a losing program spiraling out of control. The triple option will bring stability to a very dysfunctional brand. 

The good QB's in this kind of system know how to not get hit. They know how to wedge their body to avoid catastrophe. See why Kennan Reynolds at Navy has never missed a game to my knowledge. Nor has Justin Thomas at Georgia Tech as far as I know. A good option QB knows when to eat it and when to go with it. Georgia Tech last year ran it to perfection to a 10-2 record and an almost upset of eventual playoff bound FSU in the ACC championship game.  

I hate to break it down like this, but we are not a perennial power program. Never will be. We are a losing program spiraling out of control. The triple option will bring stability to a very dysfunctional brand. 

The good QB's in this kind of system know how to not get hit. They know how to wedge their body to avoid catastrophe. See why Kennan Reynolds at Navy has never missed a game to my knowledge. Nor has Justin Thomas at Georgia Tech as far as I know. A good option QB knows when to eat it and when to go with it. Georgia Tech last year ran it to perfection to a 10-2 record and an almost upset of eventual playoff bound FSU in the ACC championship game.  

well, i see your point. My thought was the school has the potential to achieve everything in time, so use those programs as a "best practice" in our rare opportunity to rebuild.

Here's a link to the 2009 Armed Forces Bowl highlights for Air Force.  I was at this game, and by the 4th, the Houston secondary wanted no part of the AF backs and blockers.  Houston was #25 and 10-2.  AF was unranked and 6-5 coming into the game.  They intercepted Keenum 6 times and destroyed Houston on the ground. 

• Upvote 1

Here's a link to the 2009 Armed Forces Bowl highlights for Air Force.  I was at this game, and by the 4th, the Houston secondary wanted no part of the AF backs and blockers.  Houston was #25 and 10-2.  AF was unranked and 6-5 coming into the game.  They intercepted Keenum 6 times and destroyed Houston on the ground. 

Yeah, but it's not hip and cool with the kids. 

I don't want those kids in this system so that is quite OK. If we are running the Air Raid or true spread then we need those kids that want to be trendy and super cool. 

I think you present a strong argument and I think it's something to look in to. Problem is, there is no way in hell RV will entertain this prospect. His job is on the line and will try and keep up with the Jonses by hiring a spread offense guru. I'm not saying that is the route we should go, but I believe that is the route we will go. 

Like others have said - I don't care if we run spread, west coast, no offense, or triple option - I just want to win some damn games. 

• Upvote 1