What About This...A UNT AC

DeepGreen

Three questions. Is there anything like this at other schools?.......successful schools. If so, who is on it and what real influence do they have? 

There was some sort of faculty committee put together right after Corkey Nelson was fired to hire the next coach. The result was Dennis Parker hired, when Paul Johnson was said to have been interested in the job. To be fair to Dennis Parker, he was the one who recruited Mitch Maher. Pretty good assessment on his part.

I think that former athletes ought to be on the council, but only if they have gone on to a career that is "results based".......kind of like Jordan Case.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

This would go terribly for the current AD, therefore it will NEVER happen while he is collecting a paycheck

Well???  I could care less about the current AD.  Maybe he'll get the picture, get the "cula rosa"(that's Italian for red ass) for being left out, and resign.  Just saying.....

• Upvote 1

Well???  I could care less about the current AD.  Maybe he'll get the picture, get the "cula rosa"(that's Italian for red ass) for being left out, and resign.  Just saying.....

I wish you were right, but $900k can buy a lot of lotion to soothe that red ass. He ain't walking away from free money. 

And he isn't letting anyone ruin the suck up job that he has been working on since Samtresk's arrival.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea.  Ideally the vocal leader of the group should be a younger guy who is very media savvy.  A representative from the Alumni organization should  be a requirement as well.  I would love for them to put forth head coach suggestions out in the media....  "Today the North Texas AC put forth a list 5 desired candidates for the new head basketball coach now that it official Benford will not b returning next season."

• Upvote 1

I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea.  Ideally the vocal leader of the group should be a younger guy who is very media savvy.  A representative from the Alumni organization should  be a requirement as well.  I would love for them to put forth head coach suggestions out in the media....  "Today the North Texas AC put forth a list 5 desired candidates for the new head basketball coach now that it official Benford will not b returning next season."

so you are suggesting someone like @kram.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I have never been much for committees, friends. I do think that an athletic advisory council might be helpful, if it was restricted to a small number.  They would be good for educating an outside athletic director and offering respected input. At the end of the day, you need one capable man to call the shots and be accountable for the consequences of his decisions.

• Upvote 3

At the end of the day, you need one capable man to call the shots and be accountable for the consequences of his decisions.

Problem is, the one man we have isn't accountable for anything.

Don't believe me? Just ask him...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I have a better idea... Just hand me the $31,000,000+ athletic budget and let me run with it. If I had the freedom to spend all the money, here's what I'd do my first year.

1. I'd hire Brian Wickstrom, the AD at Louisiana Monroe, as my assistant. I don't know much about him, but he manages to keep Monroe afloat on a shoestring budget. Plus, he'd be a cheap hire. Give him a $8,000,000 budget and tell him he only has to take care of the Olympic sports.

2. With the remaining $23,000,000, I'd set aside $9,750,000 for football coaches salaries. Then call Mac Brown and offer him $5.5 million a season, and tell him the remaining $4.25 million is for his assistants. Are their better coaches out there? Yes, but no hire would get more attention in the state of Texas, and Brown is a great recruiter.

3. With the remaining $13,250,000, I'd set aside $2,250,000 and offer our head Basketball job to Mark Few from Gonzaga. It would be a $1,000,000 raise for him.

4. With the remaining $11 million, I'd set $2,000,000 aside to buy a home game against P5 programs every season. No return games. I like the idea of 7 home games every year.

5. With the remaining $9 million, I'd spend $2,000,000 to buy and paint 2 new helicopters (Eagle 1 & Eagle 2) for Brown, Few, and the staff to use on recruiting trips.

6. With the remaining $7 million, I'd set aside $2,000,000 to bringing back "Beyond the Green" and have it air at 6:30 pm every Thursday night during football and basketball season on Spike.

7. With the remaining $5 million, I'd set aside $500,000 for national recruiting trips.

8. Spend some money and buy a car dealership sized SOW flag and flagpole and plant that thing at the top of the tailgating hill.

9. I'd save the remaining $4.5 million to cover the cost of other promotional advertising, and facility maintenance.

10. If I still had the 4.5 million in my pocket come February, and North Texas had a bowl season and/or an NCAA invite, I'd buy a Mean Green Superbowl commercial featuring our teams.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

I don't think I have ever met  a letterman that could stand RV not to say there are not those that like RV. I just have yet to meet one. Most I have met won't even go to a game as long as RV is AD. Not sure what started this but I am seeing my own reasons now. 

8. Spend some money and buy a car dealership sized SOW flag and flagpole and plant that thing at the top of the tailgating hill.

Regardless of who's running the athletic department, this would be awesome to have. It'd get attention from I35 for sure.

I don't think I have ever met  a letterman that could stand RV not to say there are not those that like RV. I just have yet to meet one. Most I have met won't even go to a game as long as RV is AD. Not sure what started this but I am seeing my own reasons now. 

My understanding is that this is the prevailing feeling of a whole lot of former players toward RV...

• Upvote 1

Until the BOR decides that funding winning revenue programs is gonna matter here, no athletic council, athletic booster, or athletic director is gonna make any of this get better.

As long as we continue to tell the alumni that tailgating is the best part of the game day experience at Apogee, nothing will change.

As long as we allow coaches to keep coming back for successive season on their contracts when the attendance at their respective venues drops by a third or by half due to continued losing, nothing else will change.

Smatresk is the only hope here. If he can't--or won't--get the BOR to change their minds, we might as well just acknowledge that the Rick Villareal Athletic Department will be getting done when RV retires in the next decade or so. And when we are playing conference games against the Abilene Christians, Lamars, and Nicholls States of the world again, as well as scheduling OOC games games against Midwestern State and Texas A&M--Commerce, in front of about 4000 people, we will have no one to blame but the leadership of this university who believed that athletics was a waste of time and money.

• Upvote 1

Aren't these kinds of things rather toothless?  The best they can do is offer recommendations.

An idea I had was, in addition to having former athletics on this Committee, what about having 2-3 "voices of the average" from say GoMeanGreen.com.  Harry could objectively pick these die hard fans for their input.  Committee could be made up of 6-8 former athletes and 2-3 GMG fans.  No offense, but some fans on here may not be cut out for this committee.  No naming here but you know who you are!  Just another thought provoking subject. 

An idea I had was, in addition to having former athletics on this Committee, what about having 2-3 "voices of the average" from say GoMeanGreen.com.  Harry could objectively pick these die hard fans for their input.  Committee could be made up of 6-8 former athletes and 2-3 GMG fans.  No offense, but some fans on here may not be cut out for this committee.  No naming here but you know who you are!  Just another thought provoking subject. 

Your idea has much merit IMO, Deep. Keeping the number down (like 9 or less, as you suggest) and weighting the composition of the group as you outlined would be helpful. As long as the committee members take their responsibility for constructive input seriously, resist politics or don't devolve into just another "club", they would make a highly valuable contribution. That is asking a lot of a committee, but it could be done.  They would all have to take a blood oath on Scrappy.

Armed with good advice, you still need "a decider" (no political innuendo implied).

Just one guy's opinion.