It’s time for a MGB tradition — Get Your Rear on the Record

Harry

So many question marks this season. Ive honestly never been so discombobulated about a team.

I think athletically we are better top to bottom than probably any time since Ive been following. Experience - thin.

Do we win a few simply by out athlete-ing some C-USA foes? Maybe.

Do we blow a few due to inexperience - probably.  

Crapshoot. 6-6

although I really really really want to believe 7-5.

I have no effing clue.......

I'm with this guy.  I think last year's team was one of the least talented teams I've ever seen us field.  Somehow they managed to win 4 games.  A lot of coaching staffs would have gone 0-12 with that bunch.  I think our dline, secondary and special teams look promising.  No clue on our offense.  If our oline doesn't gel, the offense could be worse than last year---which is hard to fathom.  I think we have the best all around coaching staff in CUSA and they'll figure out a way to be competitive, but our schedule is a bear this year. I'm going 5-7. Hard to go higher than that with this schedule.

• Upvote 1

I'm with this guy.  I think last year's team was one of the least talented teams I've ever seen us field.  Somehow they managed to win 4 games.  A lot of coaching staffs would have gone 0-12 with that bunch.  I think our dline, secondary and special teams look promising.  No clue on our offense.  If our oline doesn't gel, the offense could be worse than last year---which is hard to fathom.  I think we have the best all around coaching staff in CUSA and they'll figure out a way to be competitive, but our schedule is a bear this year. I'm going 5-7. Hard to go higher than that with this schedule.

I think 5-7 is the absolute ceiling for this thing--that's winning all three of you 50/50 games with USM, UTSA, and UTEP, plus winning at SMU and Portland State.

If we get to 6 wins this year or better, Mac should be given Coach of the Year--to do that with McNulty as the QB, a young OL, and a defensive front that is still not very deep, at least to me, would seem amazing to even think about. If I thought we could play better on the road, I'd say that 5 wins or better is possible, but trips to Southern Miss, Marshall, La Tech, and MUTS don't add up to multiple victories.

On the other side, a loss at SMU would almost ensure a record of absolutely no better than 2-10, with a real probability of 1-11. SMU will not be more talented than anyone else on our schedule, except for Portland State.

• Downvote 1

So general consensus is that UNT will suck again, but not suck as bad.

I'm seeing a lot of 5-7.

Could this year be like a 2012? Good play, but inconsistent. DaMarcus Smith takes over late in the season and catapults the team into next year. Lots of play makers returning. 

Also I know a lot of people say the schedule is tough, but do you really know? Outside of WKU and maybe Marshall a lot of the teams on our schedule have pretty big question marks. Our schedule could turn out to be an easy one. Hell even Iowa and Tennessee could turn out to be duds. 

I think 5-7 is the absolute ceiling for this thing--that's winning all three of you 50/50 games with USM, UTSA, and UTEP, plus winning at SMU and Portland State.

If we get to 6 wins this year or better, Mac should be given Coach of the Year--to do that with McNulty as the QB, a young OL, and a defensive front that is still not very deep, at least to me, would seem amazing to even think about. If I thought we could play better on the road, I'd say that 5 wins or better is possible, but trips to Southern Miss, Marshall, La Tech, and MUTS don't add up to multiple victories.

On the other side, a loss at SMU would almost ensure a record of absolutely no better than 2-10, with a real probability of 1-11. SMU will not be more talented than anyone else on our schedule, except for Portland State.

I don't think Rice at home is out of the question if we beat SMU.

Tennessee will not be a dud. Let's just hope SC beats them up badly the week before.

You cant be certain of that. Maybe not a dud but they may only have 3 or 4 wins coming into our game. They also have question marks on the OL.

I dont believe they will be a dud or average, but Im not sure.

Before us their tough games are:

Oklahoma 

@ Florida 

Arkansas

Georgia

@ Alabama 

South Carolina

They could easily lose those games.

• Upvote 2

Also I know a lot of people say the schedule is tough, but do you really know? Outside of WKU and maybe Marshall a lot of the teams on our schedule have pretty big question marks. Our schedule could turn out to be an easy one. Hell even Iowa and Tennessee could turn out to be duds. 

7 road games out of 12.  Doesn't matter if any of those teams are terrible, we'll still likely struggle in those games as it's our M.O.  

I don't usually pick records, so not sure why I am doing so now with a team with so many question marks, but here I go. I am in the 5-7 camp. I would love to pick more, but I am not seeing how we get there. Maybe after we get a few games under our belt I can feel better about the team, but I just don't see a 2+ win swing this year. I hope to be proven very wrong.

I believe WKU is on a different level than Rice.  Rice is doing a little rebuilding of their own.   We played them close last year in Houston.

I think it's going to be a fun shootout against Rice and it'll be close. If we can keep the run game contained, we got it.

It could also be a shootout against WKU, but one that we won't keep up with.

• Upvote 1

6-6 is as optimistic as I can get. Quarterback is huge in college football. You can improve mechanically, get smarter as a QB, etc. but I think McNulty has too many athletic hurdles to overcome to be the Quarterback we need. Just doesn't have the arm. You can have question marks in other areas but that's not a position that usually translates into a winning record if there is a question mark. Prove me wrong, Mini Mac. I do think he is the best we have at the position right now unless proven otherwise. 

Just on the schedule alone, a 4-8 season would be an improvement from last year, even though we finished 4-8. We just played 4 teams that were as bad as college football opponents as you could draw in 2014. A 5+ win this season would be a real good sign that this thing is moving back into the right direction. I still think 3-4 wins this year is where I believe this team will finish. Next year, all things equal, I'd like to us get back to 5-6 wins, and then be ready to have another great year in 2017, similar to 2013.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1