CUSA made a mistake with the FIU invite

NT03

It's about market size, not product on field or court. However, I would let FIU join just to see their dance team at basketball tournament.I also would like to see A-State and ULL if conference expands to 16, but they don't bring enough t.v. sets to the table.By the way, what happened to the successful FIU football coach fired a few years ago?

• Downvote 1

FIU made a mistake by firing Cristobal.

This.

That guy built them up from absolute Dodge-like garbage to a bowl champion. Then, after he stays at FIU instead of going to Pitt (huge mistake), he has one bad year and gets canned. Pathetic...

I think the mistake was adding FAU after you already had FIU for the Miami market. ULL made a lot more sense, at that point.

Yes, Banowski was trying to put the TV package together and the Miami and West Palm Beach markets were a lot more attractive than Lafayette and a small share of the Austin market. But...just last year we took a Western Kentucky team from a smaller market than Lafayette. In addition, they draw about 8-10,000 less game attendance than Louisiana. Even Arkansas State has an equal TV market compared to Bowling Green and draw at least 5K more per game than WKU.

So, if we absolutely had to have the Florida teams for the TV package we should've taken ULL as our 14th team. Then, if we go to 16 teams, take two from Texas State, Arkansas State or Western Kentucky.

• Downvote 1

I think closing out the Florida market was a big part of this as well. If you took FAU only you leave FIU in the Belt... taking them both was smart from TV and recruiting.

FIU is a damn big, good academic school -- in a great location. I know they are down but they will be back.

That guy built them up from absolute Dodge-like garbage to a bowl champion. Then, after he stays at FIU instead of going to Pitt (huge mistake), he has one bad year and gets canned. Pathetic...

Mmmm . . . there was more to it than that. Cristobal had several off the field issues, including pummeling a dude in a bar while repeatedly yelling "Panther power!" every time he punched him. But any way you slice it, their firing of Cristobal came back to bite them, and the AD's absolute confidence that they had Butch Davis waiting in the wings absolutely did them in.

I think closing out the Florida market was a big part of this as well. If you took FAU only you leave FIU in the Belt... taking them both was smart from TV and recruiting.

FIU is a damn big, good academic school -- in a great location. I know they are down but they will be back.

They're big (50k+ students), but they're a poor academic school. When I visited, I had the pleasure (misfortune?) of seeing their academic performance statistics. All-men's average was around 2.5... YIKES!