Hopes of Sellout are DEAD!

BIG DAWG

you evaluate the options. You determine if DMac is the right person for the job. I tell you what you DONT do, you don't compare him to Dodge, or Parker, or any of the other terrible coaching hires we have made over the decades and say, we are better off now than we were then. You don't accept performances like this, you evaluate the coaching staff CONSTANTLY, and you make the necessary changes. One thing you dont do is ask the alumni to do the coaches jobs for them.

Then quit acting like a "know it all"- I've seen you arguing back and forth with me infact you can go on for hours. You alone are not going to change anything.

Edited by FanofUNT

Didn't we just extend Mac's contract? This talk of kicking him to the curb after one bodybag loss seems rash and premature.

It is very premature. But lets say we go 4-8, 5-7 this year, then what? That will be 22-28/23-27 in 4 years. Then what? Accept losing for a potential 4th year out of 5 the next year? Then if we lose that next year, accept that too? So we can always say...yeah Old Coach Mac won the HoD for us, but had 1 winning season in 7 years before he gets canned? When is the line drawn in the sand? These are actual questions looking for answers, not rhetorical. GMG

• Downvote 1

74-105. The record is the record and only wins are going to change it. His "breakout" season at Iowa State was 9-3 in 2000 where they did finish ranked 23rd. After that he sandwiched two 7 win seasons in between a 2-10 effort and was fired after going 4-8 in his final season. They felt that he was wasting their time. His first 5 years at IA St before his "breakout" season he had 5 consecutive losing seasons...bad losing seasons. 13-42 his first 5 years to be exact. People have on the HoD goggles and forget all of this. Of the 12 years he was at Iowa State he finished in last place or tied for last place in the Big12 North seven of those 12 years. He won a share of the Big12 North in 2004 going 7-5(4-4). Which is irrelevant because the co-champion was Colorado which beat IA St and was the division representative in the Big12 Championship Game that year. Then of course he was 5-7 and 4-8 his first 2 seasons here at North Texas. Not to bash the man, because this is all public information, but in Mac do we really trust? -1 me all you want, but facts are facts and I am not naive to what is and what isn't. Standing half way up the mountain for one season is not going to put me at bay for the next 5 years. If this fiasco continues I will be vocal and the above information should force everyone us to be vocal. I am not jumping the gun here, I am simply preparing for the what could be. GMG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_McCarney

His all-time head coaching record has to be considered in light of where he has coached. When he took over at Iowa State, he took over a team that had a long history of losing, and had as a matter of fact gone winless the previous year. Coach Mac had a .397 record at Iowa State, and his immediate successor (Chizik) had a .208 record and was able to parlay that into one of the better head coaching jobs in the SEC. And if you've been around any time at all, I don't need to tell you what he came into here at UNT.

I'm peeved at the coaching on the offensive side of the ball this game. I hope the coaches are smart enough figure out what the problems are and to begin to correct them. But to even suggest firing a head coach because of what happened in a bodybag game is silly.

• Upvote 2

I agree, it is silly and extremely premature. But what if we go 4-8 this year? Yeah RV is going to give him another year, obviously. What if another 4-8 season happens in 2015? Does he get a pass because he beat a dilapidated, middle of the pack MW team in UNLV at the HoD bowl? Offensively, things look abysmal. Not just because it was UT, it just looked pitiful and I think it would have looked pitiful against anyone. We would have had more rushing yards against someone else and that is about it. Score may have been a couple td's closer, but still a handy loss.

His all-time head coaching record has to be considered in light of where he has coached. When he took over at Iowa State, he took over a team that had a long history of losing, and had as a matter of fact gone winless the previous year. Coach Mac had a .397 record at Iowa State, and his immediate successor (Chizik) had a .208 record and was able to parlay that into one of the better head coaching jobs in the SEC. And if you've been around any time at all, I don't need to tell you what he came into here at UNT.

I'm peeved at the coaching on the offensive side of the ball this game. I hope the coaches are smart enough figure out what the problems are and to begin to correct them. But to even suggest firing a head coach because of what happened in a bodybag game is silly.

This. The moron alert is in overdrive.

• Upvote 1

Iowa State all time winning % is .456, Macs at ISU, .397. They have always sucked, no doubt. They just consistently sucked a little more when Mac was there.

My only coaching samples at UNT are Todd Dodge and Dan McCarney. I'm not prepared to bitch just yet.

That's sad. Not your fault of course, just sad you didnt get to see a Corky or Fry coached team at DKR or Fouts West(Texas Tech).

I imagine the attitude we had back then as a fan base going into those arena's was what North Dakota State fans have now. You knew there was a chance something awesome was about to happen because the coaches were unpredictabl, which made you want to be there to see it.

Rick

• Upvote 1

I agree, it is silly and extremely premature. But what if we go 4-8 this year? Yeah RV is going to give him another year, obviously. What if another 4-8 season happens in 2015? Does he get a pass because he beat a dilapidated, middle of the pack MW team in UNLV at the HoD bowl? Offensively, things look abysmal. Not just because it was UT, it just looked pitiful and I think it would have looked pitiful against anyone. We would have had more rushing yards against someone else and that is about it. Score may have been a couple td's closer, but still a handy loss.

Well, with the recent contract extension, Coach Mac will be our coach at least through 2016, unless he steps down or does something to lead to a Carl Pelini-style firing. We will certainly not buy out more than two years of his contract, if we'd do that much. So while, in your hypothetic scenario, I might be in favor of a coaching change, it would be wasted breath.

Iowa State all time winning % is .456, Macs at ISU, .397. They have always sucked, no doubt. They just consistently sucked a little more when Mac was there.

All-time? North Texas's all time winning percentage is .508. But that does nothing to describe the situation Coach Mac came into here. He didn't get to come in right after Hayden Fry, or even right after a .400 coach.

Understand that Iowa State fans were ready to deify Paul Rhoads for his recent "success"--and he is .429 there, certainly to be lower than that after this season.

Yeah, he want be around for much longer. He will have a bad seasons this and next year and will exit stage left. They are P5 and in the business of trying to make mass amounts of money. .429 is not going to keep administration at bay at that school. The fans might be content right now, but the admin wants that $ and they will make another hire to try and improve.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, he want be around for much longer. He will have a bad seasons this and next year and will exit stage left. They are P5 and in the business of trying to make mass amounts of money. .429 is not going to keep administration at bay at that school. The fans might be content right now, but the admin wants that $ and they will make another hire to try and improve.

Oh, .429 absolutely would keep him around at Iowa State. The problem is, he went .333 last year and will do well to match that this year. And blowout losses to 1AA teams can hasten a coach's exit pretty rapidly.

That's sad. Not your fault of course, just sad you didnt get to see a Corky or Fry coached team at DKR or Fouts West(Texas Tech).

I imagine the attitude we had back then as a fan base going into those arena's was what North Dakota State fans have now. You knew there was a chance something awesome was about to happen because the coaches were unpredictabl, which made you want to be there to see it.

Rick

You are saying you watched a Fry coached team and you remember all about it? What are you 60 now, cause you look pretty good if you are.

I watched those Corky teams, and I wouldn't trade that for what we have now on the worst day.

If you want proof that this place is fine with mediocrity look no further:

RV has been here since April of 2001. During his tenure here, the big 3 sports have a combined record of 441-503, good for a .467 winning percentage.

13 years, .467 winning percentage.

Break it down to football, RV has a .379 winning percentage.

I'm tired of blaming coaches. I blame the one that hires them.

Edited by GRN-WHT

The only thing I really saw last night that was totally broken was the performance by both QB's. Now thats a really big "only thing". I believe Greer was a deer in the headlights playing at DKR, and McNulty didn't really surprise me. Solve the QB problem and this team will take off.

• Upvote 2

I guess we should tap the brakes a little here folks. I'm just as concerned about the ridiculous QB play we saw last night, but we appear to have 2 things needed to win against "equal" competition: defense & a running game. NT will be in every conference game if these 2 units show up and produce like we saw last night. However, if we expect to see Mac take this team to the next level and beat a ranked team, he's going to have to throw out his Tim Tebow/Cam Newton physical requirements at QB and start looking at QBs built like Mike Vick & Russsell Wilson.....