HOD BOWL DATE...

THOR

That is a terrible day for the HOD. Many fans and students wouldn't even be able to get back from Christmas in time to go to the game. I guess ESPN and the HOD didn't like seeing 35,000 Mean Green fans at the HOD. What the hell are the HOD and C-USA thinking?

• Upvote 2

Don't think it will matter that much. College aged kids got up after a night of drinking on New Year's Eve and had no problem going to the HOD bowl that started at 11:00AM.

If anything, this may add more fans.

Not out of town ones. I'll never make that date.

Not out of town ones. I'll never make that date.

Dude, with your method of travel last year, I'm surprised you made that one. Alive, anyway :-)

Good point. I was speaking only about students with family within a 4 or 5 hours drive, which I think is the vast majority of UNT students. But you are right, older alums with families that live out of state ain't gonna do this.

Sad.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On the other hand, those of us who are out of state but have people to visit in Texas may be more likely to make that date if we visit for Christmas. We may or may not be there, but that overall demographic may be what they're trying to add. If you have a few thousand more visiting for Christmas, snag them for a bowl game before they head back home for work...especially since Christmas is on Thursday this year, so most people won't be back to work until Monday.

I think the day is much more friendly for the casual fan than New Years. Few people travel to Dallas for New Years - many will be around for a Mean Green bowl game. I think we end up in New Mexico anyway next year.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No matter what date is chosen, there will always be a lot of conflicts over the holidays. I suspect it will all even out, much like the difference between afternoon and evening start times during the regular season.

My wife's family is taking a cruise through the Panama Canal from the 23rd through the 2nd so I can't make it this year no matter what bowl we are in.

I would rather go to HOD Bowl again or even New Mexico bowl than the bowl game in Hawaii where a lot of fans can't get off their jobs and go. Somebof us in retail can't get off to go to Hawaii.

It's not the time off that's a concern for this guy that works for a retail company, it's the cost of the plane ticket. You'll drop something close to $1500 for one person to fly to HI for Christmas if you booked on AA today without using any miles. Who knows what tickets might cost in December when the bowl invites are sent out.