Tulane (3/12/14)

CMJ

No matter the result tomorrow, I am proud of this basketball team. Jumping up conferences like we have is tough, and to advance in the tourney is no small feat

It's great to be proud if the kids, but aside from 4 games, this has been a lateral move conference wise this season. That will be proven with the amount of NCAA bids CUSA and the Belt receive (1 each).

Beating Rice is a very small feat, as 18 of the last 20 teams to play them have done it. So advancing, while great for the kids, is no feat for the program overall.

Get ready for some really bad basketball next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

How do we stack up?

They don't have the inside play to really make us pay for not having much down low ourselves. One of the teams in this conference that we should be able to outrebound.

They have decent guard play, including a big 3 (all 3 are guards no taller than 6'3") who all average about 14 points or more a game. Just like with most big 3s, if 2 or all 3 have good games they are tough to beat. If only 1 of them is having a good game, you have to like our chances.

Get ready for some really bad basketball next year.

One thing that really struck me yesterday is how will we be able to score? The JJ recruits have carried the team in scoring all year. We only have three guys scoring 9 points/game or more this year, and they're all JJ guys. That doesn't include Brandan Walton, who we have no chance of winning the game yesterday without.

Next year we lose Alzee, our only other double digit scorer besides J Williams, and Brandan Walton. Not to mention Vertrail Vaughns, who just fell into our lap this year. Even with those guys, we only had 21 points at the half yesterday. And that's far from our only low point performance this year.

What I really want to see is our offense have a big scoring performance today with Jordan Williams not scoring very many of the points. When he's been off, we've been anemic on offense.

• Upvote 1

CUSA TOURNEY GAME 2 – UNT VS TULANE BASKETBALL PREVIEW

“Let’s huddle up here. We’ve got some work to do. We got lucky in the first round. We caught those dirty Krauts napping, but that won’t happen again…

UNT survived a massive letdown by mounting a second half comeback against abysmal Rice. UNT overcame adversity, poor shooting, poor defense, and a super hot 3 point shooter to advance on to the second round. Rice provided some help along the way by going 14-30 from the free throw line. It was not pretty, but it doesn’t matter at this time of the year. It’s about surviving and advancing. Next up for UNT is the seven seed Tulane Green Wave, which is another team that UNT lost to during the year. They were able to sit and watch UNT yesterday by securing a first round bye. It should be a pretty evenly matched game with both teams having the same record.

• Upvote 1

CUSA TOURNEY GAME 2 – UNT VS TULANE BASKETBALL PREVIEW

“Let’s huddle up here. We’ve got some work to do. We got lucky in the first round. We caught those dirty Krauts napping, but that won’t happen again…

UNT survived a massive letdown by mounting a second half comeback against abysmal Rice. UNT overcame adversity, poor shooting, poor defense, and a super hot 3 point shooter to advance on to the second round. Rice provided some help along the way by going 14-30 from the free throw line. It was not pretty, but it doesn’t matter at this time of the year. It’s about surviving and advancing. Next up for UNT is the seven seed Tulane Green Wave, which is another team that UNT lost to during the year. They were able to sit and watch UNT yesterday by securing a first round bye. It should be a pretty evenly matched game with both teams having the same record.

Nice analysis.

I think if Voss can give us a game like he did yesterday, we have a great shot at this. I expect Alzee and CJ to play better than yesterday (neither were particularly good, despite CJ coming up huge at the end of regulation and OT). I expect Jordan will play solid as he normally has.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if Brandon starts again. He's led the team in scoring two games in a row.

Nice analysis.

I think if Voss can give us a game like he did yesterday, we have a great shot at this. I expect Alzee and CJ to play better than yesterday (neither were particularly good, despite CJ coming up huge at the end of regulation and OT). I expect Jordan will play solid as he normally has.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if Brandon starts again. He's led the team in scoring two games in a row.

Yes Walton played like a guy who didn't want his season to end. Urgency.

I will take us in this one. Found some UNT students on the ship to celebrate the win with last night. Hopefully the one goes better. Find wifi in a tiny little hut, but have to be back in the ship around the time the game tips :(

I will take us in this one. Yesterday's game seemed rough but at least it was a win.

• Downvote 1