Tulsa (3/6/14)

CMJ

At least Alzee and BW got to go out with a bang.

seriously...

those 2 in Hot Springs in 2012 played unbelievable...

I think Alzee managed to play like 42 minutes a game somehow during that run

and Walton won at least one of those games on a 3 right?

seriously...

those 2 in Hot Springs in 2012 played unbelievable...

I think Alzee managed to play like 42 minutes a game somehow during that run

and Walton won at least one of those games on a 3 right?

Yeah, those three days might have been both of their finest hour. Walton beat ULL on a trey, and I seem to remember he hit big shots against ASU. He ALSO got hurt versus ASU. I'm not sure, but I think Alzee might have played the full 40 more than once...at the point (while also being a defensive stopper).

• Upvote 1

On a side note it was great to see Johnny Quinn! I am surprised no one is utilizing him for advertising.

Door Buster sales brought to you by Johnny Quinn. (I just picture him busting through the door mentioning the sale) perhaps someone who is not on an iPad can photo shop an image.

So, I went to this game to support Alzee and Brandon who I have a bit of a friendship. After covering basketball last year, I wanted to share my observations. I assume these will be unpopular, and I also know my sample size from this season is super small. That aside here are some of the thoughts I had.

- UNT is actually running an offense. The player and ball movement looks a lot more organized then it did last year. It looked like five guys playing pick-up last year. I would say that there is more of a system in place then I've seen. That was positive.

- The moral of the program is lower. You can tell the players, at least tonight, aren't sold on something about their set up.

-The talent level is still pretty high. I mean obviously there is no Tony Mitchell. That's was a once in an era sort of thing (but we all knew that).

- Officiating in CUSA is still as bad (inconsistent) as SBC.

- I'm glad that Walton and Alzee had 20 point final home games. Well deserved for what they've given the program.

- Overall the idea of team seemed better. They were better coached than last year for sure. There was some direction that was optimistic for me because we aren't going to buy out Benford's contract so at least there is progress.

- I do think some players are forced and/or trying to do too much. There is some definite ball-hoggage. Some players took some pretty poor shots. There were several opportunities where one more pass was a super open look.

Sorry if this is jumbled. This is on iPhone. So my apologies. I'd love to get ya'lls thoughts.

• Upvote 2

Tulsa fans just asked our student section to sit down. :huh:

I've really had it with jerk fans from the visiting teams this week. Yeah, yeah, I know.... If you don't wanna get heckled by the visiting fans, don't let their team beat us in our house. I can handle fans cheering for their team, and I can handle fans voicing displeasure, but don't visit someone else's house and be a jackhole unless maybe, you know, you're the defending national champs or someone of that caliber (which Tulsa is not). One row kept chanting, "Sit! Sit!" or something as Gaines, Vos, and whoever else fouled out walked over to the bench, and I can't remember what other stupid stuff they did. Usually I'm able to roll my eyes and move on, but tonight I yelled right back at them. They looked right at me, blinked, and shut up for about ten minutes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've really had it with jerk fans from the visiting teams this week. Yeah, yeah, I know.... If you don't wanna get heckled by the visiting fans, don't let their team beat us in our house. I can handle fans cheering for their team, and I can handle fans voicing displeasure, but don't visit someone else's house and be a jackhole unless maybe, you know, you're the defending national champs or someone of that caliber (which Tulsa is not). One row kept chanting, "Sit! Sit!" or something as Gaines, Vos, and whoever else fouled out walked over to the bench, and I can't remember what other stupid stuff they did. Usually I'm able to roll my eyes and move on, but tonight I yelled right back at them. They looked right at me, blinked, and shut up for about ten minutes.

no...

Benford needs to hear this... and Ricky V does too... I hope visiting fans taking over our arena speed up the process on getting a new coach in here

• Upvote 1

One clown was trying to get someone on the team's bench and clapping while Walton and CJ were down with injuries. Very classless. One lady behind us was complaining about a fan across the arena turning on their camera flash when the teams were on that end. Thing was, we were on offense when he was doing it, so it would have been more likely to help them than hurt them. Either way, when he was asked to stop, they acted like they had won some kind of major victory. Very odd. Also thought it was weird that they had no reaction to Johnny. Not that I expect them to give a standing O or anything like that, but they just sat there with their arms crossed when Johnny was introduced. Just felt weird to me that they had no positive reaction. Was not very impressed with their fans. Kind of glad we don't see them again in conference.

• Upvote 1

One lady behind us was complaining about a fan across the arena turning on their camera flash when the teams were on that end. Thing was, we were on offense when he was doing it, so it would have been more likely to help them than hurt them. Either way, when he was asked to stop, they acted like they had won some kind of major victory.

I've never heard of anyone complaining about someone using a flash during a sporting event. I guess they've never been to a pro-sporting event where flashes are used all the time. Doesn't seem to bother the pros.

Really felt like Tulsa sent us their "B Team" when it came to their fans.