Florida Atlantic (2/22/14)

CMJ

Question: How far of a run in the conference tourney would it take for you to believe this year was an improvement over last year?

How far of run in the conference tourney would it take for y'all to have more faith in Benford?

I'm not saying I'm sold on him, but you have to admire a team that doesn't fold up shop when the chips are down.

I feel like if we can make it to the semis that would be a good indication that this year would be a success. A run to the semis to me would indicate that things are headed in a better direction than most believe.

• Upvote 1

Question: How far of a run in the conference tourney would it take for you to believe this year was an improvement over last year?

How far of run in the conference tourney would it take for y'all to have more faith in Benford?

I'm not saying I'm sold on him, but you have to admire a team that doesn't fold up shop when the chips are down.

I feel like if we can make it to the semis that would be a good indication that this year would be a success. A run to the semis to me would indicate that things are headed in a better direction than most believe.

Last year's team was bad, that is not a good benchmark. So is this year team, but the expectations going into the year were totally different.

I would be happy with one with if we happen to get the bye. If not then two wins. Anything else would be gravy. And this team can win it all. So mad I will miss the conference tourney.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I kind of thought the team had quit a couple weeks ago, and fortunately it looks like I was wrong. As for tournament wins, I'll say that a championship game appearance would make me comfortable (not ecstatic) with Benford's return for year three. If we were to somehow win the CUSA championship, then I would admit that I have been very wrong.

• Upvote 2

There is nothing he can do that will give me more faith in him.

Winning an NCAA tournament game would do it, but I don't think he can accomplish that.

For me, it would take a win over one of the top 5 teams. To give me faith in him, short term. Other than those top 5 teams, we stack up favorably, talent wise, with every other team in the conference and beating them doesn't say we're overachieving. Just would be a sign of not underachieving, which is a good thing in its own.

My biggest doubt in Benford is long term, especially once our 7 current juniors graduate after next season. We haven't gotten much production from our posts, and that is mainly a result of how late in the process they have all been signed. It's one thing to have to resort to 5 late signees with 3 starters returning, but to need 7 to come last minute while returning zero starters (which may be the case after next season) would be extremely tough to recover from.

He needs to lock up some good players early who will actually make it to campus. JUCO and high school. His track record here scares me with this task.

• Upvote 3

We're at Ground Zero.

We're at a point where Benford has won just enough to dissipate the knee-jerk hate analysis, but we are a bottom-conference, terrible team.

We're celebrating wins over terrible teams, crossing our fingers for byes, and questioning the status of our program as we barely approach a 0.500 season.

We're at Ground Zero.

Benford may improve, but you can't deny the damage done the last 1.5+ years. The discussion is no longer about why Coach X sucks, it's about why we - as an athletic program - allowed Coach X to burn a program that was really starting to roll after 10 years of buildup.

This feels somewhat like one of JJ's first years. Except I have a bad taste in my mouth.

• Upvote 3

I judge Benford based on team performance again D 1 teams. Based upon that, this year is a failure even if we end up with a winning record. Please don't justify our high school non conference home schedule by saying "everyone does it." No wonder we crawfished out of game at UTA.

Completely agreed. Subtract the non D1 wins and let's see where we are.