Thoughts from the UNT signing day event

emmitt01

Have you driven 35E during rush hour? It is a 45 minute to 1 hour in rush hour from where I live in Carrollton; more if you live further south. If there is any kind of accident, add another 15 minute minimum. Not a fun drive at all and it'll be worse once the expansion project is into full swing.

Is there a rush hour on fall Saturdays in Dallas?

Weird.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Coach MaC wondered why we can get 35-39,000 at the Heart of Dallas Bowl, yet we cannot get 31,000 to Apogee.

I could see a real frustration in MaC's face and tone when he spoke about this. RV asked the crowd last night to each bring one new person to the games.

Coach Mac also said the NT-Texas game would be a nationally televised game. Probably to see the 2014 Mean Green. Although some might tune in to see the new coached team at Texas.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

For those of us who have been going to Denton from Dallas forever the trip is not a big deal, but for those not used to it the trip is a real pain - especially at night. We need to utilize the ATrain as we did for the HOD and work on getting more Denton county residents to the games. We need to work toward the kind of fan base in Denton that Tech has in Lubbock, Baylor has in Waco and TCU has in Ft. Worth. Not all of those fans are alumni of those respective schools, but they do support the local team. I'm not sure how to accomplish this, but it is something we need to work on.
  • Upvote 2

You sure like to point fingers. Loan me that $80 in gas, 8 hours of drive time, and two meals to spend "15-25 bucks" to support my school. Let me know when you get out of HS.

huh? 80 bucks to drive from DFW to Denton? And you are damn right I'm pointing fingers, it's called holding the fan base accountable. However, wasn't pointing a finger directly at you, but to everyone. As far as HS, been outta that for almost a decade.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

huh? 80 bucks to drive from DFW to Denton? And you are damn right I'm pointing fingers, it's called holding the fan base accountable. However, wasn't pointing a finger directly at you, but to everyone. As far as HS, been outta that for almost a decade.

I'm thinking he was talking about Georgetown fans not wanting to drive all the way to Denton.

First off: Stop calling people names. It is childish and counterproductive. Can you not understand that the people on this board are the diehards? This isn't the 1%, It's the .1%

Of course people on here are going to drive long distances to go to UNT games, that's what we do. But guess what, 99% of the alumni aren't diehard fans. And if you ever want to sell out Apogee, hell, have to expand it, you have to get the non diehards to come on board.

So you traveled to a bunch of football games? Congrats. How many swim team events did you make? How about the best program we have, soccer, did you make the trip to Norman last year to watch NT Soccer cream OU? How about the Texas Legends? They are short drive away, how many minor league basketball games did you make last year? What, none? Because you aren't a fan of them? MOST OF OUR ALUMNI DON'T CARE ABOUT OUR TEAMS! Acting like a bunch of self righteous jerks isn't going to attract them.

We need to make these events attractive. Mac and the team are doing their part. Do yours. Don't call alumni who don't make the trip pathetic and call them pussies. Buy them a ticket, offer to host them, go out of your way to make sure they have a great time at the game. They will come back once they see what they are missing. Or, look down your nose at them, just don't drive people away by calling them names, it's the least you can do.

PS: Oh, and I am pretty sure you can't brag about being a Mean Green road warrior unless you made a trip to the Kibbie Dome.

• Upvote 7

First off: Stop calling people names. It is childish and counterproductive. Can you not understand that the people on this board are the diehards? This isn't the 1%, It's the .1%

Of course people on here are going to drive long distances to go to UNT games, that's what we do. But guess what, 99% of the alumni aren't diehard fans. And if you ever want to sell out Apogee, hell, have to expand it, you have to get the non diehards to come on board.

So you traveled to a bunch of football games? Congrats. How many swim team events did you make? How about the best program we have, soccer, did you make the trip to Norman last year to watch NT Soccer cream OU? How about the Texas Legends? They are short drive away, how many minor league basketball games did you make last year? What, none? Because you aren't a fan of them? MOST OF OUR ALUMNI DON'T CARE ABOUT OUR TEAMS! Acting like a bunch of self righteous jerks isn't going to attract them.

We need to make these events attractive. Mac and the team are doing their part. Do yours. Don't call alumni who don't make the trip pathetic and call them pussies. Buy them a ticket, offer to host them, go out of your way to make sure they have a great time at the game. They will come back once they see what they are missing. Or, look down your nose at them, just don't drive people away by calling them names, it's the least you can do.

PS: Oh, and I am pretty sure you can't brag about being a Mean Green road warrior unless you made a trip to the Kibbie Dome.

Prince Akeem told me to say he approves of this message.

I wish Mack could use his influence with strong to get a U.T,

Game at Apogee. Talk about standing room only crowds. You would

Definately see one there.

Come on, man! Haven't you heard? The best we can ever be expected to bring to Apogee are Houston and Indiana.

That was such a coup!!!

I go to as many basketball games that I can make it to and will be at the opening home softball game of the year on February 20th. Football isn't the only thing I go and support. I go to whatever I can go to.

YGTBSM Do you really think that Texas would play in a stadium that holds less than 31,000? In state, at that?

If they ever agree to play us away from the comfy confines of Austin it would be in a place like Jerry World (unless it would someday be as a conference mate). I don't even blame them. They can play at DKR Memorial Stadium, guarantee us a million, and still make a lot of money. We'd have to charge in the neighborhood of $100 per ticket to give them the same deal (and expect a decent profit).

Look, our team is improving by leaps and bounds. We have an exceptionally nice stadium, But, we haven't had success before this past season for nearly ten years. Tap the brakes and maybe we won't attract another carrecamino, or whatever his name is. There are other P5 and high G5 schools that might come here that draw a lot less than 100,000 per home game but still fill Apogee.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I think SMU is a good home game opponent. I expect that game to sell out regardless of the UT outcome. Southern Miss, La Tech, and homecoming paired with the SMU game are 4 games that will attract very good crowds. We need to sell out the stadium at least a handful of times to even attempt to get legit P5 schools to come into Apogee. That probably won't happen until an expansion takes place so that gives us 5-8 years to get 15-20 sellout a in that timeframe.