Who we beat on the recruiting trail

BillySee58

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/2444.pdf?CFID=41540788&CFTOKEN=82566006

Not sure if the new report is out for 2013 yet. For the record I don't actually look down on UNT (even though I'm more of a science person) or any of the other schools on that list. Why? Because we're at the same stage (all at slightly different points) for the exact same thing. We've all made improvements and probably no one has made as many strides as us--10 years ago UTSA had no business being in that list and I would've tucked my tail between my legs and walked away. This ain't your daddy's UTSA though. Keep in mind we are a 45 yr old university as well.

"Way better" is the difference between the three Tier One schools in Texas and the rest of us. Not between us. Maybe UTD might be able to claim that they're clearly ahead of the pack but that's about it. Whatever advantages you may have are once again giving you a grossly inflated sense of superiority.

Edited by correcamino
  • Downvote 1

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/2444.pdf?CFID=41540788&CFTOKEN=82566006

Not sure if the new report is out for 2013 yet. For the record I don't actually look down on UNT (even though I'm more of a science person) or any of the other schools on that list. Why? Because we're at the same stage (all at slightly different points) for the exact same thing. We've all made improvements and probably no one has made as many strides as us--10 years ago UTSA had no business being in that list and I would've tucked my tail between my legs and walked away. This ain't your daddy's UTSA though. Keep in mind we are a 45 yr old university as well.

"Way better" is the difference between the three Tier One schools in Texas and the rest of us. Not between us. Maybe UTD might be able to claim that they're clearly ahead of the pack but that's about it. Whatever advantages you may have are once again giving you a grossly inflated sense of superiority.

I don't see TTU and Houston here...have they achieved Tier 1 status...I don't think so?

I don't see TTU and Houston here...have they achieved Tier 1 status...I don't think so?

Recruiting trail? LOL!

Yes, they both have but here is our hopeful ace in the hole...new UNT president Neal Smatresk.

"At UNLV, Smatresk emphasizes the importance of student access and success as well as research and innovation. Under his direction, UNLV completed a $537 million fundraising campaign that included creating UNLV's largest active scholarship program, established an Academic Success Center to help students graduate on time, and opened Brookings Mountain West in partnership with the prestigious Brookings Institution.

At UNT, Smatresk will be charged with leading the university to build stronger community partnerships and strengthen its research, scholarship and artistic endeavors while continuing to expand the quality of its student body and faculty.

As the nation's 24th largest public university, UNT is growing as a nationally recognized university that is committed to offering the best undergraduate educational experience in Texas. UNT graduated 8,400 students last year from its 12 colleges and schools and offers 97 bachelor's, 81 master's and 35 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized."

http://research.unt.edu/research-profiles/neal-smatresk-named-unts-president-effective-february-3

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Are you serious??? please tell me you are joking :lolu: are you comparing UNT and utsa??? lol

Are you serious??? please tell me you are joking :lolu: are you comparing UNT and utsa??? lol

Yes he is. And once he was proven wrong, he's just making excuses with no validity to make himself feel better about his poor college choice. All "tier one" means is you get more funding. UNT has two things holding it back; endowment and restricted research. We hit the rest of the criteria. You can be sure Smatresk is going to figure out how to fix that.

Recruiting trail? LOL!

Yes, they both have but here is our hopeful ace in the hole...new UNT president Neal Smatresk.

"At UNLV, Smatresk emphasizes the importance of student access and success as well as research and innovation. Under his direction, UNLV completed a $537 million fundraising campaign that included creating UNLV's largest active scholarship program, established an Academic Success Center to help students graduate on time, and opened Brookings Mountain West in partnership with the prestigious Brookings Institution.

At UNT, Smatresk will be charged with leading the university to build stronger community partnerships and strengthen its research, scholarship and artistic endeavors while continuing to expand the quality of its student body and faculty.

As the nation's 24th largest public university, UNT is growing as a nationally recognized university that is committed to offering the best undergraduate educational experience in Texas. UNT graduated 8,400 students last year from its 12 colleges and schools and offers 97 bachelor's, 81 master's and 35 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized."

http://research.unt.edu/research-profiles/neal-smatresk-named-unts-president-effective-february-3

GMG!

When did they reach Tier One status officially? I never saw anything on this. Honestly, I am a little disappointed with our progress so far. Our endowment is ridiculously low to where we need to be along with some other things. I really hope our new president makes some big strides to achieve this "status" and continue raising funds beyond that. I'm just tired of UNT always being the underdog when we have so much potential.

When did they reach Tier One status officially? I never saw anything on this. Honestly, I am a little disappointed with our progress so far. Our endowment is ridiculously low to where we need to be along with some other things. I really hope our new president makes some big strides to achieve this "status" and continue raising funds beyond that. I'm just tired of UNT always being the underdog when we have so much potential.

It's really just endowment, and since the endowment is low the restricted research is low. They go hand in hand. We've hit the other metrics they use. Problem is we discouraged donations for years, so we're just playing catch up. Which is why schools like Texas at San Antonio and San Marcos River College have caught up or even passed us. We're all starting from the same place in that regard. Hopefully Smatresk can push that endowment high very quickly like he did at UNLV.

• Upvote 1

It's really just endowment, and since the endowment is low the restricted research is low. They go hand in hand. We've hit the other metrics they use. Problem is we discouraged donations for years, so we're just playing catch up. Which is why schools like Texas at San Antonio and San Marcos River College have caught up or even passed us. We're all starting from the same place in that regard. Hopefully Smatresk can push that endowment high very quickly like he did at UNLV.

There are some other things that surprise me where we are as well though, although they may not be requirements for tier one status, we should still be improved on those things. Regarding endowment, I dont' hope Smatresk pushes the endowment higher quickly, I fully expect him to.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

I wouldn't discount UTSA. They are the only game in town, and I would take living in San Antonio over Denton in a heartbeat.Looks like we are recruiting the same football players as Texas State and UTSA, so I don't understand looking down our noses at them. As I recall they beat us at home when we were playing for West Division Title and being host of CUSA championship game, and they were playing for pride.If anyone is a sleeping giant in the next 10 years it might be the Roadrunners.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I wouldn't discount UTSA. They are the only game in town, and I would take living in San Antonio over Denton in a heartbeat.Looks like we are recruiting the same football players as Texas State and UTSA, so I don't understand looking down our noses at them. As I recall they beat us at home when we were playing for West Division Title and being host of CUSA championship game, and they were playing for pride.If anyone is a sleeping giant in the next 10 years it might be the Roadrunners.

Leave.

Go party on the sewerwalk in the abandoned mall and restaurants. What a dump.

Edited by meangreener

This is one of those times that even *I* can't defend Dickey.

North Texas vs Texas Aggregate Scores:

Dickey (0-3) Total Agg: -90 Avg Agg: -30

Parker (0-1) Tot/Avg Agg: -18

Nelson (0-2) Tot Agg: 23 Avg Agg: -11.5

Tyler (0-1) Tot/Avg Agg: -13

Fry (0-2) Tot Agg: -14 Avg Agg: -7

Only thing I will add is Dickey playing them at their toughest, when they had a national champion team and averaged 10.7 wins the years they played them.

Parker played a 6 win UT team.

Nelson faced teams that averaged 8.7 wins.

Tylers had a tough 10 win team to face.

Fry faced a program that averaged 7.0 wins in the years we played them.

ETA: Although if Dodge had gotten to play Texas the only thing that would have saved him a 70 point loss average is the fact he played there.

Just keep in mind Nelson outperformed his adversaries with 20 fewer ships. Against tU he led 21-7 at half time (should have been 28-7 if not for the tU 12th man ), and lost on another phantom call by the tU 12th man in the final 56 seconds.

fz6rbRY.jpg

As a 1-AA coach coaching against larger budgets and player numbers he managed wins against TCU, SMU and Tech. From what I witnessed in Athens Georgia from the sidelines D Mac has returned that spirit that the Nelson-coached teams used to have playing the bigger programs.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Poverty schools.

Neither utsa or unt will ever make NRUF eligibility.

We are both a ways off, I agree. Outsiders view us as second options to the best unis in the state. The proof is in the report. I guarantee you people around the state dont view UNT as some prestigious institution like these delusional homers do. Same with Denton, I've never heard of anybody dying to vacation/visit Denton yet you'd think it's the most desirable town in Texas from the way they make it sound. :lolu:

They truly have no hope. Maybe that's why they've always been mediocre. Why improve when students/alumni truly believe it's a top university in Texas? The rest of us know it's not but we aren't paying to attend/donating so who cares.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board also compares them in the report. I think they're just a bit more credible and less delusional than you so Ill put more stock in what they have to say tbh.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are both a ways off, I agree. Outsiders view us as second options to the best unis in the state. The proof is in the report. I guarantee you people around the state dont view UNT as some prestigious institution like these delusional homers do. Same with Denton, I've never heard of anybody dying to vacation/visit Denton yet you'd think it's the most desirable town in Texas from the way they make it sound. :lolu:

They truly have no hope. Maybe that's why they've always been mediocre. Why improve when students/alumni truly believe it's a top university in Texas? The rest of us know it's not but we aren't paying to attend/donating so who cares.

It's funny what getting a football team does to people. We'd have never heard about them if they haven't gotten one. Now, in the off season we have to hear about their academics from a keyboard cowboy.

Lulz.

It's funny what getting a football team does to people. We'd have never heard about them if they haven't gotten one. Now, in the off season we have to hear about their academics from a keyboard cowboy.

Lulz.

Works both ways. You think we had heard of you? You have always been the most irrelevant FBS program in the state and one of the most irrelevant unis. :lolu:

• Upvote 1

I've never heard of anybody dying to vacation/visit Denton yet you'd think it's the most desirable town in Texas from the way they make it sound. :lolu:

SA and Denton? Apples and Oranges?

Denton is a college town which also has all the amenities of 2 large metropolitan cities close by--best of both worlds, perhaps?

SA is a large metropolitan city that is a tourist destination, but is College Station, Waco or Lubbock also tourist destinations, too? Most would say they are not.

The comparison of SA and Denton is really a waste of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C73A5q8nTQ#t=0

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Works both ways. You think we had heard of you? You have always been the most irrelevant FBS program in the state and one of the most irrelevant unis. :lolu:

Irrelevant, eh?

Don't feed the troll anymore. I'm done.

Doesn't understand statistics. Probably is 17 and just was CAP'd to UTSA.

Edited by meangreener