Harry

Mike Canales is staying at UNT.

The Mean Greens offensive coordinator, who led UNT to one of its best seasons offensively in program history, Tweeted this morning that he will be back with the Mean Green next year.

He later confirmed that he will not be leaving the program to become the head coach at Sam Houston State.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/01/canales-staying-at-unt.html/

Really happy personally and for the Mean Green, but I do think Coach Canales has earned a shot at being a HC. When the right opportunity comes for him, I hope he grabs it and has great success. Good guy, good coach...tons of experience and bottom line is, some school will ....WILL ... Be lucky to have him as their HC one of these days.

In the meantime, love that you will still be part of the great Mean Green Nation, Coach.

• Upvote 5

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Not a good situation to step into, having to keep 4-5 assistants from previous staff is not a good place to start. KingDL will tell you all about "having to" to keep assistants from the previous staff is not good ;) No money there to buy out contracts, or put into the facilities.

Canales will be a HC someday, but not this year. Exactly what I said 2 weeks ago. I am excited for another MeanGreen season, and to be bowling again next fall. CUSA Champs!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Not a good situation to step into, having to keep 4-5 assistants from previous staff is not a good place to start. KingDL will tell you all about "having to" to keep assistants from the previous staff is not good ;) No money there to buy out contracts, or put into the facilities.

Canales will be a HC someday, but not this year. Exactly what I said 2 weeks ago. I am excited for another MeanGreen season, and to be bowling again next fall. CUSA Champs!

You were right on target as usual. Appreciate you being on here and good to have Chico in the fold.

Happy for us, but feel bad for him. Hope he gets his shot soon.

The SHSU job is not as alluring as you think. Honestly, they draw very poorly for the amount of success they have, they play in a very old stadium with a low budget. Not much campus life. Great school, but it's not somewhere you go to really massively grow your career. Their success is completely recent. I think Chico deserves an FBS shot, hope to see him take over when Mac leaves.

The SHSU job is not as alluring as you think. Honestly, they draw very poorly for the amount of success they have, they play in a very old stadium with a low budget. Not much campus life. Great school, but it's not somewhere you go to really massively grow your career. Their success is completely recent. I think Chico deserves an FBS shot, hope to see him take over when Mac leaves.

They are very similar to where UNT was 4-5 yrs ago.

Bobby Williams has been there since at least 1998 and has done very little, just goes along to get along and hope for success.

Stadium is older but they fill it more per capita then UNT does but obviously something was not right if their coach leaves for a lateral move in reality to Ga Southern.

Great campus with lots of upgrades, but there is no sense of urgency to get higher funding and be a true powerhouse. There are many similarities to UNT, but UNT now appears to be trying to advance for the most part.

• Upvote 1

They are very similar to where UNT was 4-5 yrs ago.

Bobby Williams has been there since at least 1998 and has done very little, just goes along to get along and hope for success.

Stadium is older but they fill it more per capita then UNT does but obviously something was not right if their coach leaves for a lateral move in reality to Ga Southern.

Great campus with lots of upgrades, but there is no sense of urgency to get higher funding and be a true powerhouse. There are many similarities to UNT, but UNT now appears to be trying to advance for the most part.

They are, but on a much smaller scale. 4,000 at a playoff game is embarrassing. SFA routinely outdraws them. Like I said, athletics is nice at SHSU but they don't back them much. Likely that Chico's contract at SHSU is the same or smaller than his UNT contract. And if "success" at SHSU gets you a job at Georgia Southern, I think he's better off waiting for a better opportunity. I've been to SHSU games and Youngstown State games. Both FCS programs. One feels like real college football, one feels like high school. It's clear SHSU's interest in athletics is very small.

Anyway, my point is, that him going there is a lateral move or even worse a downgrade.

Edited by meangreener

Canales is in his early 50's. Sometimes you just wanna be the head coach, and many schools are not gonna want to hire someone that age who's never been a head guy before (they want young up and comers). What I am saying is, I am sure to Canales, that even the worst head job is an opportunity he wants.

They are, but on a much smaller scale. 4,000 at a playoff game is embarrassing. SFA routinely outdraws them. Like I said, athletics is nice at SHSU but they don't back them much. Likely that Chico's contract at SHSU is the same or smaller than his UNT contract. And if "success" at SHSU gets you a job at Georgia Southern, I think he's better off waiting for a better opportunity. I've been to SHSU games and Youngstown State games. Both FCS programs. One feels like real college football, one feels like high school. It's clear SHSU's interest in athletics is very small.

Anyway, my point is, that him going there is a lateral move or even worse a downgrade.

you made the better point, SHSU has athletics just to have athletics in many respects and then the AD just enjoys the accolades when the team makes the occassional playoff run, but not much school spirit overall

Canales is in his early 50's. Sometimes you just wanna be the head coach, and many schools are not gonna want to hire someone that age who's never been a head guy before (they want young up and comers). What I am saying is, I am sure to Canales, that even the worst head job is an opportunity he wants.

Certainly didn't seem like Canales was that interested in the job, from reports.

you made the better point, SHSU has athletics just to have athletics in many respects and then the AD just enjoys the accolades when the team makes the occassional playoff run, but not much school spirit overall

I think we both have valid points, I'm just not sure Chico wanted to fight against an AD for budget and dedication issues, just to end up in a dead-end job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we both have valid points, I'm just not sure Chico wanted to fight against an AD for budget and dedication issues, just to end up in a dead-end job.

Yeah good to see not much has changed since I was at SHSU, sad really they had good basketball under Marlin and then 2 straight National Title Games in Football, but they did not build on it. They only get up for the battle of the piney woods against SFA that is now wow down in Houston. Bobby Williams has one of the easier AD jobs in America right now.

This is very bad new for our fans who don't understand that the run sets up play action. It makes for boring Playstation.

Let the wailing about "running on first down" begin.

I suspect that Canales sends down much more interesting plays to run than we realize. But they get vetoed at the sideline. Imagine how boring our offense would be if we had a total "yes man" at OC.