SFA forced to forfeit game vs Incarnate Word for playing too many non

NT03

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24402726/southland-conference-forces-stephen-f-austin-to-forfeit-game?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"SFA's home men's game against Incarnate Word on Feb. 1 will be forfeited to avoid NCAA penalties," according to the league's press release. "Stephen F. Austin men's team has played three non-Division I teams this season, an exhibition game against Arkansas Tech, and regular-season games against Texas-Tyler and Elmhurst (Ill). During the 2013-14 academic year, Abilene Christian and UIW are not Division I schedule-counters as the new Southland programs transition from Division II."

Edited by NT03

It's just hard to imagine this wouldn't have come up yet, although if they didn't realize that about UIW then maybe it's not out of the realm of conceivability.

And yes Kram, I agree. It's in the bag for you IMO.

Sounds like the Southland conference is forcing the forfeit and not the NCAA
  • Upvote 1

Well there is many a team in CUSA with 2 or even 3 division 2 games on their schedule so UNT is not standing out by any means.

The article says that the NCAA prohibits teams from playing more than 4 games against teams outside Division 1 in a season. According to the article SFA has to forfeit partly because one of their exhibition games against a non-D1 opponent counts.

If that's true then we do stand out, since we have played 5 non-D1 schools counting our 2 exhibition games.

Edited by BillySee58

The article says that the NCAA prohibits teams from playing more than 4 games against teams outside Division 1 in a season. According to the article SFA has to forfeit partly because one of their exhibition games against a non-D1 opponent counts.

If that's true then we do stand out, since we have played 5 non-D1 schools counting our 2 exhibition games.

Wayland baptist and Northwood. Who is the third? And would other schools have not had two division 2 exhibition games? We have had two every year for a while. Most schools do that. Just off the top of my head I know for a fact ECU has played at least 4 division 2 schools in the regular season and I know they played two exhibition games. Southern miss and UAB also had two games (maybe 3 each in the OOC schedule. They also each played 2 exhibition games. They might as well just take down the whole conference then...

UTSA played two division two exhibition games and 3 division 2 games in the OOC as well. Now I'm looking at espn and it's very common.

A ton of teams are right at 4 or potentially 5 depending our their exhibition games.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

Wayland baptist and Northwood. Who is the third? And would other schools have not had two division 2 exhibition games? We have had two every year for a while. Most schools do that. Just off the top of my head I know for a fact ECU has played at least 4 division 2 schools in the regular season and I know they played two exhibition games. Southern miss and UAB also had two games (maybe 3 each in the OOC schedule. They also each played 2 exhibition games. They might as well just take down the whole conference then...

A ton of teams are right at 4 or potentially 5 depending our their exhibition games.

Incarnate Word is the third that we have played in the regular season. I don't know, but if the article is accurate then any team with 5 or more should have to forfeit a game.

Incarnate Word is the third that we have played in the regular season. I don't know, but if the article is accurate then any team with 5 or more should have to forfeit a game.

That's all confusing because they are division one now but somehow they count as division 2.... Weird. Every single one of their OOC games are division two games. Do they get penalized.

• Upvote 1

Dumb rule if true... who cares... getting into NCAA tournament is based mostly on winning your conference or doing extremely well there.. ignore wins against lower divisions for that purpose. ... Football is a bit different... no large NCAA tournament.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Our 9-6 record does not include the exhibition games. Check schedule at http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/ntex-m-baskbl-sched.html

That's not what's in doubt. SFA's exhibition game doesn't count towards their overall record either, but apparently it counts towards the number of non-D1 teams that they've played this year. Which counts towards the max of 4 non-D1 teams that a team can play a year.

If exhibition games count against that total (not the overall record), like it did for SFA, then we have played 5 non-D1 teams which apparently would mean we would have to forfeit a game.

I wonder if only one of our exhibition games would count? That would keep us at the max of 4.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/92437/ncaa-rules-force-schools-into-forfeits

Today is that day, and 20.9.8.1 is that bylaw. It reads: "An institution may schedule and play not more than four basketball games, including any contest (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition), in an academic year against institutions that are not members of Division I."

In other words, there are limits to the number of non-D1 teams you can play. Nonconference opponents dont supply data to the Ratings Percentage Index, and so (among other reasons) you cant spend your entire nonconference season scheduling opponents that dont provide data to the RPI. Theres a limit, and teams abide by it.

Edited by NT03

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/92437/ncaa-rules-force-schools-into-forfeits

Today is that day, and 20.9.8.1 is that bylaw. It reads: "An institution may schedule and play not more than four basketball games, including any contest (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition), in an academic year against institutions that are not members of Division I."

In other words, there are limits to the number of non-D1 teams you can play. Nonconference opponents dont supply data to the Ratings Percentage Index, and so (among other reasons) you cant spend your entire nonconference season scheduling opponents that dont provide data to the RPI. Theres a limit, and teams abide by it.

Then we may have to forfeit that game against Wayland Baptist. But one thing that I just remembered is that while we counted the game as a win, they did not count it as a loss. It was an unrecorded game if I remember correctly.