Dallas' new 911 policy

emmitt01

If you dial 911 we will send police officers to respond to your emergency. Of course we would, you've already paid for the service.*

*We won't really be sending police to your house. You need to come to police headquarters Monday-Friday between 8a-5p**

**We actually aren't open on Tuesdays or Thursdays. But we'll be there Monday, Wednesday, and Friday***

***Monday, Wednesday and Friday after noon actually. But, check this out...we're gonna have weekend hours because of the overwhelming demand for police service!!!! Aint we grand?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If you dial 911 we will send police officers to respond to your emergency. Of course we would, you've already paid for the service.*

*We won't really be sending police to your house. You need to come to police headquarters Monday-Friday between 8a-5p**

**We actually aren't open on Tuesdays or Thursdays. But we'll be there Monday, Wednesday, and Friday***

***Monday, Wednesday and Friday after noon actually. But, check this out...we're gonna have weekend hours because of the overwhelming demand for police service!!!! Aint we grand?

That's pretty darn funny!

But, as I recall from the news media, and from one good cop sent in to help clean up the mess, the Dallas Police have had some pretty significant 911 screw-ups. Including one that the folks, allegedly, claim was responsible for a family member death. Probably more likely a false claim, but made the papers. And, perhaps those actually responsible were not the ones who caught the public wrath and blame.

Like I said...claimed. I make no comment as to its validity one way or the other as I was, thankfully, not party to any of that at all...but, using Dallas 911 to mock the ticket office is interesting. No one, allegedly, lost their life due to the ticket offices screw-ups.

DPS is a big and diverse force that, given the situation, does a very fine job of protecting the citizens of Dallas. But, like all organizations, does screw it up from time to time as witnessed by the various cop firings and probations that seem to hit the papers on a somewhat regular basis. And, when police screw up, lives including those who wear the blue, are often at stake one way or the other. Tough to see much humor in that...even the mocking kind.

But...it was pretty darn good...just wish the example was something other than the police.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

That's pretty darn funny!

But, as I recall from the news media, and from one good cop sent in to help clean up the mess, the Dallas Police have had some pretty significant 911 screw-ups. Including one that the folks, allegedly, claim was responsible for a family member death. Probably more likely a false claim, but made the papers. And, perhaps those actually responsible were not the ones who caught the public wrath and blame.

Like I said...claimed. I make no comment as to its validity one way or the other as I was, thankfully, not party to any of that at all...but, using Dallas 911 to mock the ticket office is interesting. No one, allegedly, lost their life due to the ticket offices screw-ups.

DPS is a big and diverse force that, given the situation, does a very fine job of protecting the citizens of Dallas. But, like all organizations, does screw it up from time to time as witnessed by the various cop firings and probations that seem to hit the papers on a somewhat regular basis. And, when police screw up, lives including those who wear the blue, are often at stake one way or the other. Tough to see much humor in that...even the mocking kind.

But...it was pretty darn good...just wish the example was something other than the police.

It's true, mistakes are made at DPD. Here's the two clear differences though:

1)The message doesn't change for us. We don't have differing service hours depending on who you talk to.

2)As you yourself noted, officers who can't hack it or embarrass te department are FIRED. Accountability, how very novel.

It's true, mistakes are made at DPD. Here's the two clear differences though:

1)The message doesn't change for us. We don't have differing service hours depending on who you talk to.

2)As you yourself noted, officers who can't hack it or embarrass te department are FIRED. Accountability, how very novel.

Correct. Perhaps some changes might be made that would keep this from happening in the future and perhaps when these cops get fired they would stay fired. That would be real accountability...not window dressing. Seems the message is, not to worry, screw-up, get fired...no problem. You'll be back on the job shortly. Thank you union rep and/or threatened or real lawsuit. We often read they are fired and within a short few months, right back on duty. Don't you just love that sort of accountability? This glass house thing is tough sometimes and no career is more in a glass house than that of one who serves and protects. Tough deal for sure. Not for the faint of heart.

But, we can all hope that some changes might happen at UNT as well due to this ticket situation. Procedure changes...as you note...can be as good as people changes from time to time depending upon the message. Chief Brown is still around, right? Head guy...responsible guy, right? Instituted some procedural changes that helped, right? Keeping fingers crossed, but still think it odd to use as a mocking example.

But, let me be clear...I did have a really good laugh. It was pretty darn funny. And, I'm sure the message resonated with lots of folks. Good one, Lt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Is having the officers FedEx'ed to your house an option?

As long as you order the officers through a City authorized officer outlet, so the City will get its cut. Sorry, couldn't help it.

This thread should be locked as it hasn't mentioned uniforms one time.

If and when the police do show up what uniforms will they be wearing

This thread is turning HOF worthy pretty quick...the three above are pretty darn funny! This is good stuff fellas...you really do have to chuckle at this!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This thread should be locked as it hasn't mentioned uniforms one time.

If and when the police do show up what uniforms will they be wearing

Blue ones, with black accents.

The officers love the black accents so the recruiters use them. There are a few Sgts whose panties are in the wad and keep saying "We're the boys in BLUE, not black!" But we ignore them.

Some of the older officers won't shut up about the uniforms we wore under a police chief 100 years ago. Aparently we would have been the best police force EVER if only the city council had supported him...or something like that.

A chief ten years ago put the officers in all black uniforms because he was retiring and did it as a parting gift to the officers who requested them. He took us to four straight years of crime reduction. We named a practice range after him but still demonize him at every chance.

Then we hired a chief from a podunk town and he brought his podunk town staff and uniforms with him. Under his command we had worse crime than Detroit and inner city Chicago combined. He left the department broke, corrupt and the laughing stock of police departments. Yet, still, some people keep up with where he's working now.

• Upvote 3

Other than people who read this board, will anyone else know about all of this? Whose job is it to get the word out to the public anyway? If they can't hire people who will get this information to every citizen, the chief needs to be fired.

• Upvote 1

I went to pick up my tickets from the ticket office yesterday and the young lady who was dispersing the tickets was getting an ear full from a dude who I'm sure thought she was the one responsible for this mess. I felt bad for her as she was being as accommodating as she could, but still caught shit from this guy. Look, I'm not an apologist for the AD, but being in the service industry, I am cognizant of how things well intentioned can get screwed up. I'm not an insider either, so I don't really know what happened either. What I do know, is that from Rick on down to contract help, I'm sure this is not the way they wanted it rolled out. Has their been a history of unresponsiveness with some of you, yes. Should contingencies always be in place, yes. Was there organizational dysfunction? More than likely. IMHO, if you want to bitch, take it to the top where it is deserved and don't unload your venom on someone who is trying to do their best to correct a stupid situation. While not a totally new situation for the AD, we've never "hosted" a bowl game before. Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt when we're so quick to assign blame. I've been in those situations before and unfortunately, shit happens. I saw people in the ticket office yesterday who were doing the best they could to correct an unfortunate situation. I just happier than a pig in shit that we're going to a bowl game.

GO MEAN GREEN! BEAT THE HELL OUTTA UNLV!!

• Upvote 2

I went to pick up my tickets from the ticket office yesterday and the young lady who was dispersing the tickets was getting an ear full from a dude who I'm sure thought she was the one responsible for this mess. I felt bad for her as she was being as accommodating as she could, but still caught shit from this guy. Look, I'm not an apologist for the AD, but being in the service industry, I am cognizant of how things well intentioned can get screwed up. I'm not an insider either, so I don't really know what happened either. What I do know, is that from Rick on down to contract help, I'm sure this is not the way they wanted it rolled out. Has their been a history of unresponsiveness with some of you, yes. Should contingencies always be in place, yes. Was there organizational dysfunction? More than likely. IMHO, if you want to bitch, take it to the top where it is deserved and don't unload your venom on someone who is trying to do their best to correct a stupid situation. While not a totally new situation for the AD, we've never "hosted" a bowl game before. Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt when we're so quick to assign blame. I've been in those situations before and unfortunately, shit happens. I saw people in the ticket office yesterday who were doing the best they could to correct an unfortunate situation. I just happier than a pig in shit that we're going to a bowl game.

GO MEAN GREEN! BEAT THE HELL OUTTA UNLV!!

Problem is, even after they knew there was a problem , they did very little to fix it.

No email to all Mean Green Club members with an apology and instructions on when and where tickets would be available and Differing information on when and where you could pick up your tickets depending in who you spoke to.

When something goes wrong, you fix it. But this administrations seems to just want to cross their fingers and hope for the best every single time.

Maddening.

Problem is, even after they knew there was a problem , they did very little to fix it.

No email to all Mean Green Club members with an apology and instructions on when and where tickets would be available and Differing information on when and where you could pick up your tickets depending in who you spoke to.

When something goes wrong, you fix it. But this administrations seems to just want to cross their fingers and hope for the best every single time.

Maddening.

Understood, but I have a hard time believing that nothing was done. Time is of the essence to make sure everyone gets their tickets. Rick made a statement through Harry as to how the issue would be resolved. Sending individual emails is time consuming. Again, not making excuses for them, just giving the benefit of the doubt.

Understood, but I have a hard time believing that nothing was done. Time is of the essence to make sure everyone gets their tickets. Rick made a statement through Harry as to how the issue would be resolved. Sending individual emails is time consuming. Again, not making excuses for them, just giving the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure every member of the Mean Green Club is on a group email. So, no, one email to that group would not be 'time consuming."

And is having Harry post on a fan website really the professional way that you want this to be handled? Really?

And, yes, nothing was or has been done. No official correspondence explaining the problem and how you can get your tickets. None.

If I had not called the ticket office and asked where my tickets were, and I did not read this sight, I would be hoping my tickets showed up at the house tomorrow (they wouldn't have) and then been scrambling to figure out what the F was going on 2 days before the game, as I bet many a UNT fan will be the next couple of days.

A complete cluster which, amazingly, STILL has not been officially address with fans that give money to the program.

It's as small time as small time gets.

And nothing will be done about it.

Edited by UNT90

Maddening.

They also did very little to accept responsibility. Telling Harry to post something is dodging it. We all know RV posts on here, why couldn't he have done it? Why not record a 1 minute apology video from his phone to post on here? With how this has played out, I almost get the feeling they don't actually think they've done wrong. This coupled with the lady I got on the phone that was abrupt and cold when I asked how I could actually get my tickets.

I got an email yesterday outlining events for this week and an email Friday encouraging me to purchase tickets through the UNT ticket office, yet not one email explaining to me that my tickets are not coming by mail. It's like their approach is "well, when they don't get them, they will call us." Brilliant.